Stephen King mini-series month

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by awake69, Oct 9, 2015.

1. awake69

awake69 SS.org Regular

So, in observance of Halloween. My wife and I decided to binge watch as many Stephen King mini-series as possible. We finished IT last night and have the following ready to go next....
    1) Salem's Lot (the 1979 version with David Soul)
    2) The Stand
    3) Golden Years
    4) The Langoliers
    5) The Shining (I know it's not as classic as the Kubrick film, but a damn good watch just the same).
    6) Nightmares And Dreamscapes.

Anyone with favorites or have one that I may have missed?

setsuna7 likes this.
  2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Aw man that's a friggin good idea~!

3. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

I prefer the Salem's Lot with Rob Lowe version. Closer to the book.
    The Stand is the best ever IMHO.
    IT scared the .... out of me in 1992, I was 11 then, 34 now, still scares the .... out of me.

4. MYGFH

MYGFH Music your GF hates

The miniseries are epic but there are also some damn good moviesCarrie
    The Dark Half
    The Green Mile
    Children Of the Corn
    Cujo
    Maximum Overdrive

5. Bekanor

Bekanor Renegade Folk Hero

I picked up The Stand/The Langoliers DVD double set on the weekend and a few other horror movies I've been looking for on Blu Ray. All in prep for Halloween woo.

I was kind of bummed that The Stand isn't on blu ray, and that it wasn't available without The Langoliers as a parasitic rider (I just don't buy ....ing Balki as a bad guy).

6. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

The only very good Stephen King miniseries is the '79 Salem's Lot IMO. The Stand has some good aspects, but is sunk by low production values and a lot of cleaning up for TV. IT is a huge mess, mostly due to the second half, and I think people just remember it fondly because of Tim Curry being so effective. The Langoliers and The Shining are laughably bad. Haven't seen Golden Years, and I thought Nightmares and Dreamscapes was an actual series? I remember seeing an episode that was based on "Battlefield" or whatever the story was called with the guy fighting the toy soldiers. "Trucks" also managed the difficult task of making Maximum Overdrive look good in comparison.

I think Carrie (the original, of course, not the middling TV movie or the horrible theatrical remake) is one of the top 10 or so best horror flicks ever, though, and The Dead Zone is about a 9/10 level as well. I have extreme fondness for Creepshow (even though I don't think any of the segments were adaptations) and The Shining, which improves every time I watch it. The Running Man is one of the peak Arnold movies and is a scream, though it has almost nothing to do with Stephen King's story.

Stand by Me and The Shawshank Redemption are rightfully considered minor classics. Misery, the Mist, Hearts in Atlantis and The Green Mile are all solid, though kinda dull.

I've seen a lot of the average ones, too, like Cat's Eye, Creepshow 2 (the Raft segment), Secret Window, 1408, Dolores Claiborne, Pet Sematary, Firestarter, etc.

I just ordered the bluray of Christine, I'm eager to see that. It has a decent rep and John Carpenter was still in his hot streak back when he made it.

I've been meaning to watch Cujo and The Dark Half even though they're pretty widely reviled. I haven't bothered with many of the ones that are generally considered to be outright bad (ex Children of the Corn, Graveyard Shift, The Mangler, Thinner, basically every TV movie), though I have seen Maximum Overdrive multiple times and think the scene where the little league coach is killed by a soda machine and then a steamroller shows up and starts running over the kids is fantastic. I also kinda get a kick out of Dreamcatcher, mainly because of evil Morgan Freeman's evil hairstyle.

I wish they'd do a REAL version of The Stand, though it's probably impossible. I know they've made attempts in the past and it's just never gotten off the ground. Same deal with The Talisman and The Dark Tower (though I don't think I would actually watch The Dark Tower since there's so much dead space in those books).

The two I want to see adapted the most are "The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon" and "Gerald's Game." The first is quite involving, and the audiobook is legitimately creepy in many parts, it reminds me of the movie Prophecy (1979) if it did the bear monster right instead of hilariously. I know Stephen King's a big fan of Prophecy, so I bet he intended it that way. It's seriously creepy and with the right actress I think it could be a decent movie.

Gerald's Game is probably unfilmable, but it's BY FAR his scariest book, I was completely freaked out in a few sections of that, especially when she's trying to determine if the space cowboy is hidden in the corner of her room or not. :p

7. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

My most favorite King screenplay will always be Silver Bullet. If I were paraplegic, I'd wanna rock the hell out of a motorized wheelchair myself. :lol:

8. Bloodshredder

Bloodshredder SS.org Regular

As far as teh movies go:

Rose Red
    The Shining

I don#t really like how the other ones that I have seen, where done. In that regard, I liked the movie more.

but RR was one of the most scariest things I ever watched, as it combines everything I'm afraid of (empty houses and old womanX-)