Starting to actually get into running

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Origin, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

I just picked these up, read review here New Balance Minimus Zero Running Shoes Review | Running Shoes Guru

They are like running in paper thin socks as you feel everything.
    I will use these on the road and go to a better cushioned shoe for trails, I find the rocks kill my feet and runs.
    For trails I just threw out my last pair and am searching for some new stuff, I like the La Sportiva Vertical K.

In the padded shoes I run barefoot style.

2. vanhendrix

vanhendrix SS.org Regular

What kind of vibrams do you use? I initially got the treksports for trail running but found that I was landing too hard due to the 'rock blocking' stuff. After a bout of sore ankles I switched to the KSOs, which are fantastic. I keep sneaking up on things now because I'm so quiet when I run

3. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Tiger is pretty quiet too.....

See what I did there^

4. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

The bikila ls for road and spyridon ls for trail stuff. Havent had any hard landing issues with them.

5. vanhendrix

vanhendrix SS.org Regular

It was pouring rain so I decided to do a trail run in my treksports today for the added grip. While that did work, I still end up with the same fatigue of landing harder - even though I went without my tunes and was specifically listening for a soft landing. Guess I have to stick to the KSOs for man-made gravel trails and au-naturale for everything else.

The treksports will probably just replace my trusty hiking boots that weigh a gajilion pounds and they probably won't end up getting much more running mileage

6. Infamous Impact

Infamous Impact SS.org Regular

I had my first run in my Vibrams in months yesterday, and I sprained my ankle. The same one I screwed up months ago. And regionals is tomorrow.

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.

7. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

8. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Man that suck, how did you hurt your ankle?

I found trail running with the high padded shoes always tweaked my ankle, now being so close to the ground its does not happen often unless I slip off a rock.

Rest up and get back out there!!

9. Infamous Impact

I tripped on the sidewalk running back home. I'm so unlucky. Now my legs will atrophy into poles and my conditioning will have me dying on 1 mile runs. :lol:

:ugh:

:lol:

10. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

Today stung pretty bad. If I had looked at my watch and seen time/distance, I could have easily crushed an 18 minute 5k...with the first warm up mile at 8:12.

I took a week off from running and only squatted once, and went out for a fun run today and everything was effortless. Got back to my house at 2.53 miles and had I looked at my watch I could have easily kicked a half mile to get a PR with two fast splits...missed opportunity hurts.

102 miler on Friday...

11. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I have a pair of Komodo Sports that I think provides a pretty decent middle ground, regardless of their intended purpose. The sole isn't as hard as the Bikila, and it's got the extra strap around the heel for a more adjustable fit.

[​IMG]

12. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Exciting!!
    What is your strategy and eating plan look like including products?
    I seen a post where Anton K ate gummie bears and drank Coke for his last long race.

A couple guys use perpetum but that stuff tastes like ass, I can't imagine how it would be after 20 hours!

What kind of time are you hoping for and did you run some of the course?
    I seen the outline and elevation, you have a long day ahead of you...

13. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

I use Infinite Nutrition for my fluid, GU Roctane/Peanutbutter gels, and a lot of real food. Also going to use that Vespa stuff, I was really impressed by it.

Originally I wanted 24 hours, but after reading race reports from far better runners than me going towards 30 hours...Im hoping for 30. We'll see. I dont feel prepared, but Ive done as much as I could with the military and a new baby in the house. Strategy is mainly keep heart 140-150 going up regardless of speed, and going down my goal is to not eat it, especially at night.

I havent run any of it, but I wouldnt want to. Ive been on the AT before, its gonna be rough. Looking at this as less of a race and more of a literal journey now, I cant fathom being a goat on this course

14. Infamous Impact

What do you guys use to clean your shoes? I have severe hyperhidrosis, which makes my shoes an effective biological weapon. Baking soda doesn't cut it.

15. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Its going to be a mental one for sure.

Good luck on your run, stay strong and think of your new baby during the down times!!
    You got this!!

16. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

I only wear Vibrams--literally. I run. But I also do parkour, frequently involving higher impact landings from up to twelve foot heights. I use the KSOs and the Sprints, which have less padding than nearly all of the other Vibram models (the sole on the Bikila is, in actuality, thicker than that of the KSO or Sprint, not to mention Bikilas have extra padding). I have not had a single injury. In fact, I love the Vibrams simply for the fact that they force me to land well every single time. If I were to ever neglect to pay attention to my form I'd most likely wreck my ankles.

17. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Rivers and rain LOL!!

Other than hosing off the mud I don't think I have ever washed my shoes intentionally. I have seen in the hockey stores a soap made for getting the stink out of our gear, I have not used it but a couple guys I play with do and they love it.
    Call you local hockey shop.....then again do you even have hockey shops where you are?

18. Infamous Impact

I do, I'll check. Thanks!

19. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

Just to give an update from literally last year in December when I couldn't even run 500km, well after joining the military and running pretty much every second day, by April I completed 8km ! That's something I never thought I'd be able to do. I took a few months off since July but still was able to run two 5kms in the last two weeks.

Still hate running but least able to kinda do some now lol so anyone thinking they'll never get there, keep working and if I can do it, so can you. Consistency is the key!

20. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Noob! :lol:

Good job, man! :yesway: