Starting my first pickup builds

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by 7deadlysins666, Jan 26, 2012.

1. 7deadlysins666

7deadlysins666 kvlt

I'm just now setting up my workbench and winder, but I thought you guys would be interested in my journey into building pickups. Ultimately I am trying to go into production and sell them, however I've got a long way to go before I get to that point and am sure you guys would be interested in the process, and how i'm building my winder, etc. I have 3 prototypes I have designed...I am going to build those three first and get them perfected, get some clips posted and probably work on some more traditional models before I even think about going into production.

My three prototypes will be:
    Venom (Humbucker, Bridge)
    One blade coil
    One hex screw coil (black oxide hex screws, bigger than Super Distortion hex screws, but not stupid big like an Invader)
    Ceramic Magnet
    The blade coil will be wound slightly more than the hex coil, this will made the hex coil a little brighter and the blade coil a little darker.

Breathtaker (Tele Bridge)
    Wound to P90 specs (10,000 winds)
    Big neodymium bar magnet
    Zinc coated steel base plate
    Large slugs
    I originally wanted to make the actual slugs neodymium, which I may still try in the future, but there may be issues with pull on the strings by using neo slug magnets so I will first try with a nice neo bar magnet underneath the coil.

Paladin (Bass Pickup)
    Two blade coils
    One overwound, one underwound similar to the Venom
    Ceramic Magnet
    The bobbins will be encased in an EMG sized soapbar (test subject is an Ibanez SR505 with EMGs)

Update 3/05/12

Winder is ready, first few prototypes are in progress!

Here are the concept pics, so they are easier to find.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Cover is optional)

and progress at last!
    [​IMG]

I should be ready to take orders in a few months and I will post a price list on my website shortly before I open for orders. I plan to keep pricing as reasonable as possible for a small handwound builder, but I want to wait just in case something changes...this way once prices are posted, I hopefully will not have to change them. I am thinking about having dealers for overseas, so if you would be interested in becoming a dealer, shoot me a PM or email. avernuspickups(at)gmail(dot)com.

Clips will be posted as soon as prototypes are completed to my liking. :)

Also, my website and Facebook are now up
    www.avernuspickups.com
    www.facebook.com/avernuspickups

Superwoodle, Fiction, ElRay and 3 others like this.
  2. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

Extremely cool, man! The tele pup in particular sounds like a cool concept.

You could try degaussing the neodynium to various extents to help with the string pull issue - i always wanted to pull that trick on my ceramics as i'm a bit of a low-output hippie :)

Let me know if you go commercial - i'd love to be able to say my neck pup was engineered and manufactured by someone i actually had words with :).

3. 7deadlysins666

7deadlysins666 kvlt

Actually, degaussing isn't a bad idea but it could mess with the pickups polarity. I am sure that is something I will experiment with...especially with some of the lower output pickups and neodymium. My biggest goal is to go commercial. I just graduated from college for manufacturing and electronics, and i'm tired of getting laid off...so I figure fuck it, i'll start my own business doing something I truly enjoy. I can't lay myself off, well I guess I technically could but that would be pretty dumb. :lol:

I do have a facebook page up, Avernus Pickups | Facebook If this link isn't Ok i'll take it down...i'm not looking for sales, I am nowhere near ready to take orders.

4. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

When you develop a product, let me know. I'd love to help you out by becoming a customer. :)

5. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

Hehe. Looks like you're going to be coerced into going commercial long before you ever planned on it :)

6. 7deadlysins666

7deadlysins666 kvlt

[​IMG]

Workbench in progress! :metal: Not the prettiest....but it's a workbench! All of the wood is from pallets that were in my backyard when we moved in. I need some more plywood, and still need to grab some wood for the legs. The leg wood I was going to use wasn't very good, so it has saw horse legs for the time being.

7. demonx

demonx Searls Guitars

I'll be more excitied when theres sound sample to listen to!

8. Empryrean

Empryrean Undecided forever

Sir your ambition has shed some light on my dark future. Engineering you say? :wub:

9. Alimination

Alimination Space Adventurer

Ooo sounds exciting, I'll be keeping an eye out on this thread good sir.

10. stevemcqueen

stevemcqueen Namby Pamby

Perhaps in the not too near future you will have a good number of us buying pickups from you! Best of luck to you, I will be following this thread.

11. damigu

damigu stay tuned

looks like you're on your way. i'm curious to hear the tones your pickups are able to capture--in particular, i'm excited for a little darker sounding rail pickup.

just one suggestion: depending on how fast your winding speed is, the reed switch's moving part might not be able to keep up. if you find that to be true in your situation, an optical setup would be ideal at higher speeds.

12. Ironbird

Ironbird Kahler Abuser

It looks like you have a plan, all the best amigo!

13. Metal_Webb

Metal_Webb Needs more strings

Defo keen to hear how this comes out! I'm looking to put some new pups into a couple of my guitars, and I'd prefer to spend the money on a small business that's starting out (help the grass roots stores and all that) as long as the product is sound and unique. Definately a bit different to dropping a couple more Invaders into the axes lol.

14. 7deadlysins666

7deadlysins666 kvlt

I can't wait to get to that point too! Still got a little bit to go, still waiting on my reed switch and neodymium to get here.

The drill i'm using as the "heart" of my winder is a 14.4v battery operated drill. The main reason for using a batter operated drill is because the base is wide and flat which made it much easier to mount to my winding table. I'm using a 12v power supply for it that makes it run a bit slower than it normally would. I don't think i'm going to have any problems with the reed switch, but I did study automation and robotics in school and we did a lot with optic sensors. They're a bit out of my price range right now, but in the future i'm sure i'll have a more complex setup. :yesway:

Thanks for all the support everyone! :) It's pretty nice to see so much interested before i've even got my prototypes done.

Also, my former college teacher told me there is actually a government funded firm that gives help to start up businesses for free. It's called the Longwood Small Business Development Center, and I have now signed up for a couple of classes so it seems like this will soon become a legit LLC and I may actually be able to find financial backing through these classes as well.

15. 7deadlysins666

7deadlysins666 kvlt

Here is a small comparison for you guys. The first pickup is a GFS pickup I had rewound. It's got Neodymium magnets and I believe is 10kΩ The second pickup which comes in at the stop (21 seconds) is a Nordstrand NVT pickup which is CNC wound to vintage 50s Tele pickup specs and I believe it is also 10kΩ. The rewound pickup is in my G&L ASAT which has no tone knob, ash body, maple neck and fretboard. The Nordstrand is in my "swampcaster" (partscaster) Tele that has no tone knob, ash body, maple neck, and rosewood fretboard. So other than the fretboards they are nearly identical.

Both are running through a Poulin HiBrit, EQ is all at noon, and a TSE 808, no EQ, no compressor, no extra processing.

Neodymium VS Nordstrand by avernuspickups on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This is just an example of the clarity that Neodymium can give if used right. My "breathtaker" will be a bit darker, it will have 10,000 winds which is typical of a P90 soapbar rather than a telecaster pickup.

16. sutchguitars

sutchguitars Banned

Hope it goes well for you, im a luthier from England so om always interested in new suppliers offering new sounds!!! ill be watching!!

17. explosivo

explosivo SS.org Regular

I'll definitely be tuned in to this thread to check out your progress. The tele pickup especially sounds interesting.

Keep us posted on when you're ready to start taking orders!

18. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy

Those pickups sound very close, the norstrand having a touch more high end. Maybe some clean samples would allow us to hear character a bit better.

Your breath-taker, going to be an ASAT sized pickup? (as in the G&L soaps)

19. 7deadlysins666

7deadlysins666 kvlt

They do sound close, the Nordstrand has a touch more high end and overall sounds a bit more scooped. My G&L is an ASAT Classic and has standard tele pickups. The Breathtaker will be a standard Tele sized pickup, it will just have 10,000 winds like a P90 pickup.

Not shown in the clips but i'd also like to add the Neo pickup is much more harmonic rich. I often have trouble pulling off pinch harmonics on the Nordstrand but the Neodymium pickup is nearly effortless.

20. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy

Cool stuff, I am not too likely to replace the bridge soap on my ASAT either way, those are phenomenal pickups :lol:. Interesting about the harmonics on the neodium, I would have expected the opposite given how ceramic magnets I have found to be harder to play harmonics than alnicos, which I attributed to strength of the magnet.