Started at the gym today...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by tacotiklah, Mar 27, 2012.

1. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

So part of my transition plan is to get my tubby butt back to the gym. I just did cardio and a small amount of weight lifting on the lat bar. Nothing really extreme, but enough to where I feel good that I'm moving in the right direction.

I'm interested in toning way down, so any and all tips on how to do so would be awesome! :yesway:

oremus91, TRENCHLORD, Bigfan and 4 others like this.
  2. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

3. Trypios

Trypios SS.org Regular

4. Trypios

Trypios SS.org Regular

Are you more interested in losing weight or building muscle too?

5. tacotiklah

I'm TG, so obviously I'm interested in losing weight and gaining a girlish figure. As it stands, I'm the size of a goddamn linebacker and I hate it. My target weight is roughly half of what I weigh now; ie from ~340 down to about 170. :yesway:

6. Trypios

Trypios SS.org Regular

So diet & nutrition is much more important than the gym. However, you can avoid cardio exercises. It's more convenient to use anaerobic exercises which burn fat with less effort. Walking on a treadmill "burning fat" along with weight lifting would be more efficient than jogging or cycling fast.
    Whenever you feel like eating, unnecessarily you can consume green tea which is healthy, supposedly boost the metabolism and it's fat free.
    Avoid alcohol at all cost!! Drink plenty of water everyday. Try low fat dairy products and bananas (even though they have more fat than other fruit). And more breakfast/less dinner

7. tacotiklah

Awesome, thank you! :)

Any specific routine while at the gym that I should follow?

8. Greatoliver

Greatoliver Looking to windward

If you're trying to lose weight, as Trypios said, it's about diet. You want to be eating a calorie negative diet (i.e fewer calories in than you burn), and a good way to do this is to eat really healthily. Low GI carbs are great here, so stuff like brown bread, will keep you feeling fuller for longer. Vegetables are great, and cutting down on fatty stuff, so eating more white meat will help reduce the calories. But keep the calories negative, and you will lose weight.

As some general advice, have patience - losing weight quickly isn't healthy, and people bounce back. It is a lot better to lose it steadily but more slowly, which is usually from paying attention to your diet, rather than starving yourself - every little helps. Also, try not to compensate for workouts: it is easy to eat a load after exercising, but try not to eat more because you've been exercising. While it does burn calories, it doesn't burn a huge amount (your body is surprising efficient!) and if you eat a lot more, you may not end up being calorie negative any more.

As to work outs, as a TG you probably don't want to be getting into massive weight lifting, i.e. putting on lots of muscle. Try a lower weight, but more repetitions - this will cause less muscle growth, but will still burn calories. So it'll help burn fat, but not get you ripped (which I think is your aim).

One thing you could look into is HIIT, which is high intensity interval training. This supposedly helps burn fat even though the exercise is over a short time period, which is interesting. If that doesn't cut it for you, you could try cardio, as well as weights. To get into the stage of burning fat, you need to work through the sugar stores your body has first, so longer times are better (which is why HIIT is odd). Weights will help as they will raise your metabolism, which means a higher daily calorie level.

Hope that helped, take it all with a pinch of salt as I am not a professional! Others here may disagree, and if so, listen to them :lol:

EDIT: Oh and good luck! Stay strong and you will achieve your goal :)

9. Trypios

Trypios SS.org Regular

You might even consider trying an intense martial art.
    I was always a scrawny guy, 1.80m started at 62kg when I was 23 years old, now after 5 years I'm 81kg. I'm trying hard to gain weight. 2-3 years ago I started Kung-Fu lessons (wushu to be specific). Believe it or not, it was so intense that even if I ate everything that was in front of me, I lost 3kg in 2 weeks. But I have to say, it's very very painful. Muay Thai, kick boxing would also be great for fast results

10. tacotiklah

Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah lately I've been eating fast food burgers and shit, and today I've switched to subway, and cut my portions WAY down. At the gym I did more reps of less weight working on both my arms, legs, shoulders and gluts, a decent amount of crunches, 20 minute bike ride (roughly 6 miles), and a 30 minute walk/jog/walk/jog on the treadmill. I like that work out since it covers all my bases and I get this weird feeling of euphoria after I finish the whole workout. Feels damn good actually....

11. Winspear

Winspear EtherealEntity Vendor

^ Sounds good! As long as you are in a caloric defecit I really don't think you can go wrong until the final stages of weight loss - those final pounds can be very hard.
    At the moment I'd say just get used to everything and enjoy yourself, whilst watching your calories :)
    A workout like that sounds great and is definitely what I'd suggest for serious weight loss though!

Explorer likes this.
  12. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

:lol: I've never seen a 340 linebacker, that'd be scary as shit. :lol: But good for you!! I always like to hear of people getting into the gym. :)

13. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    This FTW. Burn more than you consume.

14. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Also, lay off the Bacardi lol.

15. tacotiklah

Believe me Trench, it will be a LONG time before I'm suckin' down any more 151 shots. :lol:

16. avenger

avenger SS.org Regular

I lost about 40 pounds this last year and I can say the biggest thing is eating clean. Cut out the pop,junk food, general shit food and eat clean healthy foods and lots of veggies (carrot celery, cucumber, peppers) to satisfy those munchies and it becomes hard to actually consume a large number of calories i found.

I can stuff my face full of healthy food and not feel like a pig XD

17. Infamous Impact

Infamous Impact SS.org Regular

Also, don't slack if you lose a ton of weight (on the scale) in the first 2 months, it's mostly water weight that's gone due to being healthier.

18. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth SIGN YO REP

I think the key thing is even if you're TG, don't be afraid of weight training. It's fantastic and tried-and-true for getting fitter and losing fat.

19. texshred777

texshred777 SS.org Regular

Congrats on making the decision to make a change! That's awesome.

Agreed with the nutrition aspect being more important than anything when trying to lean out. Cardio isn't necessary despite what many may say, you can lose a pound or two of fat a week just by eating at a caloric deficit and lifting weights to maintain your muscle mass

Getting into a cardio intensive program will certainly help you lose weight, but not necessarily fat. I tend to think of cardio as a more 'convenience' thing-ie, you can eat a little more and stay in a good deficit by adding cardio. It goes without saying that I'm specifically talking about losing fat, not cardiovascular health. Cardio is good for your overall heart health, just don't fall into the hamster wheel routine so many do-and go no where.

What does your nutrition look like? I'd recommend keeping a log of everything you put in your mouth(including drinks). It helps to really see what you're eating/drinking so it's easier to make adjustments if need be. Eat clean. Eat clean. Eat clean.

I'd also recommend not getting too invested in things like supplements-a large part of that is hype. I used the classic C/A/E (caffeine, aspirin, ephedrin) stack back in the day, but unless I'm really trying to get shredded and see veins on my abs it's not necessary.

Despite bro science(muscle magazine science)-the timing of your meals does not play a huge role in fat loss. Eating 5-6 smaller meals a day does not have a metabolic effect(ie, keeping your metabolism elevated through constant digestion)-it just makes it easier to avoid overeating by not having fasted periods. Same thing with working out before breakfast. The logic is that cardio in a fasted state would burn more calories from fat instead of glycogen, but you burn calories 24 hours a day, the daily total of calories in/out is what really matters. Point being, if 5-6 smaller meals a day works better for you, great. If not, don't worry about it.

20. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth SIGN YO REP

^yeah, I eat 3 big, clean meals a day and it does me fine. Don't worry about timing.
    Holy shit, veins on your abs? :lol::hbang: