Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Lets talk about props and the future!

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Given To Fly, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

I am aware more props were used in The Force Awakens than usual but that is the extant of my knowledge. Since Disney owns Star Wars I feel like the idea of creating a "Star Wars World" at one of their theme parks beyond the scope of Star Tours at Disneyland. ( Still a great ride though. :cool: )

I'll get to the point. Instead of building scale models of the Millennium Falcon, X Wings, Tie Fighters, AT-AT Walkers, and others, why not build real versions of these ships that are functional on a basic level? (They won't fly. Star Wars is not real, its pretend.) The idea would be to use them as part of a "Star Wars World" that Disney would create after the final movie has been released.

Disney is a wealthy company. Bits and pieces of all these ships have been built on some level already. Why not go all the way? On reason is money. Disney has money. Another reason could be no one is interested? :lol: Safety could be a legitimate concern but Disney has some experience with making rides safe.

Is this a reasonable proposition? No. Was Stars Wars a reasonable proposition back in 1977? :coffee:

On separate note, when the Force Awakens was released in theaters there seemed to be some inconstancies in some peoples viewing experience. The main problem was the sound. The score was really low in the mix, Foley FX seemed to be forgotten, and just generally weird stuff. I downloaded the HD version from iTunes and all those problems are gone. The score is much louder, just like the original 3 movies, which make themes easier to associate with their intended characters. I'm sure the BluRay version is even better.

2. MickD7

MickD7 SS.org Regular

Third viewing today. Twice in cinemas and third on bluray. If you want a great experience get it on bluray and dive into it. The special features are incredible. :hbang:

PS my point may be biased slightly because of my hardcore love for these films and did you see the Rogue One Trailer?

3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

they did build a life size version of the millennium falcon. So theres hope they keep it for an attraction

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yeah, they show a bunch of that in the special features on the bluray. It's life-size and has both all the interiors and the exterior and was used for a lot of the scenes in the movie.

5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Not really. I watched it Saturday night with my mom as she hadn't seen it, and we were consistently needing to turn the volume up for some parts. The dialogue is super low and gravely compared to the rest of the audio.

6. wankerness

What sort of audio system were you running it through? That tends to happen if you are listening to a surround mix through TV speakers, you have to choose the stereo audio track for the dialogue to sound right since otherwise your TV is cramming all the surround channels, the dialogue (center) channel, and the front L/R channels into the same crummy L/R speakers with no regard for turning down certain channels and turning up the center. I listened to it in 5.1 and it sounded just fine, absolutely no volume balance issues, and the sound effects/music didn't overpower the dialogue at any point. I think it's about the best audio mix I've heard on a modern blockbuster as far as clarity goes.

7. MFB

MFB ExBendable

We have it going through a main soundbar and one subwoofer. I'll have to look into the options next time to see what the default is set to.

8. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yup like wankerness mention, this seems to be an issue with you running a surround signal path into an stereo speakers.

in a 5.1 mix, 80-100% of the vocal tracks are mixed on the centre speaker, in your case you dont have any center speaker, you only have the L-R, actually you are lucky you even get to listen some vocals lol, prob you are hearing is the reverb of them

check the connections on the back of the player, be sure you are plugged on the L-R outs and set your Blu-ray player(or the movie in the menu) to a Stereo only audio, and enjoy your movie

I dont even know why some people set a 5.1 system in teir houses, when the vast mayority of them like 90% dont even set it up correctly not even put the speaker on the right places, and most of them dont rent-buy movies anymore. This is not at you haha, but I always laugh when I go to a friends house and see their "5.1" system all cramp up in the front, or in weird places and they only watch regular TV or movies from the internet/laptops

9. wankerness

Yeah, a soundbar is more than enough for most people, especially since Netflix is the primary thing most undiscerning people watch and its surround is so compressed as to be useless. There's nothing wrong with them, you just need to make sure you're not trying to send a surround signal to them. A lot of blu-ray discs don't even have stereo audio options on them so you have to force it with the player.

I have a 5.1 system and not really enough space for it, but I DO have it pointing the right ways :D It makes a MASSIVE difference on most movies made in the last 20 years. I watch a ton of old movies that were filmed in mono or stereo and it's not that much of a difference there (besides clarity and volume), but with something like Mad Max Fury Road, I absolutely can't live with TV sound. :p

10. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

More cool Star Wars stuff might attract me to Disneyland if it were good enough... I have mixed feelings because I detest Disney but I've loved star wars since I was in diapers. a completely separate Star Wars theme park would be best for me. Stormtroopers and droids walking around instead cartoon mice and endless princess paraphernalia sounds like a win