Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by StevenC, Jan 24, 2017.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

You realize that the TFA trailer on the left is not how it was, and the maker of that video reedited it to try and get it to match, right?

Right?

No?

:wallbash:

There are definitely some similar shots, which I'd certainly expect in a trailer to a movie FOR A DIRECT SEQUEL. The horror!

2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I hadn't gotten a chance to watch this video yet, but I've heard everyone saying the same thing.

Mob mentality is a funny thing it seems

3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

my bad. The TFA teaser trailer was so long ago that I didnt fully remembered. So I guess I got caught in the trap.

I know the shots are similar I know Im expecting that. TBH I wasnt upset if this trailers thing was real, for me was more like a fun factor. I though it might have been fully on purpose like an easter egg thing, and I though that was pretty clever idea. I was just making a fun comment about the trailers being done the same :wavey:

4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

*I said beep beep Ima sheep*

5. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Accuracy of the trailer comparison aside, I'll just never understand societies increasing need to care so vehemently about such utterly pointless .....

All I know is there's an epic space battle so I'm in. Also, Luke was never really been a true Jedi. He had the thing in the cave, he forced choked people, and went into rage bezerk mode. I think the movie poster is showing Rey as the last Jedi and then Kylo and Luke are something else, whether that's Sith or neither side I'm not sure.

6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

although I agree wiht you on the Luke didnt quite "finish" his training or whatever. Thats something that it jsut cant be. Too many fans out there to them go into "Luke is not a Jedi" story. Heck the VI movie is "return of the Jedi", even if it was meant for Anakin, people still have in their hearts the Luke IS a Jedi.

Plus we already discover that this new movie title is in plural

and for your other point, Im in into this movie even without seeing anything. For a moment I actually loved the idea of the two trailers being the same, I just found it funny.

And for what its worth I would try to do what I have recently done with many movies. Ignore Every Trailer!!!!. I manage to do so with other movies, even till the point to pull out my phone during the trailers at the cinema and almost the cover my ears and go "alalalalalalal" but believe me it makes the movie experience SOOOOOOOOOOO much better. Recent trailers show far too much. I took the stupidity to watch the latest for the new spiderman and I was like "oh, there goes the ENTIRE plot of the movie.....great", now I just would watch it by filling the gaps in between the trailer shots.

7. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I did the same thing with the last Star Wars: I watched the first full trailer, and nothing else.

Let me tell you - it gets really difficult later on, because they promote it EVERYWHERE. On TV, it seemed like every other commercial was for Star Wars, and you'll see ads for it in the streets and on billboards, etc... I'd consider this a full trailer since it did enough teasing and world building for me to say OK, no more.

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Just a general comment about movie trailers. IMO, they are supposed to get people to go see the movie, but too many trailers these days tell you the whole plot of the movie, so, instead of intriguing you, they just spoil the movie.

Maybe just show me something that lets me know the tone of the film.

9. wankerness

Trailers these days show far less in the spoiler department than they used to, probably cause the internet generation has popularized the very idea of the spoiler and raging about it. Go watch practically any trailer for an action/sci-fi movie from the 80s or earlier, and it will include nearly every single stunt/effects shot in the movie, even if it involves a main character dying at the end of the movie or whatever, just cause movies used to have so few effects in them that you needed to include all of them to fill up a trailer :lol:

Some of them had brilliant marketing departments that did the reverse (Alien/Aliens has particularly great trailers that show almost nothing in the way of the monsters and build tension the whole time), but so many do what I said above. Ex, even frickin Jurassic Park has the T-Rex save at the end right there in the trailer.

10. Dayviewer

Dayviewer Mr. Djelecaster

bumpity:
    [​IMG]

11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

This looks so much better than the last one.

steinmetzify and KnightBrolaire like this.
  12. wankerness

Yeah, looks good, I love episode VII also though, which while a normal opinion with normal people seems to put me in a tiny minority on message boards. The worst part of this trailer is every commentariat trying to be first to copy/paste the hottake of EPISODE VII IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE FIRST MOVIE AND THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS ESB!!11 ALSO IT LOOKS HORRIBLE JUST LIKE VII !11

13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

loved the Force Awakens and cannot wait to see the next instalment in this new story.

This trailer is glorious and does make it look even better than the last movie!. bring it on.

December cannot come soon enough haha.

14. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

The Force Awakens played it very safe so I'm really looking forward to where they go with this film. I loved Rogue One so this will have a lot to live up to.

15. MickD7

MickD7 SS.org Regular

Grabbed a midnight premier ticket. So keen

16. MFB

MFB ExBendable

New AT-ATs were really all I needed to see, the rest was just icing

It was also much easier to get tickets this time around for midnight showings, so that was nice

lewis and MickD7 like this.
  17. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Kylo is really confused about his place to be, and he's remorsing everything he has done in he past, eventually Kylo will turn into light side, and team up with Rey and Luke to defeat Snoke at some point. Or Luke will not accept this alliance and he will turn against Rey and Kylo, because he's too afraid to do it. This leads to difficult situation where they both have to deafeat Luke. Also Leia has to die, sadly because it's almost the only option at this point. It will be intresting how it's gonna happen.

Rey is born from the midichlorians just like Anakin was, so Snoke wants her to turn into dark side and become the most powerful force user there ever was. Whole dark vs. light thing becomes more grey area in this film.

Or I could be completely wrong because "This will not go... the way you think". I just expect this one to be the darkest and best one of these new Star Wars movies. But not too predictable as trailers are trying to convince. Hopefully trailers are misleading everyone, and story will have a huge twist in it.

18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Yeah i understand this theory but Im really not sure Im liking the idea of Kylo being confused and eventually turning good.
    Having said that it would be just like Hollywood to do the twist of Kylo going good and Rey going bad.

Also, if this does happen, how can in Star Wars Lore, you murder your father but still end up being good?
    Hans death will be completely pointless if Kylo ends up as a good guy. Plus the trailer makes it look Kylo is going to kill Leia now too. Although not sure they will do that given Carrie has not long been dead in real life. Probably insensitive.

I dont really know how I want it to unfold but the 1 thing that did piss me off was how over powered and forced (excuse the pun) that Rey was. Kylo getting beaten so easily was actually retarded.

19. TheDivineWing22

TheDivineWing22 You've got the touch

Kylo was fighting after being shot with Chewbacca’s bowcaster (which the movie made a point to show as being a very powerful weapon.)

Being able to fight at all was impressive.

20. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

But you can still turn into dark side convinced by a sith politician, kill some younglings and after that become one of the dark lords of the galaxy, and still end up being somewhat "good". :shrug:

Kylo noticed that killing his father weakened his powers, and did him nothing good. Trailer is not so obvious either in that part which shows him shooting something. Han's story was ending, and killing him will become major part of Kylo's story which will continue hopefully after this movie. But anything could happen, because it's Star Wars :D

So because he was shot by Chewbacca's Bowcaster, weakened by act of killing his father and overall conditions combined he just couldn't fight properly. Anger lead him to suffering this time.