Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by StevenC, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

That might be the rationale for why they did it. But, if so, it's a dumbass reason. This is STAR WARS for Pete's sake. We kind of expect that there's going to be new weird stuff we have to figure out. There hasn't been a precedent for explaining every odd thing to the point we need to figure it out immediately. It's not like Rey had to to whisper to Kylo, "The Praetorian Guards have a special face shield that looks opaque, but they can see out of," to let us know they aren't running around blindly. We just see it and figure, "Well, there's something cool. Maybe I'll google it after the film." If they had this vision of white on top of red, and they wanted us to know that the top layer was salt, then there are a bunch of ways to work that into a conversation that is not licking the ground of a planet you've never been on. I mean, I wouldn't scoop up something on the ground here and taste it, and I know already it's not acid or poison or something. But on another planet? That just seems like a really bad idea. Plus, I was less curious about the salt, and more the stuff under it, since it looked like blood. If they wanted to get out of the way what was the weird contrast of materials, that would have been my question.
    Anyway, if your hypothesis is correct - and all signs point to it being so - then it's just a clunky way of getting that out in the open for us.

StevenC likes this.
  2. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

In general, box office records mean nothing these days. Thanks to inflation and more and more emphasis on massive, massive openings, the increased rollout in China (meaning the more generic the blockbuster, the more likely it will gain hundreds of millions there) and fewer and fewer movies released every year, basically every year at least one movie's going to get on the top 10. Titanic and to a lesser degree Avatar were the last really impressive movies in terms of crazy audience response IMO (with how long they held on since people were going back again and again for weeks). It's just a studio machine to manufacture box office phenomenons now. Star Wars has no real competition for weeks so I have no doubt it's going to keep making scads of money for a while.

4. wankerness

So...ONE LINE of explanation on ONE THING in the movie = explaining every little thing in the movie? He says it to another person when they both look at the ground and seem to question what it is! He tastes it and tells the other guy! Yes, it's there to tell the audience. Yes, the other movies also say things like "THE FOREST MOON OF ENDOR" instead of simply "ENDOR" to make sure that we know it's a forest.

I just don't get this complaint. It's so specific! There's stuff like this in all of the movies (especially the prequels, but being less stupid than them is no achievement). Like, I dunno...Luke saying "i'm glad you had these compartments" after they get out of the compartments? Boy, they sure talked down to the audience there! As if we couldn't have figured out they were compartments!!! They were a hole in the floor, and had a lid on them!!! *insert several more sentences about how bad the movie is*

Hollowway and AxeHappy like this.
  5. wankerness

This needed a citation to Redlettermedia

6. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

You think I’m going to credit these hack frauds?

[​IMG]

Electric Wizard likes this.
  7. marcwormjim

I rewatched RoTJ and TFA before seeing the latest. Everyone complaining about the make-it-up-as-you-go physics of Luke’s force projection is forgetting that Obi Wan’s ghost walked out of a swamp and immediately needed to sit on a log - Which he did, without falling through it. Same for all the stuff you mentioned.

It’s just that Star Wars fans have always been dumber than the films, and the films keep getting dumber; so those of us older fans who haven’t died yet are crying foul over having our intelligence insulted, even though we’re the ones shambling into a theater knowing we’ll be surrounded by the film’s intended audience of four year-old children.

8. NotDonVito

NotDonVito will never get his bass

9. NotDonVito

NotDonVito will never get his bass

link broke lol
    [​IMG]

10. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I mean, it's not simply Endor. It's one of Endor's moons. Specifically the one with the forests. To me at least, that's different than having a scene involving three new throwaway characters eating stuff off the ground of an unfamiliar planet and talking about salt. To me, the key point of this scene is "see it's not Hoth, this is salt not snow", when we all would have been content if they'd just shown some clips of those ships kicking up dust. They also did that, and Star Wars always has a lot of background information available, so this scene was clunky and pointless. Adding more to the run time than the plot.

11. marcwormjim

What plot? I ask because I got lost in the Cineplex and only walked into the theater in time to see Mark Hamill looking like he died taking a mean shit, and it seemed like the only scene of consequence. But then no one in that other solar system wondered where the Jedi guy went, so maybe it wasn’t.

12. fps

fps Kit

It's also that they're children's films, and these new children's films (intellectually, conceptually etc) are being judged by adults who are blinkered, as you say, to the flaws of the originals due to the time of life when they first saw them.

I think the issue is the fans have always been more intelligent than the films, not less - unless they were children when they first saw them.

AxeHappy and Hollowway like this.
  13. fps

fps Kit

Seriously, when has anything ever been complicated to figure out in a Star Wars film?

AxeHappy likes this.
  14. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, but keep in mind I'm on an internet forum talking about my thoughts on the movie. Overall, I did like it, and I liked it WAY better than TFA, or episodes 1-3. But, yeah, that line stuck out at me as super clunky. Like in non-star-wars films when it's obvious that the put in dialogue between characters in order to explain stuff to the audience. It just bugs me, because it takes me out of the moment. And because this is a huge budget film, I didn't expect that sort of clunkiness, so I thought this was going to be some sort of significance, and spent the rest of the movie waiting for something relevant to the salt to occurred. And, after all that, apparently the only thing truly salty is me. :lol:

15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder

Rewatched it and like I said upon viewing it the 1st time, pretty much all of the rose/finn scenes suck and could have been completely cut from the film. I still enjoyed it, but god the movie would have been a lot leaner if they chopped all those scenes.

protest and StevenC like this.
  16. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

That's a massive cop out. Some of the best films ever have been children's films. To say that because it's not marketed solely to over 21s it shouldn't be considered critically is ridiculous.

Next are you going to tell me Wall E and Cars 2 are of the same calibre?

17. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I feel that without flying leia scene , a whole lot less Poe and every single thing Finn and rose do it would’ve been allot better film.

thesnowdog and StevenC like this.
  18. marcwormjim

The intended audience is a consideration; not the answer.

19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Super late to respond, but keep in mind that the detonator also falls the same direction as the bombs when the character kicks the ladder. was there a motor pushing that downward as well?

I get the whole "lighten up dudes, it's a fricken Star Wars movie" response, but ultimately, if you test people's suspension of disbelief, even in a universe where we've come to accept a lot of magical nonsense, you have to make it work to the end of the storytelling going on or else you lose your audience.

I still really enjoyed TLJ, but I'm not willing to forget about all of the little problems, since they all add up.

Upon further reflection, I think that the fatal flaw in TLJ was not forsaking the character development from previous films, but the boredom during the middle of the film. If the film started out the same and ended the same way, but had thought of something more exciting or else even just more dramatic for the second act, then it'd be fine to shrug off all of the weird plot holes and characters behaving so oddly. Ultimately, though, I think this film suffers from the typical Hollywood sequel problem of being too rushed and budgeting a bunch of resources before a screenplay or even a basic plot is written. And, the biggest flaw for me now with the series is that there is really no burning reason to bother seeing the next film.

synrgy, StevenC and ElysianGuitars like this.
  20. wankerness

Literally every ship in the entire Star Wars universe has had interior gravity.

(I think, maybe there's a counterexample in the prequels somewhere)

I'm with the non-zealots here that the movie has flaws. I'd give it about a 7/10 and I think all those top 10 of the year lists that include it are f'in CRAZY. I wouldn't even put it above a couple of the big CGI blockbusters I saw this year, though I do give it credit for being a bit more ambitious thematically/visually.

KnightBrolaire likes this.