Star Wars Episode VII thread (cast announced)

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

let's get this straight... a series about space monks with laser swords who use magical powers to fight a evil nazi empire in space with the help of strange looking aliens and talking robots is not a popcorn movie?

this is my gripe with Star Wars fandom. these stories aren't deep, hence their success at the box office - but the super fans have ascribed so much undeserving clout to these films that anything that comes out will be poorly executed in their eyes... because it will not be the LOTR in space nerd adventure they are looking for. <-- this last statement is why the now-defunct EU is stupid IMO.

take the films for what they are: well executed, deeply emotional, stupid adventure stories. you'll find yourself enjoying them even more

2. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I wish I had that option, just regular salted/butter-ish popcorn. Being the movie "going to the cinema" fanatic I am, Im actually tired of them and cant even finish a small box now. But give me a butter popcorn microwave ones, and Im all over it. And since I found a brand that sells the salty/sweet flavor ones in bags oooohhh thats heaven

3. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Exactly folks.

Michael Akerfeldt said it best about fans thinking they "own a piece of you".

I think this drove George Lucas crazy.
    You can never make a bunch of nerdy over thinking fans happy no matter how hard you try.

4. Ibanezsam4

its true. granted i think he made plenty of missteps managing the prequels and deserves a lot of criticism for how he made the films... but i also feel he partially redeemed himself in the last 30 minutes of RoS

5. asher

asher So Did We

6. Ibanezsam4

7. asher

asher So Did We

Yeah, he is. Some of the other shots in the movie are really good, too, but that one just was A) way too long B) very jarring. Star Wars doesn't ever do that kind of shot.

8. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

it was sooooooooooo long, so unnecessary stupid awkward long

I get the "extend the shot" as much as you can for movie reasons, but they just took it way too far. Plus the "I gonna walk aaaaaaalll the way up, but for some reason Im gonna stop here at this not "long", not "too short" awkward distance of him. And just right here Im gonna pull out the saber and hold it like Im gonna give it to him, but I cant because Im bit far too long to do so.... but Im still gonna extend my arm as much as I can to see if I reach, even that Im way too far to do so. So maybe we would keep holding my arm fully extended to see if maybe that helps...even when I know it wont"

if she was just naturaly holding the lightsaber i her hand, and maybe, maybe a little gesture of "reaching out/giving it back to him". But no, they needed to fully extend her arm and hold it there at a big distance between them

9. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

IMO the point was him looking at her, as if to say why have you come, and her holding out the lightsaber to say this is why. That way there is no need for dialogue. I quite liked it.

10. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I guess you don't go to many effects movies, then? It seems like practically everything expensive is over two hours these days. It's a half hour shorter than the last Tarantino movie, or The Revenant, or even the last frickin Transformers movie. I think practically all of those Marvel movies are 2 hours or more, with the Thor movies and Ant-Man maybe being slightly less.

11. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

12. USMarine75

13. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

lol I do, I actually went to the cinema to watch out those :p Im bit of an adict when it comes to go to the cinema.

my point wasnt at the lenght of the movie. I love long movies, and this one felt right.

my point was a the lenght of the final shot. Its so much you can show footage of two character meeting each others without talking before it gets too awkward. Like someone would had talk by any point during that scene, you cant show that much silence. Plus in this kinds of scenes, it makes more of an impact if the shot was short, like you cut the movie just before someone was gonna say something. Plus I felt it was stupid her with her arm fully stretch with the lightsaber, like he is way way too far from you, whats the point? you arent giving it to him, so why not hold it in front of you or just reach out a little like a normal person do. And in top of that you add a full on long helicopter shot with her holding her arm straight out,

14. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I fully disagree. I think the long shot was beautifully done, and necessary. It emphasized Luke's isolation, and showcased both her symbolic journey and the incredible location they got to film at.

If you were making a film and were one of the only people that would ever be allowed to shoot there, wouldn't you want to whip out some fancy shots of the place? I sure as hell would've. If anything, I'm surprised they didn't do a seriously long/slow zoom in or zoom out shot.

15. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I loved that shot. There's a ton of emotion to process in that scene, as a lifelong fan, seeing our hero for the first time in 30-ish years, knowing some of the tragedy he's experienced during the interim - let alone that which we saw him endure in the original trilogy, or that which had happened a few scenes earlier, which he may or may not have sensed through The Force..

There's so much going on in his look. "I know why you're here. I know what's happened. It's all my fault. I'm all but taken-over by guilt, shame, and regret. You want me to help you, and save the Galaxy, and though I'm probably the only one in the Galaxy who can save it, I don't believe I can do it without destroying everything. Wait, where did you find that?

Oh, my.. You have your mother's eyes.."

What's killing me is the anticipation with which I'm left.

16. asher

asher So Did We

I loved everything about that ending until the gorram helicopter pano.

SO jarring compared to the style of the rest of the film, and that cut lasted far too long, to boot. Felt very awkward. It would have been a bit abrupt to circle wipe while just looking at Luke's face, and a long distance shot was the way to go I think (especially with that setting, damn!), but not.a.helicopter.JJ!

17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

i dont have a problem with the helicopter. my problem was that by the point they used the heli shot, the scene was already far too long, add in top of that a long heli shot, and now you have two characters standing there doing nothing with her holding the saber with her arm fully strech, while the two of the hold steady,

the first time I watch the film I though it was awkward long, by the second time I watched I felt way way more awkward. Like she gets there, show luke turning around, cut back to her and hold the shot, cut back to him, and hold the shot, cut to her getting the saber, cut to him, cut to her reaching out, cut to him for a long time, cut to her, him, heli shoooooooooooooooooot, aaaaaaand finish. They tried to extend the moment, but without sound/dialog, or action, or movement, its just feel awkward.

Also, that heli shot was actually very very poorly done for a hollywood and big name director, big budget, Star WArs film. the shot/pan, was really jerky. Yes, its hard to "dolly" or in this case "heli" around a subject with an 200-500mm lens (or maybe more), but it can be done and it has been done. Go and watch The Art of Flying, the redbull snowboard movie, its full of this kinds of shots and non of them look jerky and jumpy like if they had a bad tripod head.

18. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Oh, yeah, fair enough, I thought you were talking about the movie as a whole. The last shot was sort of silly.

19. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I think I would have liked the ending better had it just ended with R2D2 booting up then going straight to credits. All the cameos felt forced to me and none of them did a great job at their parts.

20. USMarine75

Couldn't possibly disagree more, but hey, that's what is great about movies/music/art...

I paid no attention to the leaks and trailers ahead of time. Seeing the original actors was a surprise, and brought me back to being a kid with my Dad in the theater watching Empire. It was the same when Leonard Nimoy appeared in the new Star Trek movie, or when the original Bones appeared in the first episode of ST:TNG. [On a side note, people whining about Harrison Ford having trouble running around or Carrie Fisher sounding like a granny can literally go F themselves.]

I also loved all the awesome hidden cameos, not just the obvious reprisals of stars: Simon Pegg, Daniel Craig, Bill Hader, Judah Friedlander, Carrie Fisher's daughter, Warwick Davis, that guy from Heroes, that guy from Lost, all of the GOT actors including Brienne of Tarth, Max Von Sydow, etc! Every time I spotted one (or read about it and then spotted them the 2nd time I saw the movie) it made the movie feel "bigger"... as if it was more of a cultural phenomenon, than just a mere movie.

The same applies for me with the parallel plots. I loved that they re-used a lot of the elements of the original episodes, only bigger. It reminded me of the Battlestar Galactica theme that "all this has happened before, and all this will happen again".

Sure, there were plot holes and crutches, but all movies have them. For some reason this genre and this particular franchise seem to have the most unforgiving and inveterate fans. [For those of you familiar with Thumb Wars, my wife and kids and I will often race to be the first to call out "I escaped somehow" when we spot one in a movie lol]

My 6 year old and I have seen it twice already in the theater, and I hope Star Wars/Lucas/JJ/et al have given him the same kind of lifelong happy childhood memory, that the original movies did, for me with my dad. :yesway: