Star Wars Episode VII thread (cast announced)

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

^I think so. If you still haven't seen it yet you shouldn't be reading a thread about it.

2. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I totally forgot to put that I was talking about Episode VIII in that post at first lol.

3. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

I'm quoting myself because I know the word that refers to the specific audio I thought was missing: Foley. As I understand it, the Foley mix consists of normal everyday sounds that are not captured while filming. Footsteps are a good example. I'm not sure how you create the sound of trees being snapped in half or metal sliding/scraping across the ground but it would be done by foley artists. The sound made by lightsabers, Tie Fighters, and laser guns would be done by special effects because those are not real things.

So, the sounds that make a film seem "real" were not very present when I saw the movie. Volume, or levels, were another issue, especially with the spaceships. In real life, a plane gets louder as it passes you because the jet engine is pointed directly at your head. Film makers know this and it would be down right weird not to create this perspective for the audience. I'm not sure how the audio in Episode VII was mixed (Dolby Atmos seems to be the standard now) but it seems some theaters are setup well for it and others are not.

4. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Foley artists are such a weird/specific job to be good at, but god damn if they don't help sell the movie.

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

....ing loved it. Fiances a nerd. She loved it too. Such a good movie. It had the whole threshold in a cantina scene, plenty of throwbacks, but felt fun and worth the cash.

6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

lol you would be amazed on how different are the sounds you see on screen against on how it was really made, even a simple stuff like a tree snap in half can be done with lets say a piece of celery. I saw a doco not long ago about the story on the original films, and the laser beans on the guns were done by hitting a metal cable. Like a big long cable that holds an antena. Lightsabers were a Hum recorded from a doggy equipment thing (Idnt remember what), ect.

Every sound is real, nothing is "made" if that makes sense

EDIT: I havent see those docos posted ^^^, maybe they show there

I worked once doing audio post for a soap opera, like re-constructing the whole soundtrack of sounds but using a massive sound library. Its amazing on how many things are added, and I was doing "quick simple jobs", cant imagine how massive its for a movie. But thats the bummer of that job, You know you did a good job when no one talks of mention about it. ITs when you did wrong that everyone notice it

I didnt notice anything wrong with it. But again I was sitting in the worse seat ever at the cinema, plus prob I was focusing more on the "Its a Start War movie!! yay" and prob more into the cinematography and color grading, VFX, photography of it, as thats my current job. But I would try to pay mroe attention to it next time I see it

7. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

The second Youtube video is probably the most informative about sound design. You are right that all the sounds are "real" but some are also "put together." Its amazing what grapefruit can sound like within the context of a movie. :eek:

Sound effects aside, watching those Youtube videos makes me appreciate live theater a little bit more. :coffee:

8. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Them being old didn't bother me at all, but there definitely was something funky with Carrie Fisher trying to speak that was painful t watch. She's only 59, she's not 85, but she sounded like it. Got me wondering if right before each take she got botox injections that tightened up her face too much to move her mouth. Thought I was alone in noticing that lol.

Rev.

9. ah_graylensman

ah_graylensman SS.org Regular

That we know of.

I would not be surprised if we find out in Ep. VIII that Rey was partially trained as a child and then had that training put behind a mental block (which Kylo Whine unintentionally destroyed) when she was abandoned on Jakku.

10. fps

fps Kit

I thought there was way too much Leia in this movie given they didn't have a clue how to use her.

11. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Loved IV V and VI (V being the best of course), didn't enjoy I or II, felt like III was a 30 minute section stretched out to an obnoxious degree. I managed to avoid all spoilers for VII, only watched the teaser trailer.

Loved VII. Went Tuesday, probably will go again on Saturday.

I'm left with the obvious questions about the origins of Rey, Finn and Snoke, with wondering why Phasma was so underutilized despite being such a primary marketing focus and having a badass standout name & unique armor. My theory is that
    she's part of the Resistance, and is the one feeding info to Leia.

Regarding Rey, I hope she's not Luke's child. It seems too easy. I'd rather her be related to Palpatine or Obi-Wan. My theory is that if they were to set her up to be part of Palpatine's bloodline, the whole Kylo vs Rey thing would be Vader and the Emperor's grandkids on alternate sides of the Force. I feel like it would have more impact than them going 'oh ps, here's Mara Jade, Luke had a kid and surprise! She's mega-powerful'. That being said, both Luke and Leia clearly recognized her, and Leia even hugged her, when the only other people she showed that level of affection for/closeness with were Han and Chewie. Another quick thought, Max von Sydow's character seemed Jedi-like. He had the same vibe as 'Old Ben Kenobi' in IV, I'm assuming it'd be an easy setup that he was on Jakku watching over Rey.

No theory on Finn's origin. I mean I've seen people saying 'OMG WHAT IF HE'S MACE WINDU'S KID' or 'he's totally related to Lando'. Fully disagree and find those ideas laughable.

As for Snoke, I'm guessing he's a sort of 'evil Yoda', existing undetected for many years sheltered by some Light side of the Force artifact/location, mirroring Yoda's Dark side tree. Additionally, I hope the character is a tiny little Yoda-sized thing, which would be especially fun as he already looks vaguely Gollum-like, and obviously Andy Serkis being the actor behind the character, it'd be fitting.

I've seen a lot of people talking about Han. Not the best acting Harrison has ever done, but still a fairly huge scene. I strongly disagree with everything I'm seeing where people are saying 'maybe Han didn't die!'. Get your head out of your ass, lightsaber through the upper chest. He's not a Jedi, he's an old-ass man. He dead. Move on.

Anyway, this was the Star Wars I wanted to see back when I went opening night to Episodes I, II, and III. I'm glad it exists, and I'm very excited for the next two.

12. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

it seems Disney is going to take the publication route to explain a lot of backstory as to not clog up the movies.

here's what we've got for Phasma: All New Backstory and Details on The Force Awakens from the Visual Dictionary. - Star Wars News Net | Star Wars News Net

13. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Wow, people are over thinking this.

Grab a bag of popcorn, sit back and enjoy the ride while getting away from this reality for 2-1/2 hours.

A 26 yr. old guy at work has seen NOTHING Star Wars related. He was lent all the movies in chronological order. He said it was really tough to watch books 4,5, and 6 because it looked so old.

So bravo to the new movie of using "parallel structure" to introduce a new gen. to the original narrative and capturing the "spirit" of the same thing that hooked all of us older fans.

14. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, bought the action figures when I was around 9 or 10 (this was in the 80is), and I love the movies (Ep 4-6, ie).
    I went to see Ep 7 last week, and I am not sure yet what to think of it. I think I need to see it a couple more times, but I was not blown away by it (as in I did not tihnk it was awesome) ... so my first reaction was like...meh....

That being said, the popcorn was damn good! Well worth going to the movies for! :yesway:

15. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

But Star Wars isn't meant to be a popcorn movie. The only thing this movie captures from the original trilogy is the story exactly, because it steals it. None of the spirit.

16. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Death Will Reign

I saw it (finally). I liked it a good bit, but found a whole lot of plot "holes" that have been mentioned. I was a tad bit disappointed with the film in general, and I'm hoping that VIII pulls the problems I had to make it all work out for the better. Just like I enjoy Phantom Menace a good bit because the way it plays the rest of them. So I'm just hoping VII is like I, but, well, obviously better.

17. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Of course it is. In fact Star Wars (together with Jaws) was the "inventor" of the modern blockbuster/popcorn movie.

Star Wars' features always were a simple to follow story, following the classic Hero's Journey, with children as it's main audience and a marketing heavily featuring merchandise. (Hell ANHs final battle sequence was partially made with X-Wings from the merchandise sector, because that way the production costs could be lowered).

Star Wars is the classic hero story poeple have been telling each other for thousands of years.

If anything in this world is a popcorn movie, then Star Wars is.

Oh and before you ask: Yes I grew up with the original trilogy and I love those movies.

18. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

to me any movie in the movie theater is a popcorn movie :shrug:

19. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

if you are watching a movie and have popcorn in your lap, then its a popcorn movie

not every teather sells hotdogs, pizzas, and nachos...... how I miss those in mine :(

20. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

and damn, that salted pop corn is nice!
    never really been much into sweet pop corn but salted pop corn is where it's at for me :bowdown: