Star wars Battlefront 2

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mongey, Sep 26, 2017.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

It's not the hero unlock that makes it P2W, it's the large (40% or so) stat increases that also come out of those crates.

I've heard scattered reports that there's also a serious daily cap on how many credits you can earn, meaning that while it prevents you from feeling you have to play 20 hours a day, it also means that without buying crap you're going to be waiting for weeks to be able to keep up with them thanks to that limit. I'm not 100% sure on that one though, it's hard to know when only a few people actually have played the damn thing apart from in review mode.

Another thing that has people up in arms is that the credits earned have nothing whatsoever to do with performance, so even if you're getting first place in all the matches you'll accumulate them at the same speed as if you just got last place in every match, meaning there's no way whatsoever to speed it up apart from paying microtransactions.

2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

EA have removed the refund button on their website

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

They also have the single lowest votes comment on Reddit history by a factor of 25.

They are getting some nerd rage about this game. (Haven’t played it so wouldn’t know the details).

4. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

with the psn pre black Friday sale this weekend gonna be interesting to see if this gets a heavy discount to get people in

I'm hoping all this gets resolved. cause it still looks like a great star wars game

that said if one company will refuse to bow to internet rage its EA

5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I feel like I don’t want to play EA games because of this shitshow. That and I’m hearing not positive things about this game already.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

titanfall 2 and bf1 were both great games, when EA isn't being a money hungry fucker they actually let their devs make great games. I desperately want this game to be less grindy if only so I can run around as vader and force lightning people like I used to back in the og Battlefront II.

7. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

Closer to 22x now... but only because they also managed to snag the second lowest score on another comment.

They've also managed to score (well deserved) negative press in several high profile media outlets due to the sheer volume of outrage and growing attention to the issues with lootboxes, which makes this a much more interesting scenario than typical backlash over pay-to-win gameplay. I still expect the game to sell well (it's Star Wars after all, and EA is a master of spinning the narrative to make it look like they "fixed" things with little or no actual change - they're already attempting this from several angles), but when it comes to deceptive marketing and destructive gameplay practices, I'm all too happy to see their bottom line diminish.

You can still do that on the original if you play on PC. It was updated to restore multiplayer functionality last month. Needless to say, it's been pretty popular. Given how good the original was, I figure it'll have a modest dedicated playerbase for quite some time.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Mathemagician likes this.
  8. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

To unlock everything in the game would take 4,528 hours, or $2100. To unlock everything for a single hero, trooper and starfight takes 490 hours.

9. KnightBrolaire

source for that?

10. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

11. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

As others say I don’t have a problem with grinding for epuipment. I’ve grinded countless hours in battlefield for the gun I want. But when its for heroes it’s a different story
    yeah I saw that on N4g and one of the replies form someone with the game was interesting when someone said they like a good grind .I'm cut and pasting the dude

Oh I do to(like a grind) , until you realize that every single character or class you play you don't ever level. It's all tied to the stupid cards. Want a level 10 Heavy class? Playing 5,000 hours won't do anything. You need 2 purple cards slotted to even reach level 10 to unlock the 3rd card slot. You know how much it is to upgrade a card from blue to purple? 480 crafting parts. I've played 5 hours of MP and have 445 crafting parts. You know the ONLY way to get more? Take a wild guess? Loot boxes. Oh you want loot boxes you said? Well your capped at around 400 credits (not crafting parts) per match. A trooper crate is 4,000. Roughly 10 games of around 30 minutes each to buy ONE loot box. Didn't get a heavy card? Well, grind out 10 more matches and hope the next box has it.

It would take somewhere around 2,000 crafting parts if you wanted to buy 3 basic cards and upgrade them to purple to allow you to actually equip all 3. Times that by each playable thing in the game and the number are going to look insane. That 75% Hero reduction was the SMALLEST problem with the progression system. Again, I'm 5 hours in and already feeling the pay gate heavy. That's not okay.

sounds painful

12. KnightBrolaire

jesus. if these testimonies keep popping up it's time to short EA's stock.

13. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

They reduced the cost for the heroes greatly, reduced the amount of credits you get from finishing the single player campaign by the same amount, but basically did nothing to the amount of credits you get from multiplayer, so it will be much less painful to unlock characters over time.

This whole thing is something that I'm guessing probably 75% of people that play this game will never notice and never care about. The remaining 25% will either nerdrage about it (which is justified, IMO) or just buy the crates cause they have way too much disposable income (or they're kids whose parents mistakenly left their credit card information saved on the PS4).

From what I've heard the gameplay is very fun and the single player campaign is also very fun (if really short).

I'll think about buying it when it's 30 dollars. Obviously I'll be worthless in multiplayer cause everyone else will have gotten all of the state increases years ago, but oh well.

14. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

If it was included in this weeks PSN I would've been very tempted to get it still. I know EA this and that but its a freaking star wars game and looks like a good one

but its not ,so I'll hang back a bit and see how it plays out

15. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Micro transactions have been turned off in the game, but will come back at a later date. No word of changes to the progression system otherwise, whether things will still be time based or performance based.

I don't trust this at all.

16. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Oddly enough I got a message from GameFly saying this was on its way. At least I can try it and see how that goes. Not sounding promising though, even with the micro transactions shut off.