Star War Rogue One

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Ibanezsam4, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Murdstone

Murdstone Sycamore Trees

Did anybody over the age of 14 actually think K2SO was funny?

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yes. Most people.

3. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Yep. Best character in the movie.

4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

as much?, he only had two scenes :scratch: I agree the first one was odd, but the last scene it was a must in order to be able to tie the two movies together

remember this movie was in the era right just before EP IV, so everyone is going to be asking "wheres Vader?", being him the lider of the Empire, you HAVE to at least mention him, and to not show him it was going to be a disaster for the fans. One of the most iconic characters of the saga, and you make a movie who fits on the timeline of him and not show him?

If not I would say, they show him too little (taking into account what I already said before, this would be it for this character, theres no other movie they can do to use him again)

yup

agree here. I loved they give a more "real" personality to it, rather than a "robot" personality. Bit more like bender

5. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I think that it would've made more sense to axe the entire first scene with Vader and just have it be an intimidating hologram message, making his appearance at the end significantly more impactful. The first scene was awkward and, in my opinion, very out of character.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I actually like the inclusion of the first Vader scene because there was so much done there to try to make the character feel grand again- it's the only scene I can think of in the movie where the cinematography in itself is trying to tell you a story - the shadows, angles, framing, etc., trying to play at a sense of scale. To me, it seemed reasonably clear that the intention was to re-establish Vader's role, remind you that you're supposed to fear him. It would have been a great scene had Vader either been more in-character, or just said nothing at all. The dialog ruined an otherwise great scene, IMO.

7. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

What's kind of funny about the first Vader scene is that its context is like a grandiose version of office politics. Krennic flies to Lava Planet and disturbs him from his chambers just to mewl about getting proper credit as if Vader is a middle manager and the Death Star is the TPS Report. Maybe it was supposed to show Krennic as bold, but it could also read as him having a painful lack of self-awareness of his expendability.

8. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

While a film shouldn't be judged by what it was or could have been and only by its final version. It is worth noting that Rogue One had a LOT of reshoots and edits. Originally Krennic had more scenes with Vader and they seemed to have a genuine relationship. If you watch the old trailers you can see these scenes. The introduction and end battle were also quite different.

There are a number of times in the film where I knew something had been cut out but they had to leave traces of it for continuity reasons, example being the mindreading monster thing, Forest Whitaker's character, Jyn's character arc etc

9. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

It was a bummer that Forrest didn't get more screen time. He was one of the most interesting characters and he was given what, 5 minutes of screen time? Hopefully there's a bit of deleted scenes to show more of his character.