Star War Rogue One

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Ibanezsam4, Apr 7, 2016.

1. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

Really enjoyed the movie, I'm not really a critic. I felt that it put context into the urgency (more so than the deathstar blowing things up) to episode iv. My wife and I were feeling so tense for the last 3rd of the movie. I'm looking forward to seeing the DVD and hoping to see if they release the deleted scenes.

I didn't mind the semi blandish characters in my mind they were realistically more in line with just some ordinary and plausibly uncharismatic everyday people.

The whole thing felt like a pretty good first step for spin off material. Let's just remember i-iii was some gaudy space opera. I'm truely hoping to see more spin offs maybe even a shadows of the empire film.

2. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

and the sad part is that it wont happen, this was it for Vader. This was a "pre-quel" to episode IV,
    till the point they could erase the end credits and the opening credits of IV and cut the two movies together perfectly (one of the reasons I LOVE the ending)

so I dont think they would release another kind of pre-quel again. Like "this canon film would sit before X movie, but after Y in between Z". It would start to complicate things. And since episode IV-V-VI almost happen on a row (time wise, give or take couple of years), not sure how many other stories can they trow in there that would need Vader to be on it too without clashing with the main Star Wars story.

So as awesome that was to see VAder in this film, sadly this is as good as it would ever get. I though it was tatesfull how they used him, they gave him a good honour to his name/evilness. And I though "yup, this was enough for now, Im happy"...... until I realise later on that "this is it, no more"... then I was like (insert Vader's voice): "nnnnnoooooooooooo......"

3. GodOfChugs

GodOfChugs SSO's Chugmeister

Saw this movie last night, as a stand alone I thought it could have been very awesome. I kind of felt like it was too short. I don't know 100% about the whole SW lore but from what I got this was supposed to be a prequel to how majority of the events in Star Wars happened. I feel like for a single movie
    How everyone died, it was too short :/

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I guess you aren't aware of the young Han Solo movie coming out in 2018!

5. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeah I know, but that one is more of a "stand alone", it would be so early on the saga that it wont affect anything of it. ITs not like sudenly young Han is gonna cross paths with JarJarBinks, bet money on the pod race, and help the clone army.

Roge One, might have been called "Episode 0", or "Episode 3.5" for how close to the main plot and story line goes.

In order to have another movie with Vader on it, it would have to be or either Between EpIII and Rogue One, which it would be a prequel of a prequel, but a kinda of sequel of III...it would start to be confusing on releasing reverse time line movies prequels all the time.

or the movie would have to fit after EpIV, but earlier than VI events. So again another movie trying to fit between there as a prequel/sequel/sidestory thing.

Thats what I mean, sadly there wont be more Vader, unless they fully re-do the I-III trilogy.

There would be side stories and movie events that they would happen during the main saga time line, but If you want Vader, then the story has to fit on a specific point of the main SW, and in some way be related to it, which it would make it a some kind of prequel/sequel thing, which I dont think it would happen anymore, as it gets confusing for some ppl

6. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I loved the movie, to me it is one of the best. For the record I was 50/50 about ep7.

-The Tarkin CGI allows to not have to explain who he is again. The Leia CGI is however completely useless: you know it's her just seeing her from behind.

-I'd bet a pretty hefty sum that Vader's majordomo is in fact Snoke and this is the reason that scene is here

-We didn't get a lot of details on the characters, but remember the lore of the main villains was established through a ton of books, two RPGs, computer games etc etc. Vader in Ep IV without any additional material is just "the excited dude in black yelling all the time that killed Luke's father". He only got to be cool in EP IV, where he showed to be cunning and traded his "yelling sergeant" attitude for a more refined one, including his way of walking.

-Music was globally meh, but if I got the story right the score had to be done in a month because the original scorer had to leave because lots of parts were reshot and he had a commitment to the new Besson movie, so he was replaced.

-The R2/C3PO scene isn't needed but they are the only characters to have appeared in all SW movies so far so I guess this was to continue that trend.

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I really don't understand why so many internet reviews .... all over this movie...

If anybody was expecting it not to have anything to do with Star Wars, or their main complaint is that this is a cash grab, then their reviews might as well have been written without seeing the film.

Some of you guys here, in this thread, though, have brought up much better points about flaws in the film than anything I've seen from professional critics.

How good or bad the characters were, I guess, is subjective. At least a majority of the people in the cinema when I saw the film, were audibly invested in some of the characters. Admittedly, though, Jyn was not the most likable character, but she did a fine job moving the plot right along. I thought they did a great job with Cassian, though, since he did some things, and kind of had a nice character arc. It's certainly not Shakespeare, but for a Star Wars flick, I thought he was ahead of the curve on character development, particularly for what I expected.

8. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I didn't mind the "bland" characters. I felt like the main "character development" was the rebellion as a whole and giving us insight into what it really was. It didn't strike me like it was supposed to about a group or remarkable rebels, but about of unremarkable rebels doing a remarkable thing.

9. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I rather liked it, some gaps in the Star Wars overall story are now filled, and there's opportunity for other side stories.

10. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I saw a much longer, more detailed version of this exact same idea in the comments on AVClub or Birthmoviesdeath. I sort of get it. The way the movie
    keeps on going after every single character dies
    certainly adds to that idea.

11. protest

protest SS.org Regular

It was exactly what I wanted it to be, a cool, gritty movie that felt more like a Star Wars video game than a Star Wars movie. I liked the increased darkness and violence showomg off that it was an actual war. The tie ins with the other movies was great, and Vader's usage was perfect.

Even though the characters were cookie cutter, I thought the movie captured the nervous tension and gravity of the situation. It did a lot of things Star Wars could not do before, and was much more realistic. I thought it was great for what it was, the same way I thought VII was great for being essentially a reboot and way to draw everyone back in.

12. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Gonna see it this afternoon. I'm excited to see it even though the ending has been spoiled. I mean, I kinda figured what was going to happen, but there was really no way to avoid it. Even normal news outlets had items like (should I tag it?)
    "Funny That Felicity Jones' Contract Had Multiple Films On It (Spoilers Inside!)"
    that kind of lent to the conclusion that, yeah, I was right.

13. Kanye

Kanye SS.org Regular

Watched it, loved it. Im just here for the green blocks lol

14. Demiurge

It was good! Though, hearing the news about Carrie Fisher upon emerging from the theater put a damper on the proceedings.

Some things about the movie that bugged me:
    -Is there a functional purpose for Darth Vader's castle to be built on a volcanically-active area? Good on him for not having any stigma about lava (sand, still a deal-breaker), but the Bowser's castle aesthetic is bit excessive.
    -
    Saw Guerera seemed like a semi-interesting character that was disposed-of too quick. I dunno- was he created just to tie-in with that Rebels cartoon?
    -
    The whole thing at the end with claw-machine file-access chamber and the randomly-placed switches for the satellite dish seemed like a video game contrivance.
    -
    The Rebellion: "No, we're not going to do anything." "Oh, this small ship ended up going to Scarif without our appoval... eh, y'know, let's send almost all our assets anyway." The resulting Star Destroyer dominoes was worth it, though.

15. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yeah, it's Mustafar and it's to really piss him off to become closer to the dark side.

16. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

What trailers were shown before you guys saw the movie?

Oh, and Carrie Fisher had a heart attack yesterday.
    Anyone hear about this?

17. Demiurge

I arrived late but I caught Dunkirk, Fast & The Furious, Spider-Man, Pirates of the Caribbean, and a slow-motion sequence featuring chunks of a beloved Disney character spraying onto the roadway that I presume to be the new Cars sequel.

18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yeah I saw this. I wish her all the best in her recovery and hope it goes well. She is so iconic. To be 60 and have this happen is crazy. Look at Harrison for example, must be older than that and still going along.

19. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

This was actually my favorite SW movie outside of the original three. It wasn't perfect, but man was it good!

I laughed out loud at that scene. All the dark tower needed was a big flaming eye!

20. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Yeah, I was expecting the Eye of Sauron atop that tower too!

I thought the movie was epic; it completely lived up to my expectations.

There were two scenes that I think could have been omitted.

Saw using the octopus thing to mind probe the pilot and Jyn running into the drunks from the cantina, namely.

Grand Moff Tarkin was just as creepy as I remember from seeing the originals back in the eighties.