Standing & Playing: Guitar for Broad Shoulders

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Kemono, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Kemono

Kemono SS.org Regular

Playing standing up is totally different than playing sitting down.

Ibanez RG models do not fit my body and desired playing style for stand up playing. My broad, prone shoulders cause difficulty with standup guitar. My sciatica came back due to having to play bent over — a posture that probably conveys some physical of the discomfort to my audience that I feel as the performer. In any case, it's no good. I want to play with good stance: standing upright, shoulders back, hips forward.

I'm looking for a guitar that is going to be easy for me to play standing up. And the reason that I am posting this in the Lutheiry forum is that the physical design of the guitar matters, and such details are considerations for guitar designers & builders.

The guitar must be:

* Hanging so that strumming area is waist level, or a bit lower.
    * With the neck to the left and angled up so that I can play high enough on the neck. (This will have to do with the body shape and position of strap buttons.)
    * Neck thru (ideally) or set neck, prefer 24 frets.

The best guitar I've found that fits those criteria is a 2016 Gibson flying V. It was about $1100 at GC and that's a bit more than I want to spend now. It has a rosewood fingerboard and 22 frets. I'd rather 24 and ebony or maple. Korina wings would be nice, too. Although I must admit, that Gibson V in drop D sounded balls. Probably has hot pups in it (though the balls could've been from the Engl).

Dean V's look really good, but I can't find any in town.

Please advise me on locating a guitar that will fit me.

Thank you.

2. eoinbmorg

eoinbmorg SS.org Regular

Its hard to understand what you're looking for, but maybe a headless guitar? They balance almost perfectly, so you can angle it however you want, and it will stay there. If you have back/shoulder problems, the lighter weight would probably be good too.

3. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For Korina wings and 24 frets you might have to go custom shop.

4. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

5. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

Have you tried an explorer or Jackson Kelly type shape? That may give you a good direction...

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

You need to NOT be playing at waist level, number 1. The reason why bands with "guitar nerd" musicians play with the instruments up high is due to comfort. It's more comfortable, the higher you brin the guitar. The Ernie Ball music man guitars feel smaller than other brands, and have very comfortable fret access, IMO. But seriously, a super-strat hooked up high is what I do to avoid pain.