Standard notation and alternate tunings

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by ElRay, Jan 20, 2018.

1. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I was looking at some older sheet music at imslp.org and saw:
    Code:
    3 = F#
    and
    Code:
    3 = fis
    Pretty easy assumption that both mean the 3rd string is tuned down from G to F#, but does that mean when you see a 3rd string note, you play the note actually shown, or does it modify all the 3rd string notes (like a key signature) and when you see a 3rd string note, you play the note as you normally would, but it will actually sound a half step lower?

2. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Dang tootin

3. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yeah, German speakers use H for what English speakers call B and German B is English B flat. Music notation in Germany is very old, so some of these more ancient terms still linger, like Des and Dis for Db and D#, just like Italy using solfege.

Some writers might use odd conventions, but, as far as I know, if it says 3 = Fis, you tune your third string down and then play pitches as they are written (meaning you have to remember that you tuned down. Honestly, this is a thousand times more common if it's 6 = D. :lol:

5. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

That's what I thought, but I saw something that looked like an odd stretch. I'll have to re-read the score and actually sit and play it.

6. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Dang tootin

That sounds like a neusince lol, good luck!

7. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

I remember back in the days of PowerTab, uploaders had to write everything for standard tuning and then put an 'offset' in the playback so that it was simpler this way. It sounds like a nice idea on paper, but I suppose it makes more sense to just struggle with the transposition for a while until you get used to it. Afterall, it it wrote the incorrect pitches differently to how they sound, it would screw up the whole harmonic intention of the notes for anyone who bears that kind of thing in mind when reading. Transposing instruments entire key is one thing, but doing it to some notes but not others on the same staff would be asking for trouble