Stainless steel frets - rga8 & rg2228 halp

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Cobra, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Cobra

Cobra SS.org Regular

Hi :rolleyes:

I'm going to order some stainless steel frets for a luthier to put on a rga8 and a rg2228. the radius for the rga8 is 400mm, and the rg2228 is 430mm. I've never ordered frets before and I want to make sure that I get it right. I want to order the "jumboest" jescar frets: Jescar "Super Jumbo" Stainless Steel Fret Wire (6 ft) - C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply

On the link it says "pre-radiused on a ~10" radius basis" but in this video: https://youtu.be/VCDzEeugekg?t=1m20s he talks about matching the radius, is this something that is easy for the luthier to do with a so called "fret bender" at his shop, or would it be best if I could order the frets matched from cbgitty with that radius? :scratch:

because now the luthier has to bend the frets from the 10" (254mm) to 400mm/430mm, and that won't be a problem? they won't wanna go back to the "254mm state" as in bending upwards over time? I have no knowledge of this I'm just trying to figure it out. :nuts:

and yeah, the first link to the jescar frets says a pack of 6 ft, does anyone familiar with 8-strings and frets know how much fret wire is needed for an 8-string rga8/rg2228? they are both 27" with 24 frets. :ugh:

I hope someone can help me, because ordering frets is not my strength and I don't want to order something useless because I did not do the research. I've googled like crazy but I can't find anything explaining this .... :wallbash: :wavey:

And yes, I'm getting stainless steel frets, and no I won't concider normal frets, lol. :shred: :metal: :fawk: <3 you people in here totally rocks by the way.

2. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Off hand, you probably need to have the old frets pulled first, so you can measure the tang and depth of the part that is sunk into the fretboard. If you order them too small or too large, it might effect the neck relief, and/or how well they stay seated.

Radius doesn't really matter if the luthier has a wire shaping tool.

Measure your widest fret (24th), add half an inch, multiply that by 24, you have total wire needed.