Stage Presence for Guitarists

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by Obfuscator, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Zeewod

Zeewod SS.org Regular

I play guitar in one band and bass in the other, and there is nothing more fun to me than going nuts and putting on a good stage show. I headbang, I run around, I jump, and smile and get in the face of the crowd, smile and get in the face of my band members, do guitar spins, tons of stuff. I try to just have fun up on stage, because when the crowd sees you looking like a fool and having a good time, they will have a good time. I know some people prefer just to hear music at a show and don't care about stage presence, but there are other people there that want to see a show, and that's who I try to entertain.

I only do as much as I can without messing up my parts though, of course ;)

2. tat2sbylolo

tat2sbylolo Tattoo Artist here!

Practice with your guitar strapped on and standing up with a mirror so you can see your self. But spend most of your time standing while practicing!

3. thedarkoceans

thedarkoceans Banned

+1 for Dillinger and The Ocean.

4. BrianUV777BK

BrianUV777BK Riffmiester General

5. Nesty

Nesty SS.org Regular

Knowing your guitar parts flawlessly is one thing, knowing them whilst introducing stage presence is another.

Countless times I've seen guys go crazy on stage. Whilst it looks cool unfortunately the guitar playing suffers. I would make sure your playing whilst headbanging/jumping about and whatnot are up to scratch. Once you've accomplished that then it's plain sailing.

A very very important part of stage presence is acting natural. There's nothing more cringe than watching someone force themselves to look good on stage. Relax!!! Do what feels natural to YOU.

Integrate some synchronised bit with your band. Raise your arms up in the air at some particular drum interval. Eye contact with the band. AND smile! You don't need to look like a hardass the entire time.

Most of all, enjoy yourself because if you can't do that then what's the point?

6. Double A

Double A Subhuman

To me, metal guitar presence is all in the stance. I like to stand like Hetfield used to back in the day. Like you are in the middle of a Hurricane and trying to not get blown away. And then I headbang during the appropriate parts, which on a good day is nearly all of them.

Also, for the love of god, you can get low but no crab core!

7. Double A

Double A Subhuman

Nah, after you have lost your hair (Like I have) you just have to headbang like you are trying to throw your head off of your shoulders.

8. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

I like the guy who said "Do what the music tells you to." If the music tells you to relax and have a veggie burger, don't mosh. But if your music tells you to freak out and kill all humans, don't stand there like a dork. Love The Chariot - best two quotes "On top of that, we're not very good" and "I've never said no to pizza" - They were actually really tight despite the antics.
    Also, I'm sorry about the veggie burger joke- I love veggie burgers! It's just that I want bacon on mine...

My own personal thing however is to just beat on that guitar like it owes me a whole bunch of money.