Ss.org RAW challenge thread.

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by Tang, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

2. Nats

Nats SS.org Regular

3. ThePhilosopher

4. Tang

Tang Master of Chihuahuas

5. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

Bam! That was a fun one to edit. I'm so used to Canon RAWs, this had me thinking a bit more. Interestingly enough, though, I didn't do things that much differently. This photo seemed to start out a bit flatter but got contrasty faster than what I'm used to, and I added a lot more sharpening than normal (it seemed to need a bit more, but I feel like it handled it a bit better than the 70D RAWs, too).

[​IMG]IMGP9558 by philbabbey, on Flickr

6. Tang

Nice! I actually thought about doing a wider crop and using the trees to balance out the frame, but the I like having the subject just a tad bigger. Really liking your tones in the sky, though! If I'm honest with you, my first color edit looked just like that!

EDIT: this was shot with my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and while it's nowhere near as sharp as that Sigma I was playing with I can't help but love how it renders shots. How do you feel the base sharpness compares with your Sigma 17-50?

7. Philligan

I feel like the Sigma is any sharper. I'm on my phone and can't pixel peep, but I'll try and post a full res photo. Flickr wouldn't let me link on my phone, so I tried do download the full res version on my phone, we'll see if it works. :lol:

I remember being surprised by how sharp this photo was, so if it's the full res version, check it out and see what you think. If it doesn't work I'll post the real one from the computer. This was pretty much ideal settings - middle of the zoom range and f7.1 IIRC.

[​IMG]

8. Tang

Looks like it got downsized to 1024px somewhere in the process. I find the easiest way to get the full size shots from mobile flickr is to click on "view all sizes" and Save to photos. Using the flickr app rarely works properly.

Actually, the new flickr app is total shit, IMO.

9. Philligan

That's what I ended up trying, funny it didn't work. I'll post the full res one soon man.

edit: Sorry that took so long man. Here's the link. I think you should be able to download the full res file from there?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  10. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

Here is a RAW file for anyone interested.

Shot on a Canon 5d MKII with a 85mm f1.2L
    The camera setting were ISO 100, f1.2, 1/500sec

This is from an engagement shoot I did. It was one of the last photos I took and the sun was just above the horizon ready to set.
    I used a reflector quite a lot for this shoot but not for this shot as it was a little over powering.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/decla8294opykyb/_MG_6172.CR2?dl=0

For Tang (or anyone interested), here is some test shots I did with the 85mm as I wanted to see how sharp it was wide open compared to my other lenses. I also wanted to see properly how much the contrast changes stopping down.
    It's the same subject in each photo but the lighting does change a little through-out the shots.
    There are five photos at 1.2 / 2 / 2.8 / 4 / 8
    They are RAW files too.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aaoz5tkqo0dpi86/AADkyJX-OQDWL6kzMu-vN6cMa?dl=0

I'm going to keep these links up for a day or two before deleting.

11. ThePhilosopher

12. Tang

I gave it a crack too.. nice file :) I didn't even try to fix that light flare on the grooms face.

[​IMG]raw challenge by nrrfed, on Flickr

13. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

I like the tones on Philosopher's edit. The choice of colors in the highlights and shadows work so well together and the subtle light really brings out the sun.

I also like Tang's high contrast, detailed edit. Plus the light wraps around them revealing more. Did you notice the crazy blue bit on the grooms right cuff. How did you manage that :lol:

Here's my original edit. I went B&W. I think it's a mixture of both of your edits, just B&W :lol:
    [​IMG]

14. Tang

HOLY SHIT DUDE. Omg.

I didn't even notice his sleeve! For shots without a ton of blues I like to bump up the blue saturation channel because it tends to add a bit of pop to shots. That being said, if there's any blue at all (like skies or his collar) it can get out of control real fast.

I did say it was a quick edit!

15. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

Philosopher, I tried your Selah file. I got tones that I really liked but I couldn't touch up the skin to look as natural as your edit.
    Maybe it's lightroom not having as much flexibility as photoshop although I'm sure it's a case of the user being at error, not the tools :lol: So yeah, I gave up on it because I need a lot more practice touching up skin.

This was great practice though :) I'm just not going to show my end result :lol:

16. ThePhilosopher

It could be the tool, if you could open up my PSD file you'd see the method I use requires adjustment layers - I don't know if Lightroom does layers at all.

17. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

No layers in lightroom. Looks like I need to start looking at photoshop again.

18. ThePhilosopher

You could use CS2 and get the results I do (if it would open the raw files).

19. Philligan

Hey Dave, here's the only photo I know I'm happy with at the moment. :lol: There's another I think I'm going to like, but I haven't had a chance to look at it in Lightroom yet. Up until today, I've almost entirely shot jpgs, so I don't have a lot of raws at the moment. I'll try and get out shooting soon and post some more.

Anyone else who wants to, go nuts. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzuivxr6fuoqyz2/DSCF1107.RAF?dl=0

20. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

Thanks for that Phil :)
    I see what you mean with the shallow depth of field. Seems a little much for f4 on a crop sensor :shrug:

Arg none of my personal presets work on this RAW :lol:

As it stands I don't actually like the Fuji RAW (I didn't think I'd be saying this haha). I know you are liking the change and that's awesome :) But then again I never felt anything was wrong with my RAWs apart from the iso noise while you were not liking the canon RAWs in general.

I need to work on this file more to get a grip on the colors.