Spam: Solution ideas

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Sofos, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

My idea was to have captchas for thread start. what do you guys think would help solve the problem?

2. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I'm not opposed to the captcha system, but I also feel that spam is not a huge issue here. The threads come up pretty infrequently, and when they do, we have a great reporting system that the more seasoned members use, and the threads seem to get locked/deleted by the ss.org mod team almost as soon as they are reported. :yesway:

3. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

i usually dont mind either, but there have been 5 i have reported so far TODAY.

4. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Now that I found out you don't have to report EVERY thread they start like I used to, it's not as bad reporting them, but I'd say there's still a good chunk of them that gets through and manage to spam a good chunk whether they be new threads, or just random posts that de-rail threads.

I'm not opposed to a captcha system, but I'm not like "FUCK YEAH 4 CAPTCHAS" either

5. Robrecht

Robrecht Overall weird person

Just today, I noticed what I think is a spam account that didn't start a couple of easily recognizable threads as usual, but actually attempted to post relevant answers in existing ones.

Well, "relevant"... some incoherent mumblings here, an almost context-fitting piece of advice (copied word for word from jemsite) here. I have reported these posts of course. The links in the signature give it away as an obvious attempt at either spam or rogue SEO by seeding a lot of links to their site. <=== edit (Sept. 2): posts are gone now.

If this is a new strategy (it's the first time I've seen it here), it'll circumvent the captcha-when-starting-a-thread idea and make it harder to recognize spam accounts, especially if they get better at faking useful answers.

Of course, if they get really good, they might actually evolve into valuable SSO members. :lol:

Edit: Just an idea: wouldn't it be possible to prevent new users from posting links in their first, say, 10 posts? There might be a forum plugin that adds this as an extra permissions option or something. Or would that be too annoying for real new users?

6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Yeah, I know on some other sites people can't link with a certain number of posts, and I believe the amount is changeable

7. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

I used to be a spambot...

8. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

The best thing from a spambot was my new signature. I stole it and changed a minor detail.

9. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

Its better than nothing, but not being able to post links doesn't stop spam bots, it hinders them but you still get the fake advice posts.

10. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

CAPTCHA won't do much, they can recognize them now, hence the making an account in the first place.

As much as it is annoying, it's kind of cool to see how they've developed over the years, I mean now a days most spam bots who 'comment' by taking words, and stringing sentences together can sometimes just come off as someone who has English as a second language, as to back in the day when they just post 100 links to the product :lol:

11. Robrecht

Robrecht Overall weird person

I'm not sure they're bots anymore. I can imagine dodgy SEO optimisation companies paying actual people, possibly in developing countries all around the world, a tiny fee to spread as many links around forums as they can.