Soundcheck Riffs

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by zephyrkillz, Dec 29, 2015.

1. zephyrkillz

zephyrkillz SS.org Regular

What are some cool/catchy riffs or noodling you like to play when you're doing soundcheck?

2. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I've always only played what was on the set that night as that's what soundcheck is for. We'd finish the soundcheck with the first song in the set, as everything is set and ready to go for showtime. We'd pick medium tempo songs, fast tempo songs, and a technical song, both physically as musicians, and technically with regard to midi/sequencing/sampler functions.

Usually, only about 4 songs would be needed.

We'd due the riff thingy when we'd show up to practice and had extra time available, but for the most part, all of our time on stage was limited in time, and we had to use it productively. Even in rehearsals, we'd use the additional time to catalog new riffs, and recall them on writing night. We practiced about 4 nights a week, and one of those was dedicated at least half or more of that rehearsal for writing together, which often included matching up riffs from our riff library.

3. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

You guys got four songs to do a soundcheck? That must be nice... Unless the sound guy asks us all to play together, I usually just give him some random chug/open/chug improv crap with my main distortion channel, strum some chords on the clean channel till I get the thumbs up.

4. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

I usually check my delay pedal with Rhubarb my Aphex Twin, and then when the FOH dude asks for my guitar, I either play Crystal Mountain, This Mortal Soil, or Station by Russian Circles. Rarely do I get to check my clean channel; It's usually just a line check.

5. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Mostly when we headlined & got there early before the other bands.

Often, it was just a line check, in that case, chug on G & E until he tells me to check my solo/boost preset, and a clean check and I usually went through mine pretty quick because of the way I have my modeling gear set.

I always final week all of my presets against backing tracks. My cleans/crunches/leads are all set with their respective volume levels complementing each other, and 9 out of 10 times FOH never has to touch their eq on my strip. They'd just get a good unity gain signal by adjusting the trim pot/input gain, and if the eq was switchable, often they'd disengage it. Once in a while they'd do a rolloff on the low end, but that's about it.

They're basically trying to weed out any anomalies in advance, like telling someone that their clean channel is too quiet and their lead channel is too loud. They don't want to get surprised during the first song and you break out into a lead and clip on their system. I've seen some guitar players show up with some pretty ridiculous settings on many occasions. When they ride the faders, they're looking for minimal movements, and appropriately so.

6. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

For some reason I always play the Mob Rules riff at sound checks.

7. Stooge1996

Stooge1996 SS.org Regular

My melodic hardcore band sound checks to main riff of holy diver. Really fun riff to sound check, it also get's some good looks in the crowd. Might be moving onto the intro riff of raining blood. The juxtapositon between metal covers and sad band makes it fun

8. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler Contributor

Our guitarist plays the main lead to Careless Whisper. lol.

9. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

I just alternate chugging and open notes on the low string tbh - occasionally I'll play the intro to Megalovania by Toby Fox tho

10. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

My old band's other guitarist would usually play the opening riff to Roses for the Dead by Funeral for a Friend and/or the main riff to Indonesia by August Burns Red. Our bassist would mostly just chug an open note or play one of our own riffs. I would usually either chug mindlessly or play the main riff from Breeze by Bulb. If there was time, I'd go to my lead sound and play some single-note lines and strum some chords on the clean channel just to get the levels right, but we were almost always rushed along and any adjustments I had to make would be mid-set :lol:

I actually think about soundcheck riffs a lot since I miss being in an active band, and always pay attention to what bands play since I can usually pick out a song or two on a given night. Some of the best ones I've seen have been Flying Whales by Gojira, 5 Minutes Alone by Pantera, and Unspoken by The Ghost Inside.

11. goldsteinat0r

goldsteinat0r Zib Zob Zabbity

I've played some groaners before (Layla, Stairway, etc), but lately I just strum a few chords with whatever my main tone is. Sound sucks in most of the places we play anyway.

12. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

This makes me think of two related stories. One time my band sound checked with a song that was in the works, played about 45 seconds of it. People were way into it, but the song wasn't done and we never played it. I think folks might have been almost more into that song than anything we did play that night! Haha.
    The other is a tale of douche baggery. We toured with a larger act briefly, the guitarist of the other band sound checked with 'Twist of Cain' and then the next night my bassist did the same while their guitarist was standing right there. Real life face palm.

13. thrsher

thrsher \m/-_-\m/

i always riff out spheres of madness by decapitated for sound check, been doing it for a good 6 years or so now

14. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

When I went to Summer Slaughter, who ever was soundchecking for Veil of Maya (IIRC) tore into the opening riff for Du Hast. I got excited, to say the least.

15. Ibycan7

Ibycan7 SS.org Regular

End of a Heartache by KSE. it our go to song for soundcheck.

16. UV7BK4LIFE

UV7BK4LIFE Schecter A7 addict

ministry - new World order

17. Dabo Fett

Dabo Fett SS.org Regular

Horsham, PA but straight from Long Island
    The intro/verse riffs from love on the rocks with no ice from the darkness. Nice mix of dynamics, single string stuff and chords with muting in that one

18. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Cemetery Gates is usually a good one, but I enjoy silly sound check songs, too.

19. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

^silly soundchecks are the best! There was a local band that my band played with a few times who's vocalist would do the Stewie Griffin "MOM" bit for his vocal check. Oh, and one of the times I saw Periphery, Jake did both vocal mic checks and was screaming about farting on people and how much Pantera rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOLxQGLJouI

I was actually working on a full-on metal band composition of Ellie Goulding's I Need Your Love for my old band to do a full band check to, but the whole band just sorta fizzled out before we got a chance to use it :(

20. cult

cult SS.org Regular

I play Deftones - Bloody Cape
    Some Low notes, some weird chords to check for clarity.