Sophia 2:92 trem as FR replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Stuck_in_a_dream, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They look like trems from the future, and the 2:92 is a direct replacement for FR/OFR, here is the product page:
    https://csl-sophia-tremolos.myshopi...ia-2-92-tremolos/products/sophia-2-92-tremolo

Anyone had any experience with these? Positive/negative? How much better are they compared to the regular FR, Ibanez Edge etc? I would like to mod one of my LTDs that came with FR special, and upgrade it to the 2:92. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That's a lot of money for added complexity without real benefit, at least from what I can tell.

There's a ton of buzz about the Sophia online, but I haven't really seen any real information. Definitely never seen one in person and there's no word on long term usage.

A Gotoh 1996T is only $100 and is an absolutely wonderful unit.

Strobe and Stuck_in_a_dream like this.
  3. eloann

eloann SS.org Regular

I've got a golden 2:22 at arms reach - sending it to Aviator guitars to use on a "modern strat" build due around Christmas

Unfortunately I don't have any vibrato-equiped guitar I could try it in so this isn't going to help much.
    If you love the guitar but it's plagued by floyd-related issues (i.e. setup time: about 12 days) it may be worth considering their stuff as it should help (especially with the stabilizers & global tuner options).

4. MaxOfMetal

Neither of those things are new, and they aren't going to really help if you don't set up the unit right in the first place.

It's the same concept as the ZPS, an overall tension adjustment thumbwheel paired with a set of stabilizer springs to aid in returning to zero.

They just help augment an already perfectly setup trem, and if used properly and at the right time, can help compensate for the strings degrading, which is what knocks most locking trem setups out of tune over time.

Setting up floating trems is not rocket science. There's just a particular process that needs to be followed in order.

1) Block the trem at zero.
    2) Tune using the tuners at the headstock.
    3) Lock everything up.
    4) Adjust tuning with fine tuners if needed.
    5) Unblock
    6) Adjust spring tension until back in tune and at zero.

It should only take a few minutes.

The "Global Tension/Tuner" will take a few seconds off of step 6, and the "Stabilizer" will probably give you a little more wiggle room until next tune up.

I'm not saying that the Sophia is a bad thing. They look cool, have tons of options, and it's just nice having more cool hardware on the market, but they're not going to fix bad trem setup and maintenance habits, on the contrary: the more complex the system the more things to work.

5. eloann

eloann SS.org Regular

They appear to be less complex than Floyds (at least they market it as having much less parts)

Then again I have no experience with floyds (besides hearing them go out of tune in bands for which I play bass) and won't get a guitar with one so maybe I shouldn't have posted at all. I'll let you guys know what I think about the Sophia 2:22 towards December/January if you're still here.

6. MaxOfMetal

They have a nice smooth cowling over the top of the tuner mechanism, so much of the moving parts are out of sight. In actuality, they have more moving parts per saddle as a Floyd just has a simple pivot that's held in place buy a flat spring and adjusted by a single screw (fine tuners).

That's not including the "add-on" components of the "Global Tuner" or "Stabilizer".

Maybe they reduced part count somehow, but it has to have just as many, if not more, actual moving parts: tuner in saddle vs. simple locking saddle.

I'm all for seeing more of these in the wild. Please feel free to post more info when you receive it. :cheers:

7. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

This. This. This.

Such a steal for a solid unit. I prefer it to the edge and lopro. Now please, everybody join me in constantly harassing Gotoh through e-mail asking for a 7 string 1996T. Please!

8. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I've been playing on the same Gotoh 1996T on the same guitar for 22+ years!
    Only now am I considering replacing it as one of the knife edges is wearing out, after 22+ years!
    Guess what I'm replacing it with. Yup, another Gotoh 1996T, but I'm basically gonna use the new base plate & the old saddles in order to retain the look, as a new one might look a bit out of place. Still pondering that part of it.

aesthyrian likes this.
  9. MaxOfMetal

My vote is to replace the whole thing.

Reminds me of Vai's guitars like EVO, played so much that all the hardware has been replaced.

aesthyrian and odibrom like this.
  10. odibrom

odibrom .

Which makes me think if it still is the same guitar...

11. MaxOfMetal

odibrom likes this.
  12. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

13. odibrom

odibrom .

... in other words, Change is the only constant...