Sooo... Revv G3 vs Friedman BE-OD?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Sogradde, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I tried to find proper reviews of both but most of the time the reviewer just plays some dadrock and we all know, the cool kids want chuggz and br00tz.

Has anyone had the chance to try them against each other? I'm looking for something similar to the 5153 red channel. Not too fuzzy, nice mids and tight. Any recommendations?

BlueTrident likes this.
  2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Why not just get a 5153 and save some money then?

3. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Because I have one already.

Hollowway likes this.
  4. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

...why not get both? #pedalphilia

5. shred-o-holic

shred-o-holic SS.org Regular

The Friedman isn't as thick as the gain for the 5153. It's a more focused heavily modded Marshall tone to me. Would love to try a REVV

6. Turgon

Turgon SS.org Regular

I have the Friedman and think it's a good pedal. I have the internal gain trimpot around the middle, because I use it both as a standalone Dist and as an OD in front of the amp. Alone it's okay, but not as brutal as the revvG (based on YT-Vids). The biggest downer is the missing Mid-knob. Tosin runs an Empress ParaEQ after his BE-ODs and his tone slays...

To use it as an OD in front of an distorted amp is a bit over the top, but you can good results mainly due to the Tight-knob. That being said, it can get kinda noisy...

I'm actually thinking of dropping the BE-OD and getting the Revv...

7. Mike_R

Mike_R SS.org Regular

I haven't tried the Revv, but I did pick up the BE-OD a few weeks back. I've run it in front of my 5153 and as a preamp in the effects return or straight into my interface. I've been playing with it dialed somewhere between thrash and a modern metal tone. I haven't been really able to get it to do the 5153 red channel sound, but I also had the 5150 pedal and felt that couldn't really do the red channel either. I do like the BE-OD though. If I had a Marshall with a lot of gain I don't know that I would need it, but it does get me somewhere in the JCM/JVM ballpark but tighter for not a lot of money.

8. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Isn't the MXR 5150 just the Blue Channel? At least that's how it was marketed.

9. Mike_R

Mike_R SS.org Regular

Yes, and it was fairly close to the blue to my ears. I haven't found a pedal that sounds like the red channel on the 5153. The G3 doesn't quite get there in the demos I've heard either, but I haven't played with one in person.

10. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  11. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Thank you guys for your replies so far!
    Why do you hate my wallet, man?

@Turgon and @Mike_R
    Do you feel the BE-OD is particularily dark? The few high gain demos I saw made it seem like you need to crank the highs to get away from that "blanket over the speaker" kind of sound.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  12. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Gave up on saving money years ago xD Generally speaking if it came down to two or three products that I couldn't choose between I'd just get both or all three, then after a few months of living with them I'd sell the ones I didn't like/wasn't using. Or in the case of pedals, keep all of them and display them on a big arse bookshelf xD

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I feel Friedman tones are in fact pretty dark. Lotsa growly mid range but not a lot of high end presence.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  14. Mike_R

Mike_R SS.org Regular

I have the treble at around 1 o clock and the presence on the pedal at noon, feeding into a 5153 effects loop with the amp presence at about 3 o clock. So I guess the higher frequencies are boosted some, but it doesn't sound overly harsh or fizzy to me. Running it straight into an interface/IR I turn the presence on the pedal up to about 3 o clock.

15. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I feel like AmpTweaker or AMT might be better options if you're looking for that specific tone. The BE-OD is a really nice pedal. I always ran a slight mid boost with mine, and it turned it into a monster. Not sure it was a 5150 kinda tone though.

Gmork and kindsage like this.
  16. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

If you want chugz and br00tz i highly recommend Amptweaker and AMT.

Gmork likes this.
  17. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Chugga chugga Brootz brootz ... Kill me

18. Turgon

Turgon SS.org Regular

Yes, I have to crank the Highs and Presence pretty much to get sounds that I like. Truth be told I almost crank the treble on any distortion tone.

19. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

I did have both and compared them back to back. Both have a lot of clarity. The BE-OD definitely seems a bit more scooped sounding, so if you want some good mids, you might prefer the G3. It has a mid knob, while the BE does not. With that said, between the two, I definitely preferred the BE and sold the G3.

Kindsage recommended AMT and I quite agree. I have the R2, P2, and M2 (and the F1 is on its way). They do lack the insane clarity of the BE, but still have plenty and they all sound amazing. The P2 (and R2) through my 5150 loop is badass (only did that to try it of course). As much as I love the BE I don’t think it’ll be on my new board. The AMTs will.

20. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Clarity comes from presence which my Mosvalve 500 has PLENTY of. That said you can grab the new Amptweaker Depth Finder if you want to add a presence knob (and resonance knob) to your signal chain

Deadpool_25 likes this.