Songwriting Woes

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Rawkmann, Nov 9, 2016.

1. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

Excellent! I'm totally gonna see what I can get out of those two you posted too.

2. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Discoqueen

I understand that feeling, but foster yourself. Meaning: care for yourself and allow yourself other joys in life. The old phrase water never boils while it's being watched kinda sums up why I think it might be good for you to focus your energy somewhere else if you're feeling frustrated with your process. Don't give up, but the artist is the most significant part of the art, so tending to yourself will eventually tend to your art.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I literally have the opposite problem - it takes me way too long to write music, so periodically I force myself to sit down and write a song a day, just to finish one regardless of if it's any good or absolute crap. I've found I tend to self-censor too much, so often times when I do this some of the "crap" ideas actually turn out to be pretty decent.

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

It is rumoured that, when Pete Townshend wrote "Pinball Wizard," he immediately hated the song, and it was only released because he had promised to write a song about Pinball. The song ended up being one of the band's biggest hits.

I don't know if that's supposed to make you feel better, but it made me feel better being able to relate an otherwise totally useless and out-of-context piece of trivia. :lol:

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, he was pitching the story for Tommy to their label and just wasn't getting through to their exec - too conceptual, not rock and roll enough, whatever. So in desperation, knowing the guy loved pinball, he added, "oh, and this deaf, dumb, and blind kid, he's a pinball savant, you see..." and the guy started to perk up and eventually gave them the go ahead. He thought the song was a load of crap, but then people ate it up. :lol:

6. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

I see this thread got resurrected a bit. Well it's been a few months and since then I think the root of my problem was just being burned out on the style of music I was working on. Put the heavier stuff on the back burner for a while and have been writing more straight up rock material and I haven't felt stressed out about music since then. Thanks for the advice and encouraging words guys!