Somewhat unsatisfactory NGD

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Cyanide_Anima, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Cyanide_Anima

Cyanide_Anima BLOOOOM!

So, bought an M80M on ebay. The price was really good. Seller said the guitar was in beautiful condition, only played a few times. That could very well be the case, but there are some oddities. First, the truss rod was adjusted so much that the neck had significant backbow. The strings wouldn't even ring. I adjusted and adjusted the truss rod until I could adjust no more, and the neck was just about straight. It's almost playable now, but still noticeable fret rattle.

Other things I noticed, the nut had been replaced. There was a nut in the case with a broken screw stuck in it. Weird. The strings are also wound the wrong direction around the machine heads, except for the low B string. Odd. And two of the blocks in the bridge saddles are crack in half. Like they were tightened until they gave out. Also, the high e string isn't even in the saddle. It's off to the side along the edge of the saddle. He said he cleaned the fretboard, changed the strings, and waxed the body (huh) and that was all.

Whoever set this guitar up shouldn't be allowed to play this guitar let along do all this work to it and seemingly not notice these issues and damage to the hardware. it's all very strange to me. I guess I'm a dummy for not having asked questions about the guitar before purchasing it, although the seller may have not noticed or mentioned these things.

Is it normal for the indo m80ms to have these issues?

link to dropbox pic folder with string wind job, nut, and bridge pics (and documented unboxing. Same pics I sent to the seller voicing my issues):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jafouhn44ov8455/AAAOw0vPHNJvA1JltMDJaIuma?dl=0

Krauthammer likes this.
  2. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

Jesus. What a moron. Sorry that happened dude, you should open a case through eBay. I wouldn’t stand for that shit

3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

It seems pretty obvious that the guy didn’t have a clue about guitar setup. Try to get some money back to replace the saddles if they’re broken, and just do a real setup on it. Strings wound in the wrong direction and an over tightened truss rod isn’t a valid complaint. It’s just proof of dudes incompetence. Busted saddles, however, are a valid issue.

4. Cyanide_Anima

Cyanide_Anima BLOOOOM!

I wasn't so much complaining about the strings being wound wrong, or the truss rod thing. They were just red flags, along with the nut with a broken screw stuck in it. The truss rod thing is concerning however. It may have been set to that backward tension for an extended period of time. I don't think the neck is going to return to a slight forward bow for quite a while. The saddles, however, are what made me contact the seller and ask about the guitars history. The rest like you said, are just signs that the guy doesn't know how to change strings let alone make adjustments. Even the pickup was adjust all the way up and touching the strings. It's just strange to see the adjustments all made in the exact opposite direction a guitar needs to be playable when I started looking at it. I will definitely ask for some money back to replace the saddle blocks.

I can tell though, that these pickups and the scale length make this the most pissed off sounding guitar I've ever played. The Lundgren pickup make my JPXI-7 and Mayones guitars sound anemic. It's kind of hilarious how 'soft' they sound after playing a few chuggs with this guitar. The low end is just so tight and the upper mids and harmonics when tightly muting are so aggro.

Krauthammer and DudeManBrother like this.
  5. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

is it me or does the pics of the bridge show a lot of the finish worn off?

6. rx

rx I drink water.

Odd and quite comical at the same time. I hope you can get it sorted out soon! :)

7. Semi-pro

Semi-pro SS.org Regular

It's scary how much there are guitar owners who think that every screw needs to be tightened until you run out of strength. I once bought an RGD and later found out that it had all the hex screws stripped. When I asked the owner about the multitool that comes with the guitar the owner told me that it broke down. It should be quite a clear sign of something when you break a tool doing just a regular setup on a guitar :lol:

8. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Yeah i'm with you, too much wear for "only played a few times"

Jeeze, those pics were scary, idk how i'm gonna get to sleep tonight!

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

unless this was an Alien Queen shredding this, sweating Acid everywhere, there is no way the finish strips that quickly after 1 or 2 jams on it.
    Unless each jam lasted 4 months a time LOL

Some people are completely hopeless.

10. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick SS.org Regular

Some people just shouldn't work on things themselves. Reminds me of the countless cars and off road toys I have worked on that people have butchered. I used to take pictures of all of the dumb shit I saw. Hope you get it straitened out man. I also just bought a couple guitars off a friend. He had the strings wrapped the wrong way and let the room get too hot, so it seriously messed up the necks (not that the strings caused that, just the heat). I was not thrilled.

11. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

I can tell you that M80Ms are notorious of QC issues. Mine had electronics and frets completely redone, it was close to unusable and felt like shit to play. I kept it for a year until I contacted Thomann about the issue - they were happy to fix everything and told that the model has been particularly tricky in regards to QC. Fret and neck issues are a common problem in these.

Sad to see that someone tried to fix them by themselves, and not use the warranty.

12. Paul McAleer

Paul McAleer newborn baby

I see the finish wearing off at the screws it just has me thinking "Has anyone ever rested their palm on the screws while picking?!"

lewis likes this.
  13. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Honestly, it may be the finish worn off or it may be a reflection or something. It kind of looks like it could be a reflection from the phone taking the picture possibly. Can't say for sure until another angle is given possibly

14. Cyanide_Anima

Cyanide_Anima BLOOOOM!

Ahh, yes, what looks like wear on the bridge/saddles is just glare. They are in good shape apart from the broken blocks.

I'm still make adjustments trying to make the guitar playable. Perhaps the neck will settle in eventually. I'm just gonna get some saddle blocks and call it good. Might have the frets leveled and crowned eventually as well. I got the guitar for a good price and he packed a decent tuner/metronome and extra strings in the case so I'll just leave him be and fix up the guitar myself.

I'll think of this as a case of Hanlon's Razor.

lewis likes this.
  15. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

If you can't get any bow into the neck, sometimes bumping up the string gauge will pull enough to get acceptable relief.