Some POD X3 Questions

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Masoo2, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Well, I just placed an order for a POD X3 that I found on GC's used section.

Why did I choose the X3? Cheaper than getting POD Farm Platinum, cheaper than an HD, and a few artists that I listen to still use the X3/XT technology to this date (John Browne, Chimp Spanner, etc...)

However, I have a few questions regarding the unit (Bean)

1. How exactly does the computer connection and Gearbox work? I've only used POD Farm and never touched a dedicated unit with PC controls before.

2. How does the built in POD Farm Platinum license work? (Is it built into the device?)

3. Is the POD Farm license only for an early version, or does it upgrade to 2.5?

4. Anyone have any tips for using the Big Bottom? (Cabs, settings, etc...) I've gotten used to the L6 Treadplate and Treadplate Dual from POD Farm, but now I have the ability to use the "djentyist" of the amp selection.

5. Is there a built in pitch shifter/+1 octaver? I know that bands like TesseracT and Monuments have used the PODs to create glassy, octaved cleans, but I have never known if they tracked the octaves separately or if it was just effected from the unit.

Thanks! :shred:

2. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I can't help with most of those, but I can help with a few!

1. Back when I had a podXT, you could edit the patches in gearbox (or podfarm which replaced it) or on the unit itself. Editor is basically the same as the plugin, if thats what you're asking.

2. If its anything like the podfarm license (formerly Gearbox plugin) I have with my toneport, its linked to the device, so it only works when the unit is plugged in via USB.

3. Not sure about this. My toneport came with the Gearbox Gold plugin, which later got a free upgrade to PodFarm 1 when it came out. I never bothered to look into further updates.
    edit- just ran line6 monkey as I was curious, it installed PodFarm 2.57, but then said I didn't have a license for it. So I guess the answer is no.

4. Yes! I used a toneport with Big Bottom as my main amp for years.

I wrote this big thing a while ago when I had some spare time. Wish I could share it with myself circa 2007 and save a ton of frustration with Line 6 eq's.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4155426-post9227.html

Short version: Big Bottom's eq is pretty fucky; turn the mids to 100%, treble to 0% and don't run anything else too high. Boost+EQ is a great boost, I hate the screamer, and sometimes other random pedals will make cool boosts, such as the compressors (vetta juice and Blue Comp+treb). SM57 off axis + T75 cab along with a mild boost will get you in the ballpark for tesseract type tones.

5. I can't remember this as I never bothered with the effects too much, but I'm fairly certain there was at least one octave effect, though I thought all the pitch effects had pretty horrible tracking, tbh.

3. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

TY Man!

I remember reading that post on the POD HD thread, but I completely forgot about.

I downloaded Gearbox just to mess around with it and my UX1. If my ears aren't deceiving me I prefer it to POD Farm. Yes, I don't get as many options for routing, but the stock patches are surprisingly good.

The amps featured in the metalshop pack seem a lot more straightforward than the non-metalshop amps that I used with POD Farm (L6 Treadplate, Dual Treadplate, etc...). I had to use a few "tricks" to get them sounding decent (Very odd EQ, boost+eq, fully-cocked wah, blue comp+treb, etc...), and even then they were still not mix ready.

However, is the Big Bottom really than sensitive to the treble knob?

Keeping it on 0 seems quite odd to me (But then again, I have heard the statement that the Big Bottom's EQ is very odd before)

Also, do you have any tips on creating an ambient MonumenteracT-style clean tone?

I've seen many people use the Piezoacoustic 2 but I could never get it sounding anywhere close to that of Monuments/TesseracT, often making it break-up before getting near the perfect tone.

4. thrashmetal85

thrashmetal85 SS.org Regular

Using your X3 like this will give you spill over on delays and reverbs.

Tone 1: Gate > Volume Pedal reversed so toe up is max volume > OD of Choice* > Big Bottom, gain and volume to taste BMTP at 50% > Treadplate with 67 and no room

Tone 2: Volume Pedal toe down is max volume > OD of Choice* > Big Bottom, gain and volume to taste a little more mids, treble and presence for pick attack > Treadplate with 67 and no room > mods, delays and ambience of your choice.

5. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I don't think I ever got a metal tone I thought was usable out of a non-metalshop amp to be honest.

The treble knob is indeed pretty sensitive on the Big Bottom amp. I can see what they were going for, the treble knob on a Recto is also very sensitive and has similar characteristics, but not as exaggerated as Big Bottom. You don't need to run it at 0%, but I did. As you turn it up, it will get more aggressive sounding and 'djentier' but also fizzier, scooped and stiff sounding. Its a balance, really. Just one of those amps where you really need to eq with your ears and not your eyes.

Acle had this to say a few years back about what he used

So he didn't run treble as low as I did, but still quite low.

As for the clean tones, I can't really help much there. I tried to get a similar tone for ages but I just couldn't get it right, so I ended up giving up and going for something completely different.