Some help with interface?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by L1ght, May 11, 2012.

1. L1ght

L1ght Truth Over Triumph

Hey all, I got my new interface setup, and when I use the mixer/control panel that came with the interface I can hear the guitar extremely well, but for some reason I can't get it to work with Cubase. I have the SE 4 version I believe.

When I started it up it said this error: "Impossible to record audio because the Audio Input is not active. Open the ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Setup dialog. Make sure that a device is selected in the Input Ports section and that the checkbox is activated."

Now I have no idea what the hell all that means, but on my interface(konnekt 6), I have it set to Input on both the Input and Monitor sections.

Can anyone help me out? lol. Thanks!

2. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

Are there any other options in the ASIO, my POD UX1 is it's own asio that may be what yours could be.

You armed your tracks in cubase? (the big button next to the speaker like icon in the tracks section)

3. L1ght

L1ght Truth Over Triumph

Actually yes, the TC Near ASIO, and I have that enabled. Still no sound recording though. Like I can hear the guitar through my headphones, but then when I hit the play button in Cubase I can't hear anything. Not even through my speakers.

:/

4. L1ght

L1ght Truth Over Triumph

Okay, so I've figured some of it out. In the activity window, when I play what I recorded, it shows activity, I just can't hear what I record. Not really sure wtf is the problem. I have it set to mono and eveything and I still can't hear anything.

5. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Do you have playback in your Cubase setup correct?

6. L1ght

L1ght Truth Over Triumph

Maybe not? Could you help me with that? I have no clue how to setup anything in Cubase and their forums aren't even that helpful. I'll Google it though.

Thanks dude!

7. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I don't have cubase, but generally when you can't hear yourself it is because you don't have audio playback set for your sound card or whatever your speakers are connected to. Could be wrong there is definitely a myriad of possiblities.

It would be under preferences or settings or something like that I'm sure.

8. L1ght

L1ght Truth Over Triumph

Yeah, I used the Cubase video on youtube and figured out how to playback, but I'm still not getting anything through my headphones. :( The activity meter in Cubase shows that I am recording/playing, but I still just can't hear anything..

9. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Nothing at all even after you record? If you have more than one audio jack I suggest trying more than one. I don't think that is the problem, but my sound card went south and the front audio port had to be moved back to my MOBO to work properly. The only thing I can think of is either a driver problem or your setting aren't quite right.

10. L1ght

L1ght Truth Over Triumph

Yeah man still no sound. I also already did that, I tried putting the headphone jack into both left and right monitor output jacks, and still nothing. This is so annoying.

11. L1ght

L1ght Truth Over Triumph

So I figured it out slightly. I can now record and playback, including using the effects and impulses, etc.. but I can't hear myself playing, which I don't like at all. Can anyone help me out with that?

I'm using Reaper by the way, I ditched Cubase because it was just so fucking annoying. I also had to use the WASAPI Audio system instead of the ASIO, since I couldn't get ANY sound on the ASIO driver. Not sure why, but WASAPI works perfectly to be honest. Other then not being able to hear myself play of course.. :p

12. WhiteWalls

WhiteWalls SS.org Regular

If you can record, can playback but can't hear yourself WHILE you play, it's because you don't have live monitoring on. In reaper it's a little arrow pointing to the right on the bottom right of your track settings, where you have volume, pan etc

L1ght likes this.
  13. L1ght

L1ght Truth Over Triumph

It works! <3

Does anyone know if you can listen to a track and then record on another track at the same time? I guess that's called multitracking? Can you do that with Reaper?

14. WhiteWalls

WhiteWalls SS.org Regular

Of course, just keep what you want to listen to on one track and record on a different track

L1ght likes this.
  15. L1ght

L1ght Truth Over Triumph

Yep, I got it. Reaper is working wonders for me. Since last night I've figured out a ton of things already just by playing around with all the different buttons. This is the first time I've recorded anything, and tbh, shit is hard when you are multitracking and trying to get everything timed right and into place. Looks like I need more practice. :p

16. jon66

jon66 SS Contributor

Hence all the envy for the guys on this forum who post a ridiculously well written AND mixed track every couple days saying stuff like "just messing around" etc. lol

Keep at it man, it just takes time. We're all in the same boat.

L1ght likes this.
  17. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

^^no joke I see people saying things like did this before going to bed and i think to myself this would have taken me weeks :lol: