Some guitars are too funny not to post

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by vilk, Aug 7, 2015.

1. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards? Contributor

"ESP Horizon"
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014327&icep_item=253331626759
    ESP horizon electric guitar with Blue quilted maple top
    [​IMG]

Wolfhorsky, cwhitey2 and Edika like this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder

Nlelith, Edika and feraledge like this.
  3. feraledge

Could sell so many more guitars if companies would just step it up and include that crucial spec

M3CHK1LLA, Wolfos and Edika like this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

Daisy rock would actually be able to sell guitars to people other than elementary/middle school aged girls then lol
    [​IMG]

5. feraledge

Only if they nail the home school demographic

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  6. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

boozeislove likes this.
  7. Nlelith

Nlelith SS.org Regular

^Ultimate derp. How does something like this end up on several completed guitars is beyond me.

8. KnightBrolaire

9. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If I recall Strandberg actually did something similar with an early proto.

AxeHappy likes this.
  11. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

12. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I’ll bet you can bend the high E a semitone three or more times before it snaps at the headpiece.

13. crackout

crackout SS.org Regular

I wouldn't call this 'cheap out'.
    Firstly, a 'parallel' 24th fret does not allow for a straight bridge. This can only be achieved by setting the bridge position the parallel 'fret' (one directional fan).
    Let's assume they went for a striahgt bridge with a fan in one direction: That's actually better than the other extreme you get with stock Bodens (6 string), because you can use every pickup without having different distances between bridge saddles and pole pieces.

14. bostjan

Since there is some adjustment that can be done with most bridges on the electric guitar, any parallel fret high enough means you could use a standard bridge. Just cranky the intonation up on the bass strings and down on the treble strings...

But as I've said in so many other threads, the only thing that really matters here is comfort. If it's comfortable to play, and the guitar is functional, then who cares?

AxeHappy likes this.
  15. crackout

crackout SS.org Regular

This depends also on the delta in the scales of the fan.

16. bostjan

Two ways to look at it: 1. It depends on the throw of the intonation adjustment screws, position of the bridge, number of strings, perpendicular fret position, span of string gauges that might be used, and difference between high and low scale lengths, 2. It depends on whether it works or not and how comfortable it feels to the customer.

As a scientist, I'm interested as hell in all of these little parameters, but as a guitar player, I'm really only interested in how well it works for me in my hands.

It's like this allegory:

A little girl asks an artist why the sky is blue, and he says "Blue is a beautiful colour, it contrasts so much from the yellow sun, the red sunset, the green grass, and the white clouds, also setting itself apart from the black night sky and the gray moon, if the sky was red or green, the day wouldn't be as beautifully colourful." Dissatisfied with his answer, the little girl went to a physicist and asked the same question, and the physicist said, "Light from the Sun is white, and white light contains all of the colours you see in the rainbow, plus other invisible colours that you cannot see. The atmosphere is mostly composed of nitrogen. Nitrogen has a complex absorbtion and emission spectrum, but mostly absorbs and emits light in the blue, violet, and near infrared wavelengths, so as light from the sun strikes nitrogen atoms, red, yellow, and green light passes through the atmosphere without interaction, but infrared, blue, and violet light is absorbed by the nitrogen. The nitrogen atoms are then excited above the ground state and almost immediately emit photons with infrared, blue, and violet wavelengths. Since infrared light is not visible to your eyes, the mixture appears as a faint blue colour, because of the mixture of some blue and some violet light mixed together. This is also why the Sun appears red or orange as it nears the horizon - the oblique angle of the Sun means that light from the Sun passes through a larger span of nitrogen from the atmosphere, so more blue and violet light is absorbed and scattered, making the sunlight take the hue of the remaining unscattered light by the time it reaches the surface of the Earth. White light with blue and violet removed appears orange." The little girl responded with "But why?" As the physicist prepared to go into a lecture on the interactions between electron orbital levels in nitrogen between each other and between various wavelengths of light, citing Planck and Einstein, the artist interrupted and said "It's magic!" And the little girl lived happily ever after.

M3CHK1LLA and zappatton2 like this.
  17. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

I see a lot of threads on ss.org about "heavily modified" guitars which usually include screwing a pickguard onto a rear routed body and a pickup swap. I'm glad to see someone really try something unique. It's weird and almost works. If nothing else, it'd be a cool stage guitar for a simple song.

18. crackout

crackout SS.org Regular

Sure there are several factors to be considered. However, calling them "cheap" because they go for a one directional fan which allows for a straight bridge is just bogus. I always disliked the fan on 6 string Strandbergs, with the slantred bridge and the straight pickups.

19. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

You're actually right, they tried to cheap out but failed.

marcwormjim likes this.
  20. MoonJelly

MoonJelly brainless and deadly Contributor

Kiesel's left arm is in the picture twice. :lol: