Solo contest entry: some feedback?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Rawkmann, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

So I try my hardest not to get overly critical or put too much stock into what others think but I recently posted this video for a contest and I seem to be getting a decent bit of dislikes on it already. Just curious what people in this community might think about it and offer any advice.

scratchNdentPrestige likes this.
  2. gorthul

gorthul SS.org Regular

I liked the solo, imo very unconventional note choice over a modern metal backing track.
    Maybe some people disliked the video because of the black fingernails, but your playing is spot on. :p

Rawkmann likes this.
  3. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I just didn’t know if it was my playing, my appearance or what but I was looking at some of the other entries for this contest and I was trying to figure out why I was getting more dislikes than everyone else.

4. odibrom

odibrom .

It's a contest dude, people (or their friends) will depreciate your work so they get more points...

Your playing is super nice, super precise, however, I feel I need to comment a little deeper, also, you asked for it...:D Take note that what I don't call on to, it's spot on!
    • The tone sounds to me a little harsh, could be of my monitoring hardware, could be of your production.
    • Your phrasing could improve a little, so you get more points on individuality. I mean, your notes are too squared, they need to relax so they can expand.
    • Some of the phrases sound like someone else's. Maybe the lick patterns or combos, maybe they need a bit more phrasing.
    • Personally, I don't dig the "looks"... but I get it if it's your thing.

Rawkmann likes this.