Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by zarg, Nov 27, 2017.

1. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

To jump in on the business side here. Ola also lives in Sweden, and they're pretty good at trying to help out their people and their businesses. I'm sure there is government help to finance startups.

lewis likes this.
  2. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

What have you got against rosewood inlays?

DredFul, A-Branger and cip 123 like this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

nothing, I'd just prefer a pure Mother of Pearl fretboard just to further cement the utter tackiness of everything zakk wylde has touched.

4. TheBloodstained

TheBloodstained SS.org Regular

I was starting to get worried because I had not heard anything from Solar since I received my final order confirmation. I was kinda expecting them to e-mail me when my order would be shipped.

However, I just got a mail from UPS! Mine will arrive tomorrow! :D

I guess communications between Solar and customers could be better, but it's still a new company so I guess that there are still things that need sorting out or tweaking?

Also, it sounds like it have been a busy first week and a half for Solar ;)
    I have high hopes for this brand :wub:

5. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

Mother of Pearl is my favorite tonewood.

6. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I think it's good than someone else than LTD sells "affordable" evertune guitars.

Wolfhorsky and lewis like this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

im still yet to try Evertune.
    Ive heard that the only con is a lack of sustain but the pros speak for themselves?

Affordable models certainly help me thats for sure. These Solar's are bad ass.

8. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I had the Washburn solar 7 string with evertune for a bit, and a couple of the saddles rattled which could only mean they were taking some energy from the strings and thus reducing sustain, but I don't think you'd run into any trouble for high gain type stuff.

lewis likes this.
  9. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

They won't take more or less sustain out of the string than a Floyd/Edge vibrato. The springs have to pull with the same force as the strings, it's all in balance.

lewis likes this.
  10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

oh great to know!!!

11. AlexCorriveau

AlexCorriveau SS.org Regular

Just placed my order!

rahnvu, jmeezle and TheBloodstained like this.
  12. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

I am really interested in these. I kind of want to wait for a few opinions once people start receiving them before pulling the trigger. The V1.6 with the evertune has my name all over it.

13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Regarding Washburn, here are some of their endorsees of the past, you can't tell me you never heard of any of these:

Paul Stanley of Kiss
    Nuno from Extreme
    Dimebag Darrell Abbot
    Jennifer Batten
    Waren Haynes of Gov't Mule

In the 90's, Washburn was big. They made many if not most of the acoustic guitars played in MTv's popular "Unplugged" televised concert series. The innovated the Buzz Feiten tuning system and extended cutaways. They also had a patented electronic control that could supposedly pan between single coil and humbucker tones continuously, although I never personally tried it.

By the time Ola was involved with them, they were a throwaway company, I guess, but their legacy going back 120 years before that and standing for innovation at a fairly low cost. Piss poor management by US Music Corp, just like every other company under that umbrella (Digitech, Randall, Parker, Warwick - all companies whose products were much coveted in the 90's), has spelled their impending doom for the past decade and a half or so. Another contributing factor is lack of support from Guitar Center. Honestly, those mom and pop stores that stocked Washburn guitars were driven out of business by GC, and GC worked little with Washburn for most of that time.

mikah912 and setsuna7 like this.
  14. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

Yeah...I never had sustain issues with the evertune.

15. bostjan

The mechanical energy of the strings on the evertune, in theory, should be better contained than with a FR trem, so you should, in principle get more sustain.

So, with an evertune:
    The string vibrates.
    Some energy is transferred to the support.
    The support may act as a resonator, storing some of the vibration, which may flow back into the string attached to that support.

With a FR:
    The string vibrates.
    Some energy is transferred into the support.
    The support may act as a resonator, storing some of the vibration, which may flow into all of the strings, which are attached to the same support.

So, better sustain and less cross-talk between strings. Both pluses. Especially with an ERG. More strings = more places for vibration to dissipate with the FR.

There might be lots of interference from practical things, porous wood, friction between parts, etc., which might place more emphasis on maintenance and quality materials...but good physical principles is always a good start.

16. ZombieLloyd

ZombieLloyd Not one 7 string

I haven't had any sustain issues with mine either so far. But I've only had it for a couple of weeks.

17. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I was already purchasing guitars in the 90es and Washburn wasn't a big name, it was already associated with cheapo asian guitars and to our teenager opinion their competitors were the BC Rich and Aria pro II made to abysmal quality standards.
    Yes, there was Nuno, but 90es poor european teenagers and US models didn't go well together.

For my evertune post, it's not so much I like it, I just appreicate more options being brought to the market. I don't plan to buy a guitar anytime soon, for a change.

18. bostjan

I already made a better case than what you addressed, please try again.

19. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeh I knew someone was going to reply to my coment with that. Reason why I tried to word my post as in my own perception of the brand. What I saw, and what I experience, starting with a mate of mine buying some cheap as 6 string bass, and only seeing cheap and ugly guitars in shops. I started playing music around 1999/00

and for me Paul Stanley was always an Ibanez Iceman man, and Dime was Dean. I know they change at some point but never knew or cared.

and later on, prob by 2005-8 when I started to constantly window shop brands websites and GAS, I enver crossed Washburn site and if I did, it made a pretty bad impression. Same as going trough the mayor online stores too.

for me I never took them serious until I saw the paralaxe series thanks to Ola and that was like "oh they trying to revive the brand, thats awesome, lets see where it goes"

so yeh, maybe WAsburn was huge in the early 90's, but for me they always were that unicorn brand who no-one knows, no-one stock them, and you dont see anyone talking or playing, but you know they are out there..... so "meh"

also I have no idea about the acoustics and their world as I never owned or played one. So no idea on who are the big names, the expensive, the tradition, the old, the new, the fancy, the value, the cheap, and the knock-off of that world

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 3:45 AM
  20. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

In Portugal and in the Metal community Washburn was Dimebag and perhaps a bit of Nuno, those where the models that sold, the rest no one really cared. N2s sold really well because of their cheaper price against the super expensive N4. The Dime models were the cheap Korean ones and people bought them because of who used it, but that was it basically.

Ibanez was the major brand to go in those days, everybody who was anybody was there, Vai, Satriani, Pettruci, Gilbert, Skolnick etc. Lots of known(and unknown) metal band players were using Ibanez (Suicidal, Carcass,KOrn etc)

Ibanez totally dominated the market back then, amazing Guitars at a much more affordable prices than US imports, even the Floral Jem was cheaper (not by much) than an N4. Although Metal bands would go for the cheaper RGs550's