Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by zarg, Nov 27, 2017.

1. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

They “liked” the joke for being unfunny?

2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

You mean besides his career post-Blessed Hellride?

Strobe and cwhitey2 like this.
  3. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

Let me assist your lack of observation - nobody liked the “joke”.

But, anything for you to be a sarcastic dick, right

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

[​IMG]
    if it didn't have the ass horn to dig into my thigh and the unbelievably tacky inlays I would totally buy one of these used (provided they ever come to fruition/end up on the used market).

5. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Perfect example on why Products need Designers... So that a napkin sketch can be a simple idea to be refined and not the final product.

6. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards? Contributor

I think Zakk just has to assume that the customer provides their own leather chaps and bad taste.

Strobe and cwhitey2 like this.
  7. 70Seven

70Seven Ibanez Foerever!!!

I love the guitars, as I've said.. But these are the exact same as his Washburn signature. Did he own the design? These are the same guitars with Solar on the headstock, made in indo instead of USA and lesser SD pickups?

Were people this exited when his Washburn sig came out? Even if Ola said otherwise himself, I'm starting to believe these are Washburn guitars masked as a new company...

http://www.olaenglund.com/2013/12/13/washburn-announces-new-ola-englund-signature-series/

8. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

They were his designs... they are probably coming from the same Indo factory as the Washburns were though that is a guess. The USA Solars were only available in very limited quantities and were not around $1k... the Washburn USA shop closed quite a while ago, shortly after the Solars were introduced.

Washburn along with Randall are more or less out of business at this point.

9. 70Seven

70Seven Ibanez Foerever!!!

Ahhh... this is all news to me. Makes sense. I didn't know about Washburn and Randal doing so bad. In that case, anyone think the Randal Satan will be sold by Solar sometime soon?

10. ZombieLloyd

ZombieLloyd Not one 7 string

The Solar Satan does have a good ring to it. Maybe they'll finally bring out a production model of that 50W that Ola always uses.

11. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I owned several Washburn guitars, myself. My first electric was a MIK MG-24, and my backup seven was a MIK Washburn seven string. Just in my experience, when they moved most of their lower price lines to Indonesia, just about every Washburn I demo'd at a store was a piece of junk. That was a long time ago, so I am certain that adjustments were made since then, but my perception was that they were always a step behind Ibanez, and when they moved production, they sealed their fate.

I really do wonder, though, if this sub-brand was not successfull enough to pull Washburn, a 100+ year old company, out of financial trouble, how will it stand on its own as a unique brand? Maybe okay, since it seemed like the parent company of Randall, Washburn, etc., had some serious failures in management.

I'd love to see these take the world by storm, I'm just questioning the validity of that thought at its premise in the year 2017, when guitar-oriented music is basically in its death throes, and new brands are coming and going in all business sectors without a second thought.

lewis likes this.
  12. feraledge

Huge difference. He doesn't have their debt, their stock, and the rest of a failing line. Their company is set up on such a massively different scale that pairing down wouldn't be an option. For Ola though? He's in the perfect position. He designed a line that they barely delivered on, but got interest and attention. He's maximized that, at this point, the factories have their own credibility, so you know what quality tier you're looking at before touching one. And he can stream line the parts that work with minimal overhead and probably far fewer investors and just do the part that he likes and knows works. He would have been wasting his own work with Washburn to not do what he has done. He'll be infinitely more successful than Washburn could have been just because, at this point, the company itself was dead weight.

13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Let's hope so.

With any company, the best business managers know when it's time to cut a product line, even if it's a flagship. I thik you are correct that the parent organization missed the boat completely on that; however, having investors and debt is only a bad thing if you can't manage your funds. Not having debt means not being able to adapt capital as quickly when you need it. I think the rest of what you said is a pretty loose argument, but, since I can't predict the future, and I hope you're right, I won't bother arguing with you.

14. feraledge

@bostjan note: infinitely more successful than Washburn COULD have been

In other words, if this line was going to succeed, as long as his QC is set and he's got a good sense of how to run a business, he's in a much better position without the dead weight of Washburn as a whole. I hope he is successful, but, as we've all seen, there's more than one way to destroy a guitar company. No guarantees and we haven't seen a single NGD day yet, so I'm not trying to do a market prediction, just my assessment of the bare bones circumstances.

15. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Wasn't Ola an accountant before he started doing youtube full time?

I would imagine this would help him a lot.

cip 123 and lewis like this.
  16. Matsunaga3

Matsunaga3 SS.org Regular

Tracking has my guitar in a warehouse in Spain. Also says:
    • Additional documentation is required on the merchandise description.
    Not sure what that’s all about, hopefully it’s being handled.

17. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

That’s the exactly the same impression as mine. For me that blie one should have a neck binding. Ivoroid would be wishful thinking.

18. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

apart from things already mentioned. They (he) has the advantage of a brand new name/company. Start from 0 and create their own name in the industry. Washburn already had a "name" out there. For me I always saw that brand as the cheap stuff you see at the mom/pop shops, a brand you knew by name but you never see anything out or artist playing something, it always gave me that "beginer/cheap" feeling, mostly because of my experience with what my friends bought and showed me, and th fct I never saw anything else from them. The paralaxe and solar line was a "oh finally something cool, lets see if it helps to change the image of the company", but again it held up to my perception of the Washburn name of "I cant find them anywhere"

Now Solar as a brand would strike me as Chapman is/did. And we would see what the future holds

EDIT: Ima idiot who read that post upside down and took the wrong meaning of it :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 7:34 PM
  19. feraledge

Jesus dude, how did you possibly read what I said as a slight?!? Fucking eggshells up in here! Allow me to be crystal clear:

-Ola is doing a good thing here.

-I think he stands to excel without the dead weight of Washburn.

-I know or presume nothing about his business skills.

-It is stupid to project the fate of the brand before anyone has even played one yet.

It’s not like I’m being snarky, just stating what I think the benefits of shaking Washburn loose might be. Hype down.

A-Branger likes this.
  20. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

oh crap, my bad dude. I re-read your post again, yup it makes sense now, and I get what you were trying to say. Sorry dude, seems it too early in the morning to understand proper english for me :)

feraledge likes this.