Soccer / Football - All things here :)

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Sebastian, Mar 31, 2011.

1. C2Aye

C2Aye has the groove.

I wouldn't write off Barcelona just yet. Once they get going, they'll keep possession so well that their defence won't have to do that much. And being a Manchester United fan, I'm used to everybody and their dog writing us off, some even saying that we'd finish outside the top 4. And look what happened :D I expect Barcelona to do the same!

In other news, anybody see the state Arsenal are in? I really feel for their fans. All of a sudden, they're losing their best players and Arsene Wenger isn't reinforcing their squad (possibly due to lack of funds) where they need to most, ie, in goal and at centre back. Not to mention injuries and other unavailable players.

I know I just talked about not writing teams off, but Arsenal will do well to stay in the top 4 unless something drastic happens before the end of the transfer window. Thoughts?

And while I'm at it, maybe I'll do a prediction for the top of the Premier League from my incredibly biased position? :lol:

6th: Arsenal

Like I said, until they can bring in some new players to reinforce their squad, I think they'll struggle. Despite losing Clichy, Fabregas and the imminent departure of Nasri, they still have quality in their side with the likes of Van Persie, Walcott, Wilshere, Song and Vermaelen still kicking about. However, the rest of the squad has a lot to be desired and Van Persie often struggles with injuries and to be honest, I wouldn't trust Bendtner to tie his own laces. I do hope Arsenal prove me very wrong because they are a good side but as last season showed, they can't cope when the going gets tough and the going is tough already. We'll have to wait to see what impact Gervinho will have but really, Arsenal need centre backs!

5th: Tottenham Hotspur

Even if they do end up losing Luka Modric, I think Tottenham will be a tough team to beat. If their best players can find form and Harry Redknapp can get his hands on another striker than Tottenham should be exciting to watch this season. I can't see them breaking into the top 4 however, with the improvements that other teams are making. Still, they are a great attacking side and like I said, with another striker on the books (currently rumoured to be Adebayour, which should be a laugh seeing that he used to play for Arsenal) they should go strong this season.
    Players to watch: Rafael van der Vaart & Gareth Bale

4th: Liverpool

One of my hated teams, but I've got to admit, they're looking like they'll do well. Luis Suarez and Raul Meireles combine well at the front and they've made good signings in Henderson, Downing, Enrique and Adam. I'll say that £16 million is a lot for Jordan Henderson, but then they payed £35 million for Andy Carroll, so I'll leave the Liverpool Owners to their skewed sense of value. Regardless of prices paid, they've strengthend their squad in all the right places and look creative up front. However, I have to make some snide remark about Liverpool with me being a Manchester United fan, so I'm going to say that this is the season that Steven Gerrard loses his first team place. The team looks good enough without him!
    Players to watch - Luis Suarez & Charlie Adam

3rd: Chelsea
    They're not the powerhouse of a team that they were in the 2009/2010 season but still formidable nonetheless. Still, the players are a year older and towards the end of last season, Chelsea looked short of ideas. I also don't like how they've sacked Carlo Ancelotti after one bad season because I thought he was a very good manager and surely winning the double in his first season must have meant something! Still, if they can actually manage to sign Modric from Tottenham, they will certainly remain dangerous. Also, can the real Fernando Torres please stand up?
    Player to watch - Fernando Torres (just to see if he hits form!)

2nd: Manchester City
    Again, I hate having to give credit to teams I hate but I've got to give credit to them. All accusations of simply trying to buy silverware aside, they've assemble themselves a formidable squad with the right balance of steely grit and creativity. The purchase of Sergio Aguero looks a promising one too and he looks like he'll do very well in the Premier League. If Mancini can somehow keep Tevez on the books, then they'll have a very formidable strike force indeed! The two things that Roberto Mancini needs to sort are one, Mario Ballotelli and two, his defensive attitude. One is easy, either sell him or drop him. He has to learn his lesson somehow and despite his supposed talent, sometimes a player is just too much hassle. On the second point, it's frustrating when you have such a wealth of attacking talent yet Mancini plays Yaya Toure as an attacking midfielder, or starts Milner instead of Adam Johnson when he needs a goal. Still, at least David Silva gets a start every game!
    Player to watch - Sergio Aguero & David Silva

1st: Manchester United (of course)
    Last season, we had the worst midfield in the premier league and were a team on the decline. The Guardian predicted that we would come fifth. So...instead we ignored what everyone said and won the League by 12 points and made it to a 3rd Champions League final in 4 years, albeit getting taught a lesson in football in the latter. So what's changed this season? Well, no more Gary Neville, Edwin Van Der Sar, Paul Scholes, Owen Hargreaves, Wes Brown and John O'Shea. So what's been done about it? Sir Alex Ferguson has brought in Phil Jones, Ashely Young and David de Gea, as well as getting all his players back from loan. So far, De Gea has had a shaky start but I have faith that he will come good, being only 20 years old and younger than me! In Smalling and Jones, we seem to have the future central denfensive partnership for England as well as having a very young team indeed. The kids are looking pretty good but I don't want to get ahead of myself. I'll only do that once Chicharito is fit and scores goals left, right and centre, as well as with his face. But in all seriousness, I think Sir Alex has the know-how to get the best out of his young players and Manchester United will be the team to beat this season.
    Players to watch: Nani, Wayne Rooney, Tom Cleverly and Javier Hernandez

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. revclay

revclay SS.org Regular

Barcelona are still the best team in the world by some distance. But if they have a weakness, it's at the back.

Also, your assessment of the top 6 is looking pretty good. Arsenal are in deep trouble. More like Arsene Wenger is in deep trouble. They need some quality all over the pitch (CB, midfield to replace Fabregas and Nasri, a striker who can stay healthy), and he won't spend money on someone who has gone through puberty. Oh well. Another season without silverware for them.

And I agree on everything else. I do think that City could be a threat to win the league and Chelsea, too. AVB gets goals out of his teams and Chelsea have a solid defense. It will be a tight title race again, but I still think Man U are too strong to take down this year.

3. Nesty

Nesty SS.org Regular

This is why I love Manchester United.

4. revclay

revclay SS.org Regular

Has anyone else taken a look at the Champions League draw? Group A is going to be ridiculous, but I also think groups B, F and G have potential to be great as well. What do you all think?

5. scherzo1928

scherzo1928 has wood for you

Yep, there are going to be some incredible matches in group A. I'm just glad Barcelona didn't get any Russian teams.

6. Nesty

Nesty SS.org Regular

Most of them will most likely be shit and predictable. I hope to see City crash out although with Mancini's "park the bus" tactics it may well serve them well in Europe.

7. revclay

revclay SS.org Regular

Yea, Mancini's tactics are obnoxious, but if their last 2 games are any indication, they will be a high scoring team. We'll see if that is a blip on the radar of if Man City continue to play attacking football. Only time will tell, but that group should be a lot of fun to watch.

8. scherzo1928

scherzo1928 has wood for you

So. many. goals. today.

9. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

Yep. Arse-(NAL) got their asses handed to them by United..
    Wazza scored a hattrick all via deadball situation? Amazing!!

10. Nesty

Nesty SS.org Regular

I still can't believe the scoreline. Fantastic performance by United today and possibly the worst Arsenal performance at OT I've ever seen...

11. Sebastian

Sebastian Poland CEO / RHLC ©

8-2.. just wow...

12. C2Aye

C2Aye has the groove.

13. Sebastian

14. simulclass83

simulclass83 Yes, pancakes.

I was actually sitting hear with tears in my eyes from that video. :rofl:

15. Sebastian

OK, to resurrect this thread :lol:

The play at 2:33 was just pure awesome! and he makes it look so easy :lol: close up at 3:04

16. revclay

revclay SS.org Regular

That Juve goal was vintage Juve. It's refreshing seeing them back to competing for the top spot in Serie A.

Anyway, did anyone see the Chelsea - Arsenal game today? I only saw the 2nd half, but holy shit, Arsenal have some life in them yet. John Terry and Florent Malouda also conspired to gift Arsenal a goal, but it was a fantastic 2nd half of a great game.

17. Pengu

Pengu SS.org Regular

oh my god, just saw this thread and realized me and my mates did 2 freestyle soccer videos like, 3 years ago... :lol:

Also... Barcelona foorr thhee wiiinnn :hbang: :lol:

18. Sebastian

Nice skills....

I feel so old :(

:lol:

19. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

bit of an odd one for this board. But anyone is a fan of the EPL will definantly call me an ambitious one for this, but anyone think Newcastle can go for Europe (at the least) considering only us and Man City are unbeaten at this point in the season?
    (considering we were written off every game, and we've played Stoke (rugby football), Tott and Arsenal )

20. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    As long as Arsenal and Chelsea keep doing as bad as they are now I think Newcastle have a great chance at europe and even though I'm a Man City fan I think it's very refreshing to have Newcastle, Spurs and Liverpool doing so well right now and it's a shame that Newcastle don't get a little more respect.

After last week everyone has been talking about Arsenal making a comeback but I'm not so convinced cause despite their victory they still have the same problems within as before and once the transfer window opens I'm sure that Robin Van Persie will be headed out the door.