Soccer / Football - All things here :)

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Sebastian, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Talmaci

Talmaci SS.org Regular

Zlatan Ibrahimovic is amazing!!! Yesterday killed Saint-Etienne.

2. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Today I've seen a GREAT Italy against Holland! Very good match,Sirigu almost never touched the ball,and the guys all played very fine,with good ideas and personality against the 3rd strongest team in the world,which has never really been dangerous .Sure,they had no Robben,but we had no Pirlo,Chiellini,Rossi,and luckily Balotelli :lol: Many chances to score too...I'm really glad,hoping to see the team improving even more!

3. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

All the European leagues have started from some weeks now, and...just leaving this here :)

4. chinnybob

chinnybob SS.org Regular

More importantly, my Saturday league has finally kicked off! Had the worst pre-season imaginable, playing three, scoring none and conceding fifteen... then we went and won our first league game one-nil. Funny old game. It's great to be playing again but I've already developed a hip injury and I have to take painkillers at half time :noway:

5. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Good luck with your season and wishes for a fast recovery :)

6. bouVIP

bouVIP SS.org Regular

Champions League is back today!

Hoping for Real Madrid to be the 1st wins to win back to back!

7. HurrDurr

HurrDurr Lord of all Things

Well... What can we say about AFC's back four against BVB? Player's coming off injuries, Merte's age becoming more and more evident, and mistakes in the midfield were surely costly. Not necessarily disappointed, but wasn't at all impressed either.

8. chinnybob

chinnybob SS.org Regular

I blame the midfield more than the back four. Too many long balls out of Dortmund's defence completely bypassed our midfielders who simply don't have the pace to chase down the like of Aubameyang. The defenders didn't cover themselves in glory but they were hopelessly exposed. Passing was slack all night as well, worryingly we were misplacing passes in our own half, not just the final third. Sanchez kept losing the ball and tried to do too much as the game wore on to make up for it. Jack Wilshere had a good game in the circumstances though.

What I find strange is that even though we got dominated and absolutely deserved to lose, had Danny Welbeck buried any of his three very decent chances it might have been a different outcome.

9. HurrDurr

Agreed, Welbeck definitely had his chances, but his touch simply wasn't there.

10. JustinKarlooten

JustinKarlooten SS.org Regular

@bouVIP, No previously Real Madrid have won Champions League back to back.

11. bouVIP

bouVIP SS.org Regular

Well yes before when it wasn't called the Champions League, but I meant no team has won it in its current name and format.

12. HurrDurr

Stunning display by Welbeck starting for Arsenal yesterday against Galatasaray. Shame Szczesny saw red, but I couldn't dispute that call once I saw it from all angles.

13. chinnybob

chinnybob SS.org Regular

Definitely seems like he's settling in! Got to take it with a pinch of salt given that Galatasaray were utterly dire, but Welbeck does give us an option we haven't had for a long time with his runs off the shoulder. It gets defenders running back towards their own goal which in turn creates space for our midfielders, so hopefully it's good for players like Ozil and Sanchez.

As for the red card, by the letter of the law it's correct, and something Szczesny needs to eradicate from his game. But in all honesty I think that rule needs changing. The red card was given because Szczesny denied Yilmaz a clear goalscoring opportunity, but that was then restored with the award of the penalty. In that situation a yellow would have sufficed.

14. stuglue

stuglue SS.org Regular

Brazil v Argentina today, that fixture is never a friendly.
    Brazil will look to bounce back from the biggest humiliation in their recent history (7-0 defeat to the Germans), i honestly think that the scars of that loss will hang over them for a long time

15. HurrDurr

Anybody else catch the USA vs. Honduras and Canada vs. Colombia games?
    The US showed a huge lack of communication on the pitch, and with the boss playing a few fellows out of formation (Jones, Dempsey) it was inevitable to concede that goal. I was impressed by Jones' performance at RCB given it's not his preferred spot also I felt Mix has done a good job of replacing LD.

As for the Can vs. Col. game, I felt Colombia also showed a lack of proper communication on the field whereas Canada were simply amazing at shutting them out time and time again until James found net late in the game. Shame Canada don't have any forward bite, or else I feel the outcome would have been very different.

16. liamh

liamh Geek-chic

I hate Kun Aguero

/spursfan

17. chinnybob

chinnybob SS.org Regular

Finally got over my hip injury after nearly two months, then twenty minutes into today's game I had to go off after some moron tried to break my ankle. So frustrating. At least I have Alexis Sanchez being amazing to cheer me up!

18. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Soccer is a game of poetry

19. Tang

Tang Master of Chihuahuas

ARSENAL SUPPORTER BUMPING!

How about that Welbeck goal to beat Man U yesterday?! HOLY SHIT! So hyped.

[​IMG]

20. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I'm sorry.
    EAT THAT MOURINHO. Serves you right for pushing dirty tactics. A good 10 vs 12 qualification.

[​IMG]