Soccer / Football - All things here :)

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Sebastian, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Centrix

Centrix SS.org Regular

Ah, yes!

Watch out for Liverpool's most recent signing. Markovic is absolutely brilliant. I was very sad that he left Benfica but at least he went to my favourite English club. Let's see how it turns out :yesway:

2. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I played in school, but haven't played in years. I still have family that plays regularly, so I should probably get off my ass do something to get back in shape, but you know how that goes. :fawk: :cool:

3. HurrDurr

HurrDurr Lord of all Things

I used to play almost three times a week as a cardio routine, but I dislocated my clavicle almost a year ago playing as a goalkeeper (which I have no idea how to play. I've always favored the CB/RB position) and I haven't really been able to play the same since. Recently though, my arm has been feeling a lot better, so I'm itching to get back out there and play again. Unfortunately, I'm ridiculously out of shape given my loss of willingness to get out there and continue exercising after the injury.

4. chinnybob

chinnybob SS.org Regular

That sucks, I never volunteer when we're short a keeper! I tore my lateral collateral ligament (which frankly I'd never heard of) four years ago when me and another guy both kicked the ball at the same time :facepalm: I figured it was nothing, but about a month later I got up to leave a lecture and my leg just gave way, decided I should see a physio at that point! Took nearly a year to get past that one... but I've been on a upward curve in terms of fitness ever since then!

A team I played for whilst doing an internship a couple of years back has agreed to trial me in pre-season, but only because they're in desperate need of some wheels on the flanks. Need to impress them as I didn't post very good numbers in the one season I was there, twenty three games played, three goals (plus one ridiculously disallowed), eight assists, one spectacular own goal and dropped for the last five games...

Only a couple of weeks to go!

5. bouVIP

bouVIP SS.org Regular

So James Rodriguez to Real Madrid... A bit unnecessary and expensive but I'm excited to see him play this season!!

6. chinnybob

chinnybob SS.org Regular

This makes me question Real's scouts a little bit. Rodriguez was hardly an unknown quantity going into the World Cup, we all knew how good he was and Monaco paid a massive fee for him. Madrid signed Isco a couple of weeks later, also for a substantial amount of cash, and presumably Rodriguez will push him further down the pecking order. Why didn't they just get James a year ago and save themselves a whole heap of money?? The only two things I can think of are that either Real didn't think he had proven himself at the highest level yet, or that he just wasn't a big enough name at the time...

7. HurrDurr

Lampard officially an NYFC player! Xabi of Barcelona was also a reported target of the club, but just extended his contract recently. I'm excited to see top players coming out from the European leagues and into the MLS. The dawn of MLS 3.0 will soon be upon us!

8. chinnybob

chinnybob SS.org Regular

Arsenal have signed two players in two days!

I must say, our new transfer policy of spending good money on very good players is all very alien, but I like it.

9. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

Arsenal is building up a good squad this season. I think they have a chance to win the league this year.

Although it looks like Vermaelen is possibly coming to my club in Manchester. It must be odd sending your captains North. Ha. :lol: But now that Liverpool is also trying to sign him, this could drive up his transfer fee. So that's another bonus for the Gunners - especially because he seemed surplus to needs last season.

10. chinnybob

chinnybob SS.org Regular

Even though it's probably the right thing for him, I'd be sorry to see him go, he's a good player, and just because he doesn't get a whole lot of game time doesn't make him surplus to requirements. If anything I'd say only having three first team centre halves last season was taking a big risk. I'd want four in the squad at any one time. If he does go I can see us going into the market for one more defender, wouldn't want both him and Jenkinson moving on.

11. 777timesgod

777timesgod SS.org Regular

Heard that Man. UTD coach placed cameras all over the training pitch in order to check on the players. Should we expect a youtube channel with training bloopers of Wayne?

12. Centrix

Centrix SS.org Regular

Benfica was completely humiliated at the Emirates Cup. I feel so ashamed right now...

13. HurrDurr

Agreed, but I wouldn't mind if we found replacements for both in any case. I've never been at all impressed by Jenk's playing. :shrug:

14. chinnybob

chinnybob SS.org Regular

We'd still need another body if Vermaelen left, but I've been impressed by Calum Chambers, and I wonder if he could provide cover for both right back and centre back, given that he wouldn't be first choice in either position. I remember seeing him last season when Clyne got injured and thinking I'd like to see him at Arsenal.

I'm a big fan of Jenkinson. He's a bit raw but he's athletic and has an excellent cross on him. Plus we know he'll run through a brick wall for the shirt. A loan is good for him, and it's definitely not the end of his Arsenal career if Chambers does end up being a centre half.

Thought we were excellent on Saturday, all the fringe players did themselves proud. Passing was quick and dynamic, clever movement, and players willing to run at opponents, Campbell and Bellerin especially impressive. Pleased for Sanogo too, thought his positional play in the box was outstanding.

As good as we were against Benfica we were awful against Monaco though. Probably down to a lack of fitness but the imagination and verve of the previous game was completely gone. Giroud was too static and his touch deserted him, trying too many tricks and flicks. Arteta and Wilshere were disappointing, didn't move the ball quickly enough and Wilshere seems to have actually lost pace over the last few years, he used to be able to burst past people and doesn't seem to do it any more. Very impressed with Debuchy, looks very composed. The Ox gave us some much needed pace when he came on and Alexis is just special, great in the air for such a small guy and he's completely unpredictable. Actually looked best when going through the middle which bodes well because Wenger's comments suggest Giroud won't be starting the season...

15. HurrDurr

Giroud, although I love him as a fan, just hasn't shown much in recent games. Not enough to start, that's for sure. I'll agree also to Jenk's athleticism; his size and ball skills are great, but his 'raw/rough-around-the-edges' playing irritates me from time to time. I just expect a bit more of him every time he hits the field. Sanogo's positioning definitely looks to have improved from what I've heard of Saturday's match. Last time I saw him play, he was as static as a CB and I've always detested the idea of a spoon-fed striker. That style doesn't cut it in top-league/top-cup competition. Wenger's made comments as to Jack's dipping fitness levels, so hopefully that's motive for improvement on his end. Wilshere can be as devastating a threat as Ramsey on a good day, and we both know how lovely that can be! As for Arteta... I like him, but maybe it's the chemistry between Cazorla being Spanish teammates as I've always felt they Arteta plays his best with him on the field beside him as other times I feel he holds the fort but never gets too creative or exemplary. As opposed to Cazorla who's always a pleasure to watch as per his output on the field always seems to be at 110%. I wasn't able to catch the Monaco game on account of helping a family member move, but from what I've been told the match sounds to have been a good, competitive bout.

16. chinnybob

chinnybob SS.org Regular

I'm a massive Giroud fan. I really think he's integral to our style in the way he gets involved in the build up and feeds runners from midfield. If Alexis is going to play up front he needs to replicate that, which I think he can.

Frankly I think time is running out for Wilshere, to the extent that this season may well be make or break for him. He's not making enough progress and there's more competition for places in the midfield than ever, although I think after another couple of seasons we'll see the end of Arteta, Rosicky and Flamini, so there's an opportunity there.

I find Cazorla quite a frustrating player sometimes. He has so much ability and his two-footedness is unbelievable, so I'd like to see a bit more end product. There was talk of him leaving but he's too important to Wenger's favoured setup of a flying left back paired with a left winger who will come inside to allow the overlap, and a more conservative right back with a right winger who has an absolute set of wheels. Maybe his set up on the left is reminiscent of the Cole/Pires duo. It leaves us quite a nice plan B though, because we have enough depth now with Alexis coming in to switch to a classic 4-4-2 with more pace on the flanks.

17. HurrDurr

Wilshere will definitely stay, if he gets his form back. There is surely a great deal of competition at Arsenal for midfield spots. As for Cazorla, I love him as a player and I also genuinely believe he's much too integral to our ball movement and control in the midfield to let him go. I'm definitely excited to see how Alexis and Cazorla will play in the league this coming season!

18. HurrDurr

Had a blast yesterday at the Guinness International Champions Cup finals here in Miami last night. Closest to an official live Premier League match as I'll ever get, and It was loads of fun to see Rooney play and watch The Reds get crushed! :)fawk:)

19. HurrDurr

Anybody else catch the MLS All-Star game against Bayern?

20. chinnybob

chinnybob SS.org Regular

Deep down I know we were right not to re-sign Cesc Fabregas, but that assist last night was like seeing an ex-girlfriend with a richer, better looking, more successful new guy.

It hurt. Right in the feelings.