So what's the like etiquette on here?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by ihunda, Jun 30, 2013.

1. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I don't know. If someone is deep in the red I probably wouldn't do business with them. Kind of hard to trust someone with a poor reputation. The worse the reputation, itrader or rep, the more likely they may bolt if things go south.

2. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

This

3. Yo_Wattup

Yo_Wattup Kick the Butterfly

OP, this is bad etiquette.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(this smily :lol: :lol: is good etiquette)

:lol:

4. Yo_Wattup

Yo_Wattup Kick the Butterfly

5. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Okay, time for the entire explanation. Hold onto your butts.

First things first. The "Like" system and "Feedback" system have absolutely no connection to the Reputation system. Likes are akin to liking something on Facebook. The Feedback system is purely for buying, trading & selling, it has absolutely nothing to do with posting.

"Thanks," however, ARE connected to rep. If you go into your user panel where you see your Reputation, in the top right corner, you'll see a numerical score (mine is about 9500). If you see an entry saying "Thanked Post," that means someone "thanked" a thread that you created (only the first post in any thread can be thanked in this way). Every "Thanked Post" entry you receive adds a flat +5 points to your reputation.

As you're aware, that's not the only way to give reputation. Every post also has a little scale icon under it. Clicking on that icon will allow you to pos-rep or neg-rep someone, and leave an accompanying message. If you rep someone this way, the amount of reputation they gain (or lose, as the case might be) depends on the amount of reputation points you have. For example, when I +rep someone, they gain 28 points. As the number of rep points I have increases, so too does the amount of points I'm able to give when I +rep someone.

Interesting sidenote, I believe that you can "Thank" a post after +repping via the Scales icon, but you can't do it the other way around.

The size of your rep bar is calculated based on the number of rep points you have, each bar representing a certain tier. Each dark green bar represents a tier of 500 points, while each light green bar represents a tier of 1500 points. I think each gold bar represents a tier in the neighborhood of 8-12k points (edit: confirmed that gold rep bar tiers are worth 10k points apiece). A visual representation:

1 - 500 points: [​IMG]
    1001 - 1500 points: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    2501 - 3000 points: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    3001 - 4500 points: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    4501 - 6000 points: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

...And so forth.

As far as etiquette goes, it really does depend on the people involved. I wouldn't really expect someone asking something like "What pickups should I use for djent?" to be particularly interested in being a part of the community, because if they were, they'd know that those questions have already been answered ad nauseam. As such, they likely won't be interested in participating in the like/rep process, or even aware it exists.

For myself, if I read something that makes me giggle, I'll like it. If it gets a hearty laugh or is helpful in some way (or, in some cases, is an opinion that I agree strongly with), I'll +rep it. If it's someone that I find particularly insightful that gives me a new perspective on something, I'll do both.

I generally only neg-rep when someone is acting like a jackass.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  6. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

This thread and threads like it pop up on a biweekly basis since the like system was implemented... I feel like a simple search would turn up any bit of information we might re-regurgitate here...

7. Xaios

While that's true, there's also a lot of incorrect information floating around regarding the rep system, like system and relationship thereof, some of it in this very thread. It's not that people are willfully ignorant about it, it's just that the system is fairly nebulous and opaque, so people get the wrong impression and make incorrect assumptions. As I've taken the time to figure the whole thing out (because that's just the kind of obsessive thing I would do :lol:), I'm always happy to explain it.

8. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Well that explanation of yours is the only new information I've seena bout this stuff in a while and it was actually quite helpful. I feel like we could lock this bad boy and delete everything but your post and the OP then sticky this biotch... :lol:

9. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Was there a thread or tutorial somewhere where you figured it out or was it through observation?

10. Idontpersonally

Idontpersonally Banned

Yea i hear you, well that was one of my concerns, theres a business side of things where personally, im only interested in the gear or business in that sense, not who approves or disapproves their opinions/post. When i see red i read most of the comments and theyre are just either misunderstandings, poor humor or matters of different opinions. I dont think these things should correlate with business,but like you said when they do, its more likely that you will think that person is unreliable/trustworthy etc. Meh.. i guess rightfully so lol, but on the other hand my whole issue is ie someone post a classifed im interested in, if i have 10 negs for meme fails the guys not going to want to hire me, but is that fair? :scratch: Does it mean im a lazy shady sneeky stealing scamming bastard? lol no, but it can look that way.

Some things, are just internet things which i like to keep separate from business,personal things, here they all seem to happen in one place, when really my netiquette 'persona' and irl etiquette are very different. Maybe they shouldnt be, *shrug", idk ive never used a rep system before coming here..Let a lone trading though, Honestly there are some great bands here, and when i see they have negs it doesnt change how i feel about the music, i may even like them better especially if they have poor humor like myself, but as far as me posting my own music with even one or 2 negs for w/e reason i dont think i could do it. Kind of spoils it for me, but yea when you see red its hard not to think '"hmm better stay away from this jerk!"... I still check out all their music though and if its good Id still buy it. Idk if id trade with anyone i didnt already have a good relationship with though whether they had pos or neg reps.

11. Xaios

Long-term observation. When Chris ran the place, he pretty much kept the values a secret, and adjusted them periodically as well, just to screw with people. Also, because people gave rep FAR more liberally back then, people were gaining it at a ridiculous pace, he had the change the weighting just to keep up.

Pre-actually-posting-this-post-EDIT: Before I hit post, I did some searching around, and found this: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/site-news-support/60906-another-rep-adjustment.html

So, it turns out Gold rep bar tiers are 10k. You'd earn your first gold bar at 12k rep, then your second at 22k rep (assuming Alex hasn't adjusted it, but everything else seems to be still true, so that probably is as well). That appears to have been the last adjustment made before Chris sold the site.

flint757 likes this.
  12. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

Thanks @Xaios, can't believe how clear your post is!

13. Xaios

Hey, not a problem. Some other notes about the whole thing:

- The amount you neg-rep someone is equal to the amount you pos-rep them, divided by two. When I currently pos-rep someone, they gain 28 points. If I were to neg-rep them, they'd lose 14. I'm not sure how it's rounded if your +rep is an odd number of points, as I don't neg-rep people that often.

- Someone who is just starting out or is into negative rep points territory due to getting neg-repped won't be able to have any meaningful impact on your rep. If they rep you, be it pos-rep or neg-rep, it'll show up as a grey box instead of a green or red box on the list of reps you've received.

- Your "Thanked" total on the left side of each of your posts under your avatar is a count of how many threads you've created where at least one person has clicked :yesway: icon under your OP. While a thread can be thanked multiple times by multiple people, each thread will only add once to your "Thanked" total. If the number of threads where someone has thanked your OP happens to be 1, it will instead be represented as "Y / X" where X is the number of threads thanked (only 1 in this case) and where Y is the number of thanks that thread has received. Otherwise, it will only keep track of X.

- Contributors and MVPs can disable and enable Reputation at will. If someone has disabled rep, instead of red or green boxes with black borders, they'll have a single black box with a grey border under their name. They also won't have the little Scales icon on each of their posts.

matt397 and TheShreddinHand like this.
  14. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

How do you do this? People have been writing nasty things towards me lately :lol: :flame:

15. Bigfan

Bigfan sixstringer

I have ~2000 posts and I've liked ~17000 posts. Judge that how you like. At least I live up to my name I guess :lol:

matt397 and Xaios like this.
  16. Xaios

Hunh, you know, suddenly I can't seem to find the setting in the user panel. :scratch:

Shoot Alex a PM, he can probably figure it out.

[​IMG]

Bigfan likes this.
  17. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

i neg rep'd a mod once cause he neg rep'd for a pretty lame reason...

...i got to spend a week off lol.

ps. pls give me some pos rep to off-set it

lol j/k!

no really!

:agreed:

:wavey:

Chuck likes this.
  18. Bigfan

Bigfan sixstringer

I might have a problem :lol:

19. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

sent :yesway:

20. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Anyone know if there's a way to disable notifications on likes? Me being the sharp-witted guy I am and all, and people being 'like-happy' on here can make for a very long day; especially when older posts can get liked as well. My normal routine is: click on thread, go to next page - oh new notification, better clear it - back to thread, new page, oh another notification? then rinse and repeat that half a dozen times throughout the day.

Part of this is obviously tongue-in-cheek but the overall message is that those notifications are fucking annoying