So what's the like etiquette on here?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by ihunda, Jun 30, 2013.

1. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

So I've seen one liner threads looking like 'what pickups should I use for djent?' answered by incredibly well documented and accurate 10 paragraph replies without a like from OP or a single like for that matter.

So when are we supposed to use like?
    Is it fine to like every single answer to your own NGD thread?

Last, is it OK to down rep a poster who doesn't even read the answers to his cry for help?

Discussion in 3, 2 , 1 ....

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Its OK to like anything and everything. I've seen some people like way too much stuff. And people tend to treat the neg rep as a dislike button for anything that even slightly doesn't tickle their fancy... But I think this is not a very good use. I tend to only use it for posts that make reference to me in someway that I find offensive (people who like djent are such and such) but mainly for threads that shouldn't really be threads (7 strings gitars r 4 lazy people). Honestly I don't use the neg half as much as most people and I believe the correct use is for the purposeful spreading of false information, but like if its a honest mistake I still don't think it warrants it. I once neg repped someone for posting 10 pages into a thread saying something that we already talked about and disproved/decided we weren't going to talk about.

I guess what I'm trying to say is only negrep when youre so mad that you want to call someone a d-bag but can't because they will ban you like so ....ing fast.

3. ferret

ferret Not worthy

Like has no affect on Rep. It's more akin to a Facebook like, just a "I read this and liked it."

If you actually want to rep a person for their reply, you have to click the little "Scales" icon under their profile on the left hand side. Repping them will appear on their profile screen, but will not be shown anywhere on the post itself.

"Thanking" a thread appears to count as a kind of combined "rep/like". It's visible on the OP of the thread, and also gives rep. It does not count towards "Likes given/recieved", but has it's own counter, which you can see on the left hand side just below "Posts" and the rep bar.

danresn likes this.
  4. Idontpersonally

Idontpersonally Banned

I think etiquette is up to the individual. For every person that negs something theres another person who may like the same comment, so you can get negged and counter negged for the same post which i think is a little silly *shrug*. This is one of the reasons i dont rep anymore, even it's its a direct reference to me. For some its a part time job, or abuse it for fun, others use it responsibly. I dont care what peoples opinions are but its funny you mentioned people not taking advice, thats probably the only thing that bugs the crap out of me, or when they answer their own question and everyone tells them the same thing and still don take the advice...but negging that is like uhm, ok do i get paid to moderate this persons post? no? then im not negging.. lol i have an actual job

5. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

So I liked all the answers so far :yesway:

Oh, I forgot about the rep system, another topic all by itself.
    So we have "like", "thanks" and "rep" models with non obvious interactions between them and different ways to showcase ranking. :realmad:

Yep that drives me crazy as well, I forgot about neg rep, it's a great opportunity to use it.

6. ferret

ferret Not worthy

To throw another wrench at you, the "Feedback Score" thing to the left is yet another system, the iTrader feedback system used for purchases/trades/sells/etc. Kinda like Ebay feedback. Completely unrelated to rep, likes, or thanks.

7. Idontpersonally

Idontpersonally Banned

yea, this^. I really think thats the only system that should matter in terms of rep, just makes more sense imo

8. User Name

User Name Banned

i dont know what the etiquette is, i dont like posts very often. however i usually get a like when someone agrees with me, or if something i say is funny. if someone REALLY agrees with me or if something is REALLY funny then i get some pos rep.

9. Randyrhoads123

Randyrhoads123 Got a 7

Don't endorse piracy ever, they'll ban your ass pretty quick. Short and long replies are pretty standard, but good and well thought out replies are the best regardless of length. I've personally never rep'd anyone pos or neg. I like things pretty often though, whether it be a good and helpful reply or something that's funny.

10. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

skeels likes this

11. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I find myself liking a lot of posts but I will only rep if its pure awesome.

Edit: I also like most posts in my NGDs just to encourage people to ask me questions or start a dialog. Since that's why I'm doing a NGD in the first place.

12. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

"Likes" do contribute to your rep bars. But I don't know in what way.
    I'm of the opinion that likes should be for stuff you agree with, but rep is for stuff you're thankful the person posted.
    And I think neg rep should be signed. Mainly because I like to know if I offended someone so I can PM them and apologize, since I never really try to make someone feel bad. (I get a lot of my neg rep from being snarky.)

That said, I think the most important thing is to realize....that none of it actually matters. :lol:

EDIT: OP, no one's going to like your post or give you any pos rep here because it would feel too weird. Like, when your GF says, "How come you never buy me flowers?" you can't really buy her flowers for at least 2 weeks without it looking like it was just in response.

13. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Like it? "Like" it. :yesway:

14. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

learned that one the hard way when i first signed up:lol:

15. Yo_Wattup

Yo_Wattup Kick the Butterfly

Im pretty sure they dont. Thing with rep is, if someone with high pos rep negs or pos's you, then it kind of 'weighs' more than usual.

For example... a mod with a massive green bar pos reps you... and 3 guys with little to no green bars neg reps you, youll still come away with pos rep.

Thats my understanding of the system anyway

16. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Learned something today about the rep system, which I obviously never bothered to read how it works. I thought rep was given with the thanked button. 3 years here and now I found out about it :(.

I usually like funny posts and opinions I agree with and thank NGD's and thought I reped but actually thanked posts I thought really awesome. I have never neg reped somebody here. If I don't agree with someone's posts and opinions I just don't bother with them. If they get too offensive or aggressive I would report them to the moderators but usually they are already banned before I get to read all the drama that has gone on.

17. ferret

ferret Not worthy

Thanked posts do give positive rep. They will appear in the rep sections of your profile, same as when someone reps your post.

18. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

19. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

^ Hey, we're just getting started, don't post the animated lock monster yet!

20. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

i like anything i agree with or find humorous.

i rep ngd, nad, etc if i really like them.

note: if you are gonna leave neg rep...be man/woman enough to leave your name butthole!

thrsher likes this.