So, what do you guys think of Blackouts?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Science_Penguin, Dec 26, 2017.

1. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I have a clip that I recorded with the neck in the bridge only. But TBH the preset I used on BIAS was really basic and shitty. I have other presets on there that would make it sound way better/ thicker. It's just a basic guitar clip, no drums or anything.

https://soundcloud.com/user-917007903/emty-neck-in-bridge-high-gain

lewis likes this.
  2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

tbf I think that does sound decent.

3. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Cool, it could def sound better. I might re record something later.

4. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

Yeah...I always desolder the tone knob.
    Not sure if it actually enhances the sound noticeable but at least I don't have to check everytime that it is cranked before I play.

I always hated when I finally nailed a part perfectly only to realize that the tone knob was accidentally at 80%.

lewis likes this.
  5. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I must be the only one who uses the tone knob on my guitars. Backed off slightly, they give this really grunty hard sound.

6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I use EMGs, but backing off the tone to about 8-8.5 is great.

7. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

When I do that with Black Winters, it takes away the very top high end but retains the cut and girth. God I love that sound.

8. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I find what I have heard of the Jeff Loomis active set interesting.

9. Decipher

Decipher Ibanez Enthusiast

I've been using the SD Blackouts since they came out in '06 (?).... I absolutely love them. Having been an EMG user for many years prior to I found the change to be a no-brainer for me anyways. They do have a perceived excess of output to them but that also comes down to one's setup to manage. For example on my Rivera KR100 I have a Low sensitivity input that I use which has more headroom than the High input so I don't have any issues getting cleans out of them. They're nice and meaty. I tried the EMTY's but did not care for them personally but that also may equate to that I'm also not a big fan of the EMG 81 which I found them to be similar to in their tightness. I always used the 85's in the past. The Retribution is an incredible Blackout pickup. And I recently got a set of the Jeff Loomis pickups and they're also very awesome. Very thick, great chug to them with PM's but have a unique strat-quack to the attack in the higher register. They also respond to picking techniques differently which is very cool too. Very happy with them.

lewis likes this.
  10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

as a duncan fan, do you have any experience with the "Duality" open coil active they have? and if we will ever see a 7 string set?.!

11. mrfluffykinz

mrfluffykinz Schecter's Little Bitch

I have the Duncan Designed version of the Blackouts, the HB105 in my Schecter Demon, and I like a lot more than the EMG 81. It's a lot harsher and more responsive. Still prefer the EMG 57 though.

12. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

so the original Blackouts are slightly thicker than the EMTY's? I have never used the originals,but what from you describe I would like to try them. My Schecter is naturally pretty bright, and the EMTY's in it make it even brighter I think. They're not bad pickups at all with the correct height. I found they sound the best when they're pretty low, if they're high they just sound too over saturated and fizzy and hard to control.

lewis likes this.
  13. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

EMTYs seem to be very sensitive to pickup height. But once they are set, it is a wonderful thing.

14. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Yeah they're very nice when the height is set well. They're not bad for cleans either.

lewis likes this.
  15. purplebelt155

purplebelt155 "nothing to see here."

I have a friend who builds his guitars and he loves SD blackouts. Honestly after everything gets pushed through the amp and pedals, I myself cant really tell a difference in PUPS. but I'm slightly deaf so yeah... there's that.

lewis likes this.
  16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

im seriously tempted to go EMTY phase 1 in white for my Jackson Slatt slime green to replace the god awful stock Nazgul/Sentient.

Its not that they are necassarily bad pickups, but in that guitar specifically they sound absolutely terrible. Like on par with the Lace deathbucker bad imo. Compressed, nasally and fizzy garbage.

Its a BRIGHT sounding guitar as is.

17. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

I may have been too wordy in a previous post, so I will sum it up. They are great sounding pickups. They have some advantages over EMGs in dynamics (and don't feel like they need the 18V mod). They sound better than EMG's clean. All the common muddyness complaints can be EQ'd out in most guitars - with the possible exception of already dark sounding guitars. They worked well in my bright maple neck through / alder wings guitar.

I stopped using them specifically because I use multiple guitars, not all of them are blackouts, and I have to EQ everything so differently for the blackouts that it became a pain. The output is way higher than my other pickups, and they are way bassier. I can keep the same settings with Fishman or EMG and go back to passives and have a good usable tone without tweaking everything. Not really the case with the blackouts. They don't sound bad, they were just inconvenient for me.

18. Decipher

Decipher Ibanez Enthusiast

I'd say the originals have a slightly thicker/bigger bottom than the EMTY's but the EMTY's have a much more surgical tightness to the low end as they were designed for. Kinda like an EMG 85 vs. an 81. The EMTY's high end I also felt was a tad smoother than the originals (not saying that the originals are really scratchy or piercing). I remember the EMTY neck being really quite wonderful. Liked it a bit better than the original neck.
    Unfortunately I do not. The description of the pickups to me are too vague so I didn't want to give them a try. Another reason being, I REALLY love covered pickups. Not a fan of pole pieces, not sure why they bug me but they do haha.

Zoobiedood, elkoki and lewis like this.
  19. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Maybe the combination of a regular BO with an Emty neck would be a nice fit for my guitar. But then again maybe the EMTY is fine in there. If I can find a cheap used BO 7 i'll give it a shot to compare them.

Here's an EMTY bridge clip I recorded https://soundcloud.com/user-917007903/emty-bridge. guitar only no processing

Differen't guitar settings than the neck clip I did, so comparing them isn't really fair. I would need to record both with the same settings

Zoobiedood likes this.