So, what do you guys think of Blackouts?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Science_Penguin, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I think the novelty wore off these pickups. When there were only EMG's these were refreshing enough and as close to passive as you could get in an active format. A lot of guitars started appearing with them and a lot of people replaced their EMG's with them.
    Then slowly and with the rise of djent and Bareknuckle pickups they were suddenly muddy trash or the people that were tuning really really low finally understood their limitations. Also when Blackouts came out it was all about super output pickups in metal that destroyed the world. And these delivered.
    I've gotten tge meatiest tones out of the Blackouts and they made E standard sound like what you'd expect from lower tuned guitars.
    As an example the Nazgul up until recently was one of the highly regarded pickups and there have been a lot of people lately that hate them with passion.

2. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I think the novelty wore off these pickups. When there were only EMG's these were refreshing enough and as close to passive as you could get in an active format. A lot of guitars started appearing with them and a lot of people replaced their EMG's with them.
    Then slowly and with the rise of djent and Bareknuckle pickups they were suddenly muddy trash or the people that were tuning really really low finally understood their limitations. Also when Blackouts came out it was all about super output pickups in metal that destroyed the world. And these delivered.
    I've gotten the meatiest tones out of the Blackouts and they made E standard sound like what you'd expect from lower tuned guitars.
    As an example the Nazgul up until recently was one of the highly regarded pickups and there have been a lot of people lately that hate them with passion.

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I checked out a tonne of youtube demos today and the Blackout 1s sounded way twangier and tighter than the other passive duncan offerings and the EMTY versions.?
    From the descriptions in here i expected boomy mush but the demos suggest the opposite which is weird.
    It was all the Keith Merrow duncan comparison vids (6,7 and 8s)
    The emtys defo seemed to have more mids and be darker. Odd that other peopls experiences seem to be the opposite?

4. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

This comes off as pretentious, but I also feel like people don't "know" what good tone is to themselves. People are bombarded with buzzwords and signature stuff and buy in to it thinking that's the missing link to their playing or tone or whatever.

I cringe every time I hear someone come out with a new pickup and describe it as "really dynamic, you can really hear all the strings in these BIG CHORDS I love to play" Basically what Misha said about both his BKP models, Jake said this about the Titans, Tosin said this about the Fishmans, Keith Merrow talks about it with whichever SDs he used before Fishman.

Every component of someone's signal chain being a signature item designed to forge a certain tone is depressing to me. Even more depressing is when people recommend random signature shit without having ever tried it, or knowing what they're doing.

Edika, couverdure and Curt like this.
  5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

There's also the fact that the amp/rig/gizmo that's amplifying and shaping your tone makes a much bigger impact on your overall tone than pickups do. I mean, pickups have never been something that "makes or breaks" my tone, provided I'm using pickups that are in the right ballpark for what I'm trying to achieve. I have my preferences, sure, but ultimately it doesn't make that big of a difference in a live setting or on a quad-tracked recording.

I could put my Blackouts back in my Schecter and still be happy with them in a recording/live setting. My preference for other pickups really comes down to what I want to hear, subtly, while practicing and playing for fun.

Paul McAleer and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder

Nazgul was never a bad pickup, it just has a very specific sound and is picky about the guitars it's in. That's the same problem with the juggernauts or the lace xbars, they don't play nice with every setup or guitar.

7. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I thought I sounded just like the Acacia Strain on Wormwood, which I personally really like even though I've heard a lot of criticism about the guitar tone on that album.

Lol I wonder if they weren't using EMGs :lol:

Dont listen to me I don't know!

8. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I have no experience with the Nazgul personally and I'm just going by seeing what other people said and how the pickup was hyped. It makes total sense that it will work with some guitars and not with others. I've seen that with a few pickups myself. But you got to admit that when it first came out everyone was getting it and was saying how great it sounded. There were maybe a handful of people that saw the pickup objectively and didn't like it in their guitar and they were drowned by the voices praising it. I also haven't seen too many used for sale which means people still like them. However with a newer generation of pickups and pickups providing different tonal soundscapes their novelty starts to wear off and suddenly it's not that great. The same with the Lace xbars and Juggernauts. Everyone was singing praises for them and they were super hyped. Xbars are considered a hifi but super shrill and Juggernauts quacky.

9. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I have my Blackout in a C# tuned guitar and it sounds more than decent. But it has a floyd and it's a fairly bright guitar so it works. It once had an Invader set. Yes, it can have too much bass at this low of a tuning, but nothing that cant be remedied by turning down the bass on my 6505.

I however have it far away from the strings and flush to the pickup rings to mitigate all that gain. But yes, It sounds its best when it was at D or Eb.

10. Curt

Curt SS.org Regular

This is more true than it is pretentious, though. I certainly used to fall victim to such a thing, when it came down to pickups, I had been more or less just okay with the stock pickups in my ibanez, but I wanted something more from them. I didn't even know what exactly. So I replaced it with the SD Nazgul on the recommendation of someone from some guitar group I'm in on facebook. The more I recorded clips and thought "no, I don't like this at all" and went back to tweak my amp tone, it began to dawn on me. I wanted kind of warmer, smoother highs, something less jangly sounding for both mid-gain, a kind of neutral midrange that isn't too scooped or too quacky that lets the amp character shine through more, and tight low end without sounding too thin. Still trying to find the pickup that does that for me in just the right way.

11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i never understand this though. The whole muddy trash part.
    EMGs and Blackout AHB-1s have lots of treble and almost a slightly scooped mid (especially the latter) so I dont know how thats classed as muddy?.

Muddy to me is when I dial Treble to nothing and crank bass? or if you roll a tone knob all the way down.

Or does loads of gain/saturation also get described as "muddy" aswell?.

12. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

When Blackouts are tuned to E, E flat or even D the bass and treble have a nice balance and the low mids give it quite dark growl in comparison to other pickups. Lower thant that and with thicker strings it gets a bit too much and it's not as easily salvaged with EQ. I tried Drop C and C with a D'addario 12-60 set and while I didn't find the sound muddy it did feel somewhat hollw and the bass overbearing. I did EQ my amp differently and the sound improved but still it didn't have that crispness as in E and E flat. It was most apparent when playing along with songs in C and drop C, the tone was not as present as in standard tuning. I think this is what people might refer as muddiness.

13. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

I used Blackouts when i played a 7 in my old band (still have the same guitar, i just stick to 6ers now) and we played in drop G i had zero issues with flub. I played a 5150 into my Basson cab and it killed everything.

All this talk about these pups makes me want to dig out the 7 string again...

lewis likes this.
  14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

do it!!!

15. Paul McAleer

Paul McAleer newborn baby

Had blackouts on an RG2228 into a boosted triple rec, didn't have any issues with it. I thought it sounded pretty cool.

The only reason I don't have it know is due to wanting to try other equipment out. If I were to be stuck with it, I'd manage.

lol that's interesting, now I kinda wanna look that up. That was a heavy album!

I heard lots of tone criticism on their last 2 albums though.

16. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

I am using a blackout neck in bridge position and definitely is the best active metal pickup I have ever tried and one of the best absolute tones I have ever gotten out of a guitar: cuts thru, bright but not harsh and tight with present bass response. Very well balanced tones, fluid but clear... I haven't tried the bridge pup but I'm sure I won't like it if all people say is true but I have no need in trying since I found "the tone". True is that I am willing to buy an EMTY neck and switch them around to find which one I like the most for bridge and for neck.

Blackouts neck in bridge position for the win. It just solves all the complains about the bridge pup...

cwhitey2 likes this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

this is really interesting.
    Do you happen to have both and can do some sort of comparison video/tone demo?

18. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

This is interesting because in my guitar at least the neck and bridge sound basically identical. the bridge is a little tiny bit sharper but I'd imagine that just has to do with placement. Also I feel like worth adding is that they sound much better without a tone knob.

lewis likes this.
  19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i think thats a universal thing now tbh.

20. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

No I don't. I just got a neck one pretty cheap with the electronics and as I want to go as cheap as possible I bought it thinking in buying a bridge model later on but it's not going to happen... gonna buy another neck model but compared to a 707 it has less output and sounds a lot brighter (the 707 is in a different guitar and can't swap them as mine don't have the quick connector thing)