So thoughts on Skervesen FF8 strings

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by neuk01642, Feb 8, 2018.

1. neuk01642

neuk01642 SS.org Regular

Anyone have one?
    Anyone hear good/bad things about them?

They look unbelievable and seem to be spec'd well but it's still a big chunk of change if they play like a dog.

Any thoughts options, anecdotes appreciated

Cheers

Matt

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

which model? they have a lot of shapes.
    i've have no problems with the skervesens i've played. i used to own 3 now i own 2.

neuk01642 likes this.
  3. neuk01642

neuk01642 SS.org Regular

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Looking at the Shogi 8 string neck-thru. Swamp ash wings with a wenge/bubinga neck poplar burl top with BKP Ragnarok front and back and the World domination mod.

4. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Skervesen makes good stuff, i owned a raptor ff7 and only negative was how unbalanced it was, a lot of head dive which was hard to handle when playing live. It had extra thin body, so i would avoid that option.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    neuk01642 likes this.
  5. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Had two, still own my Shoggie 8 and love it to death, really.

Wolfhorsky, Isurez and Amanita like this.
  6. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

For another opinion, I have a chambered ff7 raptor and think the balance is fine.

7. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Probably depends on the body wood you use and the headstock shape you pick. A 4x4 headstock is probably going to balance better than an 8 in-line.

Every Skervesen I've played, and I've played quite a few, has been a very good instrument. If their shapes and options float your boat I think you'll be happy with their craftsmanship. I'd put their fretwork right up there with EBMM, these days.

8. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Dig up my review of the Shoggie 8 I have. Short story: Built perfectly, sounds and plays well but volume and tone pots are probably linear instead of logarithmic so they work completely wrong. I still haven't received any answer from Skervesen when I asked what I can do about it so I'm not too happy about post-delivery service. They did communicate just fine when the guitar was being built though and accepted a little finish style change too.

I'm not in love with the BKP Juggernaut in the bridge either as I feel it is so aggressive in the mids that it isn't that well suited to anything but metal. If the Ragnaroks are like that then I would choose something else unless you only look to play hard rock/metal stuff on it because for that the Juggernaut works really well.

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

ragnaroks definitely have that juggernaut midrange to them but it's not quite as omnipresent.

10. neuk01642

neuk01642 SS.org Regular

Has to be said I'm leaning away from the Juggernaugt anyway. Not made keen on the fact that its so low mid focused. I love mids, don't get me wrong, love mids but on an 8 string, for my money they need to be more upper mid focused so I'm heading towards maybe Aftermath bridge and Mule neck or something like that. I'm not sure what happened with your pots, its the first time i've heard anyone unhappy with that. Sorry to hear.

11. neuk01642

neuk01642 SS.org Regular

Fred the shred.
    So here's a thing. I'm on the cusp of pushing the button on a Shoggie, I've been talking direct to Skervesn after Bart made an approach on this forum with some factory guitars (I double checked his identity via the Skervesen website email form and it all seem legit). However it's come to payment time and the only way to get them any money is via bank transfer. I was hoping to pay by CC as it gives me a lot of insurance and some recourse if things go wrong. This is making me a little twitchy and I'm not entirely happy about just slinging a few thousand of my hard earned to a bank account.

How did you pay for yours? Did you deal with them direct?
    Let me know.

PS Anyone else buy direct from them and deal with Bart and transfer cash directly to their account?

Matt

12. Fred the Shred

Oh, I always dealt direct, of course. I had to search mail records to even remember whether I had used paypal or bank transfer, and I transferred the money directly. Skervesen is 100% legit and I've known them for ages now (and got smashed on their Soplica more than once :lol: ).

This is the Skervie I currently own, by the way. Somehow my own pics of it have gone to parts unknown, but managed to find one of her original beauty shots:
    [​IMG]

neuk01642 and exo like this.
  13. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Just saw this on FB, Fred. Vodka guitars FTW!

14. Fred the Shred

I got myself and plenty others very happy with some 3 bottles of Soplica at a certain Musikmesse. I was served revenge via Jagermeister on my last day of demoing - keeping the focus up from 3PM onwards was... interesting. :lol:

exo likes this.
  15. neuk01642

neuk01642 SS.org Regular

That is a thing of beauty.
    Yeah, I'm on the cusp, got a walnut shoggie with a maple board bubinga and wenge neck BKPs on the bench and I just need to get them their cash...

Was pretty settled on the idea but heard a couple of horror stories via a couple of FB forums from reasonably reputable individuals so got a bit fluttery.

16. Fred the Shred

I can only speak from my own experience with my own guitars and a few others belonging to friends of mine which, granted, is a limited sample by nature, but I haven't heard anyone complain about any relevant QC issue for a long while now, and I didn't find anything off on those I did play, else the proverbial shit would have hit the fan, as I am picky and make no effort at all to hide it.

I'm sure a quick look around is bound to net you a few more samples so that you can have a better notion overall. I'm usually super concerned not specifically about one thing getting through QC, but rather how available to sort it a brand is, which does wonders to mitigate whatever risk of a QC happening actually is. If I do find a lot of fuckups or poor customer service, it's immediately a hard pass from me, to be honest.

17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

they did a complete rebuild for no charge on an sso member's guitar since he wasn't happy with his original build. Skervesen are a very solid choice from what I've seen as of late. @Wolfhorsky and some other members on here who actually own skervesens can prob chime in.

18. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I feel called out ;-) i own 3. I like them the most of my axe family. My fav one is my own custom design - Lupus.

19. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Contacted them over email about my issues with the volume and tone pots and now a month later no response. They also didn't respond when I originally mentioned about these issues after receiving the guitar. Not too happy about after-sales service based on this.

20. Isurez

Isurez Skervesen Guitars

Hello Mikko!
    Sorry for the whole situation!
    Please contact me via bartlomiej@skervesen.eu - you will get the answer much faster.