So my first show is this weekend

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by Cynic, May 1, 2012.

1. Cynic

Cynic Bored Stiff

Don't know if there is already a thread for this, but I was just wondering if you guys have any tips for being on "stage?"

Pav likes this.
  2. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

awesome man. My main tip would just be to soak it all in and enjoy as much as possible. Don't sweat the small stuff, because the crowd won't care. Your energy and music are the important things. When someone screws up keep playing and act like it never happened.

If you drink, don't get drunk. Oh yeah, and record the gig! Good Luck, you'll have a blast i'm sure!

3. Jake

Jake Done buying guitars

All of this :yesway:

also dont trade performance to try and look cool, I saw two guitarists completely throw off a set by one of them trying to throw his guitar upside down and spin in a circle at the same time, and the other one trying to be a ballerina without a wireless. If you can pull off guitar spins then its fucking awesome however if you cant (I sure cant and dont want to risk breaking my gear to do it) its just not worth it. :2c:

4. ozzman619

ozzman619 SS.org Regular

smoke meth, lots and lots of meth

5. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

Know your gear and tape down loose cables.

Tune.

Look at the crowd every now and then.

Enjoy yourself and make sur you let the crowd know you're enjoying yourself.

Tune.

6. CTID

CTID Duh-Jent

The number one thing I can think of:

Do not stop playing. Never ever ever ever stop playing. I don't care if every string on your guitar suffers catastrophic failure and snap all at the same time, you keep on playing, damnit.

And if you guys lose your place, as bad as it sounds to try to get back together, don't stop and start your song over again. It just looks bad to the crowd.

Be polite to the other bands (if any) but don't kiss ass. If you kiss ass, people will know what you're doing, but don't be an asshole or nobody's going to want to play a show with you ever again.

Also, practice setting up and tearing down so that you can do it quickly and get set up quickly and play, and when you're done, get out of the next band's way so they can set up.

7. Cynic

Cynic Bored Stiff

Thanks for the tips so far, guys!

@ vbshredder: Haha, I'm not going to drink. And yes, I'm fairly certain it will be recorded.

@ 717ctsjz: Yeah, I get what you mean. I'm just now getting semi-comfortable playing while moving around. I would rather sound good than look goofy and sound bad.

@ ozzman619: I'd rather the cocaine. All the cocaine.

@ CYBERSYN: Taping down lose cables. Gotcha!

@ CTID: Never even thought of practicing setting up/tearing down. Thanks!

8. Tones

Tones Red paperclip trader

Just pretend you're in the garage you play in. Try to blank the crowd out, but at the same time, pretend you're playing at an arena. Ya dig? Move around, look good, practice, never stop playing no matter how hard someone messes up.
    [​IMG]

9. JStraitiff

JStraitiff Melodic Mamma Jamma

I would say have some fun.

10. Ghost40

Ghost40 Dude

Don't stop playing if you hit a wrong note or miss one. Just keep going. Also, if someone else hits something wrong, don't look at them and make weird faces. Just keep on truckin. This draws attention to the mistake.

Acknowledge the audience. You don't have to stare them down... but making eye contact off and on works.

Most important, relax and have fun!! I'm not huge energy or anything, but I like to move about, to and fro...

11. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

Bring an extra guitar. If you don't have one, arrange to borrow one from a friend. Extra guitars are mandatory.

And have fun. See if you can get a friend to videotape it for you. You only get to play your first show once.

12. poisonelvis

poisonelvis windowlicker

#1-DON'T OVER THINK IT!!!,just like a practice,but with more people,and make sure yer' rig is ready to go,back up fiddle,ect,and have fun,and don't just stand there,i point out people i know(thats just me bringing my crowd into it).

13. Moostifur

Moostifur New Member

This is super crucial. Years ago the other guitarist in my band made the mistake of only bringing one guitar. Broke a string 2 songs in... needless to say the set stopped there. SUCKED.

Oh also, don't let people rush your sound check. Bad sound/ levels will make an amazing band sound mediocre at best.

14. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

Except between songs

15. CTID

CTID Duh-Jent

nope

16. Cynic

Cynic Bored Stiff

No videos up yet, but here's a couple of pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Me in the white shirt doing a stomp or some shit)

[​IMG]

17. Windwaker

Windwaker New Member

It looks like rock-age was achieved. How did you feel about it? Learned anything?

18. Cynic

Cynic Bored Stiff

^ Practice, practice, practice. Bring a longer cable.

19. patrickWLV

patrickWLV New Member

watch youtube videos of your favorite guitarists and learn killer stage presence from the pros

20. CTID

CTID Duh-Jent

At least it looks like your vocalist didn't just awkwardly stand there as most vocalists tend to to on their first shows.

Then again idk if it was his first show or not.