So my budget for a new 7 went up...no idea what to do or where to look

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Restarted, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Of the ones you mentioned I'd go with the KM7. I have the Floyd Rose version and it's a solid player.

2. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

Pics please!

Yeah looks like this is what I'm gonna do. The choice between mk1 and mk2 is not easy to make though. Aesthetics vs specs.

Kiesel replied. They recommended the rush option for an extra 10% to guarantee delivery in 12 weeks. I either have to skimp on options (basically ditch the top since that's the only option I got that's not basic) or pay extra. Not feeling like doing either

3. Hogie34

Hogie34 SS.org Regular

I'll get you pics of the 6ers. Only have pics of my 7's in the iPad . For the money, they really are hard to beat when you consider actual specs. I will say though that the MKII's neck feels completely different than the MKI. A little thinner and in my opinion closer to the thin feeling Ibanez necks. The MKI has a beefier neck. Both are extremely playable though.

Attached Files:

4. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

That just solves it for me. Aesthetics and specs go for the MK-I. I mean I love both finishes of the MK-II but not for me. That white satin though...

5. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

6. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

7. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I would go with Kiesel. See if they have an in-stock model that fits your needs. If not, consider if it is worth waiting 3-4 months for something with your specs. They have a 10 day return policy if you don't like what you get so at most you are short shipping costs.

8. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

Whatever I choose, I will be receiving it December 22nd. My mother in law will be carrying the guitar from the US to me when she visits. The problem with Kiesel is they cannot guarantee delivery within 12 weeks unless I pay 10% extra.

9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

In that case you either pay extra or take a gamble as currently Kiesel has two Aries AM7, one DCM7 and several non-returnable VM7s in stock. To me it sounds whatever you buy you can't really easily return unless you can have your mother in law also take it back if needed within the return period.

Most of the issues with Kiesel seemed to be with the bridge of the non-multiscale Aries not being tall enough compared to the neck height. Haven't experienced anything like that with my AM7. If there are build issues Kiesel still has to fix them afaik or you can try negotiating a small refund. I ordered mine all the way to Finland so returning was going to be expensive. Mine had a few minor cosmetic issues so I negotiated a little refund for mine so ultimately I'm happy with what I got.

10. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

Yeah it's difficult to return but not impossible. She's only staying for 9 days, or I can ship it from here. My issue is that I don't want to skimp on options, and I don't want to pay an extra $200 just so they guarantee shipping within their normal build time (site says 8-10 weeks, e-mail said 10-12 weeks, I need it in 12 weeks. Gotta pay extra. Sorry but nope).

I don't like the in-stock models to be honest. Well, I do. But then I'll end up ordering a Kiesel with a nice top really soon. The last guitar I bought was 10 years ago and ignoring the last 2 years where I didn't play much, I had no incentive to buy another one for 8 years. I'm very happy with my GAS control but I just KNOW that if I buy a plain one, I'll buy a quilt/burl/flame top one too soon after

11. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

what about the new LTD Head sig? love that purple

12. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

25.5 scale, extra thin neck and I've never tried an Evertune before.
    But yes, it's gorgeous.

13. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

"Requirements: 7 string, fixed bridge, scale longer than 25.5. Multiscale not a problem. Neck not too thin. Prefer no black guitars but if it's too good to pass, I wouldn't mind. I play mostly metal (and dislike the "djent" thing)"

I'm surprised no one suggested this. Jackson USA B7. Ticks all your boxes and it's a better guitar than all of the guitars mentioned( same level with a nice Kiesel).

https://reverb.com/item/6519282-jac...-neck-au-natural-guitar-w-hardshell-case-mint

You can thank me later ;)

AkiraSpectrum and Restarted like this.
  14. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

Holy crap yeah that's absolutely perfect. Not usually into the natural maple colour but that's a pretty sweet looking guitar

15. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

There is also a Satin Black one with EMGs but I'd personally go with the natural. Not only it looks better and more expensive, it also has the D activators. It's a wicked guitar man. I think there is a clearout at that store. They just sold a bunch of Chris Broderick soloists for half price as well ( B7 is half priced too, looks clean!). Unfortunately for me not only CAD is weaker but with larger taxes and that ridiculous shipping charge I could not afford one(wAtched them go one by one). But you seem to be in luck.

I should also let you know that I own a Kiesel Aries 7(mine cost around 1500) but for the money I would definitely choose the B7.

16. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

Yeah I saw a Chris Broderick for sale at an insane price. I hope they're still available in a month. I'd really rather avoid having to ship a guitar to Texas and keep it sitting there until December 21st

17. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

Looks like they have 2. One is 100$ more for some reason! Yeah you can keep an eye it since you have another as backup.

18. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

After careful consideration (super slow day at work so basically 9 hours of guitar research), I've decided on the KM7. The rest of the budget can go towards a nice vacation, a new tattoo or just doing the adult thing and saving up.
    Thanks to everyone for all their suggestions. Accepting all good wishes and prayers now since I'm going to wait around 3 months until I can get my hands on it :eek:

19. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Great choice. Have fun with all that extra cash.

Restarted likes this.
  20. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Plek’d MkII