So let's talk double-thumb...

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Murmel, May 19, 2012.

1. Murmel

Murmel Fapping to J-rock

I'm in the process of relearning how to slap. I used to only do it Flea-style, and that way has too many limitations.

The new hand/thumb position is super awkward, but I guess I'll get a hang of it.

Now, I also want to learn double-thumb, would be interesting to know how many people on here that can actually do it well.
    I would also like to know if I'm gonna hit the string with my nail or not on the way up, because it's filing my nail the way I'm doing it now :lol:

This video will keep me occupied for summer...

2. MetalBuddah

MetalBuddah 0000 00 0 0 00 000

Im gonna definitely have to try this. Isn't this the technique Tosin applied to his 8 strings?

3. prashanthan

prashanthan SS.org Regular

I saw this a few weeks back, still a long way from getting it though. Keep practising though, you'll make faster progress than you might think! I think you do hit it with your nail on the way up, I couldn't find any other way around it, and it was painful at first but I'm used to it now.

If Tosin does apply this to his 8 strings, that's just ridiculous. I'm finding a 16.5mm spacing on my Ibby 5 string slightly too tight for this, couldn't imagine doing it on a guitar!

4. Murmel

Murmel Fapping to J-rock

We gotta take into consideration that he's an absolute monster at guitar. But yes, I agree with you.

And come on, he's black, he's a bass natural :lol:

5. Enselmis

Enselmis SS.org Regular

I actually find it easier to do on a guitar. It takes a little more precision but much less effort to actually get a good sound and feel.

I'm jealous of everyone with the hitchhikers thumb, makes it so much easier...

6. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

Norm Stockton is pretty good at double-thumbing. I asked him for some pointers on it while talking to him after a show, and he actually suggested growing the thumbnail out slightly specifically for use on the upstroke.

That approach actually works well for me. Since the attack of the note is the string hitting the frets it doesn't make any difference tonally to snap the string with the nail. Plus it's easier to control the timing and dynamic level relative to the downstroke than with the whole fingertip in my experience.

To break it down, for the downstroke I basically just do a rest stroke, striking the string with the knuckle of my thumb and traveling through the string to rest on the one below. For the upstroke, I use the bottom (outer) about half of my nail. I slide it up against the string, relaxed, by rotating my arm from the elbow, then snap the string partly by continuing the rotation of my arm but also by simultaneously straightening my thumb.

It sounds kind of complicated but once you put it all together in one smooth motion it's not that hard, provided your friends low string height and minimum neck relief are present. :D

I also find this technique easier on guitar than on bass! My approach is a little classical/flamenco guitar like (that's my musical background, in fact) so it gets along OK with narrower string spacing.

7. prashanthan

prashanthan SS.org Regular

Just been trying it on my acoustic now. You guys are right, it's nowhere near as bad as I thought, barely have to touch the strings to get the sound, especially with the pops. Bass, on the other hand, you really have to dig in to get it to sound good... but it's much more badass on the bass! I think it's what he's doing here at like 4:40...

Victor Wooten "the lesson" live: EMGtv - YouTube

8. MetalBuddah

MetalBuddah 0000 00 0 0 00 000

I am like 98% positive he said something about a Victor Wooten double-thumb technique in an interview where he was showing the techniques he uses. Either way...the man is a monster but would never have gotten that technique without good 'ol Victor Wooten :metal:

9. JStraitiff

JStraitiff Melodic Mamma Jamma

Thats actually really awesome. Im gonna try to apply this to my 7s.

10. TheytoldmemynamewasMike

TheytoldmemynamewasMike TheytoldmemynamewasM

I've been practising double thumb slapping for almost 5 years now(I was into it since the first years I played the bass),and I found Wooten's instructional videos and approach to be the ones that fit what I wanna hear and do when I slap.Although,I can assure you that in the end everyone develops a technique according to his/hers needs.Wooten,and Abasi have both really big and I think double jointed thumbs,so it is critical to understand that you will never play excactly like them!You will have to see what your own thumb and fingers can do when it comes to double thumbing. Nevertheless,it is one of the most fun and versatile techniques I know(learn)! You can groove,solo,make percussive sounds and even djent along with the guitar! Practice it slow and daily and you will see results in a couple of weeks! :D

11. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

I tried with this technique for some time ages ago. I use the flesh on the side of my thumb which has the unfortunate side effect of severing flesh from the bone. :(

So, I found out there was a German bass player who had dealt with this problem. Gerald Reese, inventor of the [/i]/[b/]Slap Ring[/i][/b].

*careful typing that into Google*

:rofl:

Gerald Reese.com - Home

I bought a pair and they work ok. I played a lot of acoustic finger style using the thumb to tremelo on single strings, but the technique is much more physical on bass and it didn't transfer.

Overall, if you can do it long enough that your skin callouses and toughens up enough it might be a useful technique. It didn't work out for me.

You'll probably need this article if you put serious effort into acquiring this technique.

Blistered Plucking Finger/Help - TalkBass Forums

Happy slappin' !!! :shred:

12. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Bass Player in Exile

[​IMG]

13. carcass

carcass SS.org Regular

thank you very much, this is very interesting and I started practising this right after I watched the video, really great

14. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

I have a 6 string to learn this on.... At least it's not a Gerald Veasley signature with the tight string spacing that it has.

15. JP Universe

JP Universe Giggity Contributor

I've been trying the double thumb stuff a lot lately with not much luck however am developing a good slap and pop technique on the guitar and some cool licks :)

16. simulclass83

simulclass83 Yes, pancakes.

If this is what Tosin does, then it boggles my mind. How the f...?

17. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

Tosin does a downstroke with his thumb, then an upstroke with his thumb, then plucks with his pointer and middle fingers.

Watch this. At about 1:00 he starts going into his double thumbing and explains how to do it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFoF70lIAI0

18. Nautilus

Nautilus Lefty supremacist

yup. Tosin's always credited the technique to Victor though...he's just managed to transfer it over to the electric guitar.

19. Amanita

Amanita SS.org Regular

Victor always credits his brother Reggie with showing him this technique ;)

20. iamok

iamok SS.org Regular

for interesting slap techniques, check out the 26 second mark. Still trying to figure this one out.