So if Legator is crap...

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Xfing, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Xfing

Xfing SS.org Regular

Howdy folks! First post here.

I've fallen in love with the look of the Legator Ninja 300-Pro 9-string with the Midnight Burst Burl finish at first sight. This has got to be the best and most tasteful looking guitar I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, it's disappeared from the maker's website recently, just as I'm close to done saving up for it.

And then I read some of the threads here, mentioning how Legator is pretty much firewood quality in general. It has obviously made me wary of these guitars, but then again, I don't want to get a boring plain black Ibanez with a scale of 28 inches that'll have the 9 string be floppy at all times. Schecter Hellraiser is a bit out of my budget for the time being too, not to mention that guitar is also 28 in.

So I've been thinking about Agile. They're very decently priced and have some surprisingly favorable reviews. Any advice? I'm just after a well-made 9 string that looks nice to boot and has a 30-in scale. As for budget considerations, it's worth noting that I live in Europe, so there's pretty much no way around an import VAT tax and customs fee, which I need to account for. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Taking a gamble on importing an Agile is your best bet. Much better quality and appointments than Legator.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  3. Xfing

Xfing SS.org Regular

All I needed do know :D

I only wonder how much more expensive they get if you order a custom finish. I'll need to contact them about this I suppose.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Too much. :lol:

Anything custom falls under their Custom Shop and practically doubles the price, as it's meant for ground-up custom builds and not small changes like a different color.

Get the cheapest guitar that fits your spec requirements. If you like it, save for an aesthetic upgrade later.

5. Xfing

Xfing SS.org Regular

That might be the way to go. Aesthetic and other changes can be done on-site at some luthier or something, greatly minimizing the costs, I suppose. Thanks for suggesting this, I'm usually wary of significant modifications.

BTW, is anyone aware of any Europe-based manufacturers, so that I could save those 300 dollars on shipping fees? :D

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    LordIronSpatula likes this.
  6. Xfing

Xfing SS.org Regular

Ok, ordered this baby:
    [​IMG]

Hopefully the finish grows on me. If not, I'll have it re-done to something like the midnight burst burl, hopefully not for too much money >_>

7. Rollandbeast

Rollandbeast SS.org Regular

I actually like this finish lol ! too much burl guitars these days :lol:

crg123, LeviathanKiller and Xfing like this.
  8. Xfing

Xfing SS.org Regular

Well I chose it over that other glossy black finish they had, that one felt awfully common, uninspired and canned to me. This one is quite pretty, but I can't help but be bothered by those 3 adidas stripes, lol

Not saying it won't stop bothering me the very moment I start playing on the instrument. I can imagine that if it plays well, I'll grow to love it. Oh well, gotta wait for a few weeks until it ships now

downburst82 likes this.
  9. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I LOVE Agiles. I’ve got some fancy-ass stuff these days, but Agiles punch way above their weight. I’ve never sold an Agile, because they’re value is just crazy good.

The only thing I’d recommend is that if you don’t jell with the EMGs (and do the 18 volt mod before deciding so) look into the Cepheus pups. You should be able to pick up a set on the cheap (though, 9s are rarer), and they’re amazing pickups at any price.

10. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I love my agile 828. I have yet to play another 8 string that can compare.

Hollowway likes this.
  11. Xfing

Xfing SS.org Regular

This is all sounding very encouraging!

One thing tho - is the head of this guitar really as short as it shows in the pics, or is that an illusion becuase the head is bent downwards?

12. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

It definitely looks like its the right size for the body in real life. I have two of the Interceptor Pro 930s and they are fantastic guitars. I actually like the EMGs in mine because I'm tuned down (like two steps below standard on the bottom string) and the actives are little more clinical sounding, which is great at that tuning. Legator were blowing out the Josh Travis 9-strings for the holiday sales for like $800, so I'm thinking that the 9s aren't making them much money and they'll probably only do customs/signatures. I guess JT was the only one left with a 9, since Gianelli plays Schecter now.

13. Xfing

Xfing SS.org Regular

Affirmative, the JT signature is the only model they've got left in the store. It doesn't look anywhere as good as the midnight burst burl though. I'd appreciate the impressions of someone who actually owns that guitar, since if it happens to be good and well-made, I might be interested in trading someday. That's how much I like these colors :D

14. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Good case of the djents

Agile, get agile, always get agile, agile, agile, agile. I love my agiles I have a 828 and a 930. And I'm either getting a 727 or a harley benton 7 string fan fret. My current 7 string is fine but I want a 27 inch scale 7 string. Mine is 26.5 inch scale.

15. Xfing

Xfing SS.org Regular

Really surprised how good a reputation these guitars have. I'm getting more and more excited about the purchase by the moment :D

Acaciastrain360 likes this.
  16. Djentlover666

And legator is good but overpriced. If you compare most of their models to agile. They are ridiculous. But I do love all the finishes they offer. My 9 string was only $700, neck through with emg 909s. and legator wants $1000 for a bolt on, with house brand passive pickups? And a maple neck, ewwww (mines ebony neck. With a black quilted body) again I'm not cutting them but the prices should be so high for a basic entry model is my point.

17. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Yep Legator was basically just “Agile or worse” quality with a better marketing team.

But in the US Agile has a fantastic return policy and their custom order pricing means you can get a really unique Korean made guitar at about the same price as anyone else’s top end Korean imports.

18. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel 55.0r6 R36ul@r

While we are on the subject of Agile, does anyone have experience with Hadean, also on the Rondo site? They have a super cheap RG8 clone that I was looking at, but have no clue if Agile's cheaper brands also carry that bang-for-the-buck status.

19. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Y’all should suggest Kurt does a run of 28.625” scale 6 string Septor elites :)

i.e. “Septor Elite 628”

Dying for one!

20. Djentlover666

No but I imagine it's just as good as the 827 agiles but with possible crappy tuners and weak pickups. Would be good for nodding. But by the time you get it all done could of just gotten an agile 827.

BrailleDecibel likes this.