So, I played a Stilleto Ace Combo today...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by eaeolian, May 24, 2007.

1. eaeolian

eaeolian <b><font color="red">The Church of SEVEN</font></b

...and holy crap, did Mesa fix this amp! I played a couple of the series I Deuce and Trident models, and flat-out thought they sucked.

I heard about the "Holywood Mod", figured it was smoke, and thought this would be one of Mesa's short-lived mistakes...

Man was I wrong.

This is the first EL34 amp I've played in a long time that I really liked. Channel one can go from a nice, spanky clean to a nice grit, and channel two goes from a nice grit to rip your head off, depending on the mode.

This is the first time I've seriously considered selling my Triple. I almost walked out with that amp...

2. sakeido

sakeido <b><font color="#E5BC84">Is a Pastafarian</font></

Whoa, the gain channel will hit head ripping territory? That doesn't sound at all like the other ones I played. Is it a really stock Marshall sound, or does it get into boosted JCM800 territory?

3. jaredowty

jaredowty SS.org Regular

It's definitely more into boosted JCM800 territory IMO. It's got a nice amount of hot-rodded Marshall girth to it. I love the gain channel, it's awesome and can definitely rip your head off with the right settings. The clean channel is pretty damn good too for an El34 amp. Definitely an great amp that's on my list of future amps to obtain...

4. eaeolian

I was running it on Fluid Drive with the gain on about 2:00, and it was ripping nicely - plenty of gain.

Let's put it this way: I've spent most of the night toying with the idea of selling my Triple and buying one. Seriously.

5. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace

Intriguing. I tend to believe you, I have never played one. How does the midrange character with heavy distortion differ than on your Triple? What about the responsiveness? Did you try it with a V30 cab or C90?

6. eaeolian

It was the combo, so it had V30s. The mid is very different than the Triple - it's much more "dense" and growling - it sounds kind of like the "Master of Puppets" tone on steroids.

I could even get the V30 "honk" under control...

7. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees <b><font color="#87F717">Sarcy English Twat</font>

I remember trying out the stilletto about 2? years ago or more, and I sent it back about 30 minutes after plugging it in, it was such a massive let down it was unbelievable.

This does sound promising, which are the models to stay away from then?

8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer

i thought the ace was a 112?

9. Matt Crooks

Matt Crooks User

EL34 FTW!

It has to be a serious amp for you to think about giving up the triple.

I've given a lot of thought to getting rid of the RK and getting a Triple and a EL34 amp (either Splawn or Bogner).... now I may have to really think about the Ace. I bet I could trade the RK and not much cash for a Triple and an Ace... damn GAS!

10. eaeolian

Two years ago it would have still been the series I, which sucked all sorts of ass. The series II ACE 2-12 combo is what I played yesterday, and I couldn't believe it was the same amp. Gutty, gritty, just nasty enough, and nice bottom end response - I was using my Soloist 7 with the new Wolfetone rewound JB in it, and Dave walked in and said "woah, I want one of those - what amp are you using?"

I had played a JSX (not bad), B52 (yeech), Triple (to check the pickup out, see my post on it, and I *still* hate that amp with V30s), VHT Deliverance, and then the Ace - and the Ace might have been the best of the bunch. I was stunned by how gutty the amp was, and the presence it had - more like a VHT than a Marshall, in some ways, but with that Marshall "density".

11. eaeolian

They make 1-12, 2-12, and heads.

12. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees <b><font color="#87F717">Sarcy English Twat</font>

Yep, it sucked seven shades of shit, i was really looking forward to it, but it had no gain, got flattened in the band mix by everything else, sounded flat and bland and had no balls. Couldn't believe it was a mesa, and their marketing about how it'd "complement" a dual rec was just complete rubbish, I tried to like it, but it was turd.

Sounds pretty cool actually, more like what it should have been two years ago. Basically a gutsy 800 with more defined tighter low end and without needing to boost it?

13. eaeolian

Yeah, pretty much - it's still got the Mesa preamp flavor a bit, too. The amp seems to have caught up to the marketing.

14. Cancer

Cancer Cancer:The Crucifuct

Curious, did you boost it with anything, or just run straight?

15. Drew

Drew <font color="#C35617"><b>Fear the Polo!</b></font>

Really....

Mike, you've heard the tones I've both dialed up with the Nomad in the past, and have been getting from the Tech-21 lately. I've been seriously curious about this amp ever since - what are the odds I'm going to plug in with it and dial it into the sort of territory I've been heading with the Trademark 30?

16. eaeolian

A cable (cheap GC cable, at that) straight in. No gain issues - plenty o' grind.

17. eaeolian

Yes, in a word, although the top end may be a little "stringy" compared to what you're getting...

18. sakeido

sakeido <b><font color="#E5BC84">Is a Pastafarian</font></

How does it compare to a Mark IV? I like the comparison of the MoP tone on steroids... I feeel the GAAAS creeping in.

19. eaeolian

It's definitely *not* a Mark. It's not a Recto, either - it's like meeting in the middle between the two, in a lot of ways.

Granted, this was about 20 minutes of playing in a store, but it's enough to make me really, really curious about spending more time with one...

20. metalfiend666

metalfiend666 -

As you're an endorser, are you able to borrow one for a week or two for a teat prior to making a decision?