So I got my discount coupon for Axe Fx II a couple days ago!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by casketshrine, Jun 12, 2012.

1. casketshrine

casketshrine SS.org Regular

As the title suggests, I got the coupon in the email a couple days ago but I am a little hesitant now.

My current rig is:

Axe Fx Ultra (usually for direct recording, sits on my desk)
    ENGL E530+Mesa 50/50
    Marshall JVM 205H
    Marshall 1936 2x12 cab

When I got on the wait list, I was quite sure I'm gonna buy it but then I also fell in love with the 5150III 50 watt head. I am going to Thailand in September and will pick one up from there plus I've also got a Marshall 1960AV on order with the Marshall dealer here.

With all that gear, is it really worth getting the Axe II? Selling the Ultra would be have been a great option but there are barely any gear whores here such as myself who'd pay the kinda money I'd wanna let the Ultra go for. At this point, tonally there is only a marginal difference that I hear between the Ultra and the II. The real reason why I want a II is cause of the direct USB, onboard headphone jack and the firmware updates. Is it really worth paying $2200 when I already own the Ultra? Help me decide!

2. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

Sell Ultra, get Axe FX II Ultra. If it has standard/ultra models, i don't remember.

Anyway, the amp modelling and cab simulation resolution and quality has gotten so incredibly far on the II that you'd be silly not to get it while you can. Apparently the latest firmware update shits on all the previous ones by miles as far as realistic feel and response and faithfully recreated amp sound goes.

3. Runander

Runander SS.org Regular

Axe-Fx II Ultra? You sir, must come from the future :lol:

4. casketshrine

Only if selling the Ultra was this easy being in Pakistan where even people who can afford great gear resort to playing through shitty ass amps.

5. Runander

Runander SS.org Regular

They don't know a good amp when they hear one?

6. casketshrine

They do, they just don't care enough to spend $$$ on it. There are a few people with tube amps but most of the people here are into Line 6 Spiders or Marshall solid state/digitals or wanna play through Pod/Vamps.

7. guy in latvia

guy in latvia SS.org Regular

Sell the discount coupon then ;)

8. casketshrine

I will give it to someone if I am absolutely sure about not getting the II. I am still pretty much for the idea, just having a hard time justifying it.

9. guy in latvia

guy in latvia SS.org Regular

Out of curiosity, how does one get a discount coupon and how much of a discount are they worth?

10. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Not only is that a douche move (you don't PAY to get in line, you simply submit your email to Fractal and wait for your turn to purchase, attempting to make money off of it would be in poor taste), but it won't happen. The orders are tied to your email and Cliff/Danielle keep track of them to make sure the person buying is the person who was pulled in the queue.

11. casketshrine

Axe Fx II is priced at $3000 on Fractal website. If you get on the waiting list, they send you a promo code which entitles you to buy the unit at the originally advertised price of $2200. So $800.

12. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Not sure if the international site offers a different price, but looking at it currently it's $2599 without the coupon, $2199 with the coupon. It's only supposed to take off $400.

13. casketshrine

"Good news! Your name has come up on the waiting list to order the Axe-Fx II.

The link and coupon code below entitle you to $800 off the list price of $2999 for the Axe-Fx II.
    You may also purchase any other items from our store when you check out."

This is from the email Ive received. Plus I just checked on the website, to buy it without the code, its $2,599 but if you click on the waiting list link, the price is $2999. Not sure if...

14. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

List price =/= actual sale price. :lol: ;) Trust me, if you don't want to wait, it's $2599. If you get the coupon, it just drops the price from the waiting list page, which is why there is a link to a separate page from the normal purchase without coupon page.

15. casketshrine

Given the crazy shortage of EVH 5150III 50 watt heads across the world, I might just pull the trigger on Axe II. Maybe just save up and get the EVH next year. I wonder how good of a job they did at modelling the EVH channels. I heard only one clip that Nolly put up but it didn't quite sound like the EVH head.

16. ConnorGilks

ConnorGilks Still can't play.

[​IMG]

My opinion would be to get the AxeFX II and sell the Ultra. There is quite a difference in tone, not just marginal. Nothing amazing, but the other upgraded features are worth it for sure. The noise floor, according to Cliff, is at least 10db better than the Ultra. The two DSP's (one dedicated to amps only) makes everything run much easier as well, especially when using two amps and some effects. Personally the reason I waited for an AxeFX II and decided to spend more money on it instead of a used Ultra was in large part the Tone Match feature. I think that's infinitely useful live and in the studio. That's just three things that I find worthwhile but there's much more.

17. Chris O

Chris O Not The Dude...

The Axe 2 is worth the ugrade in my opinion. I got mine, and sold a Mesa MkIV, Friedman modded Metro Plext, and a Splawn Competition. Yes...it's that good.

18. casketshrine

Which poweramp are you using with your Axe II? Does it replace all your tones perfectly that you got with your previous amps?!

19. Chris O

Chris O Not The Dude...

I just use a Rocktron Velocity thru a Greenback loaded 4x12 in stereo. Sounds HUGE! Yes, it replaces them all and then some. The feel is there, I get full tone at low volume, and it has more versatility. I don't need outboard effects either so it is much quieter, and no maintenance to speak of. Too many pluses in my world, never mind the fact I have access to about 80 GREAT amp tones.

20. Chris O

Chris O Not The Dude...

BTW - I don't like the Axe as much with a tube poweramp. To my ears, tube power amps "color" the tone too much, and since the Axe already "models" the tube, it isn't really necessary in my eyes...