So Gigantour Was Ummm.....

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Aberak, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Aberak

Aberak I is Smart

Kinda fucking lame, the sound dude should be fucking fired. It sounded like shit, even Broderick's tone sounded shitty last night.
    I don't know if it is because the tour just started, but every band seemed to have an off night, no one was on the same page.
    I'm pretty bummed about it I was expecting a lot better.

You couldn't hear shit, I could barely tell what song was being played.

MerlinTKD and Nerina like this.
  2. rcfreak7772000

rcfreak7772000 SS.org Regular

i didnt go this year, but last year i went to the show in columbus ohio, and the sound guy messed everything up there too

arch enemy had a pretty good sound, but opeth, peter's guitar wasnt even audible in the mix, and the bass was very low, so all u heard was mikael singing, playing rhythm and lead guitar over a drumkit :/

lamb of god, the mix was good, but they cranked the master volume down, and i couldn't hear anything over the crowd yelling :/

and i left b4 megadeth went on :p

blah, horrible

3. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

i could have told you that before you even went dude, it was a shit line up anyway

4. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

In Flames is part of a shit lineup?

I mean, I would have gone to see them and JFAC but that's all.

5. TheAceOfSpades1

TheAceOfSpades1 SS.org Regular

I have some friends who are trying to convince me to go along with them but all I wanna see is High On Fire, JFAC, and Chris Broderick do some shred but I don't know if that's worth 50 bucks...especially if there's gonna be sound trouble.

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I saw Lamb of God once.

The sound was awful. I couldn't hear anything aside from white noise throughout the entire show. :(

7. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

these days? yea, i would

8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

you think they wouldnt play any oldies and not put on a good show?

9. Carrion

Carrion Et tu, Brute?

How was High on Fire?

10. MorbidTravis

MorbidTravis Banned

i went in 2006, and if you are on the floor, you wil ge ta face full of bass, and thats it, i couldnt hear opeth, i heard bass.

11. Eli14

Eli14 I can haz title?

Apparently they've been playing more old stuff like Scorn, Graveland, and Jotun at recent shows. I know they did the first night.

12. Kotex

Kotex Trippin' balls

+2

13. Anthony

Anthony Banned

I'm going to Gigantour next week. Broderick's hooking me up with tickets :hbang:

14. ChaNce

ChaNce Auto-banned?

Just got back from the Houston show, stood on the rail behind soundboard, right in the middle, ears right at the player's level. A few random thoughts:

Sound was pretty good, Megadeth was... weak sounding. Drums wern't crushing, bass was basically non-existent, couldn't really hear Dave sing or play. Chris sounded pretty good. Honestly, I think it is a function of these stupid auto-recall settings for each song, all controlled by a computer. There was a different soundguy for each band, as expected, and Megadeth's was pretty useless, weird little vocal surges, wrong guitar loud during solos.

On the other hand, In Flames and COB sounded heavy, COB was surprising, tight and "fun". JFAC was pretty killer.

Guitars: The ESPs in COB were sick, Alexi switched between a yellow and red sig, and the other guitarist had these really sick Random Star guitars, the best being a white one with a reverse headstock.

In Flames was playing a vintage LP Custom (sounded great, very thick without muddy) and something else. Don't remember.

Megadeth: Mustaine played all Dean sigs (at least prior to me leaving after Chris's "solo", more on that in a sec), and Chris played his Ibby custom 7. Just an amazing guitar, it is exactly what I would get (reverse headstock looks so good on those 7s).

I've read that the set tonite for MD was pretty typical: blocks of 3-4 songs with no break, 4-5 blocks per set. Chris's solo was at the start of the third block, in the middle of À tout le monde. I was excited, since I could see the setlist on the soundboard. Chris's solo was about 30 seconds, a bunch of 8 finger taps, and right back into the set. Bummer.

The one thing I noticed was how dated MD sounds now. Lots of chugging on one string, chords-on-the-downbeat choruses. A few songs stand out, like Hangar 18 (a masterpiece, especially during the traded solos at the end), but overall Megadeth now sounds like what it is: historically interesting but wholly uninspired now, more akin to a museum exhibit than an avant garde gallery. In Flames, COB, and JFAC bled up there, while Megadeth went through the motions. The only one who looked like he had something to prove was Chris, who by the way is GIGANTIC in person. Just a force on stage. Also, I hate the "rule" that Mustaine has that everyone moves to the back of the stage during solos. It just looks so forced.

BTW, Chris is human, I did hear a small mistake during his solo. I'm assuming that he did it on purpose to keep the guitarists in the audience from hanging themselves in the bathroom during the show:bowdown:

15. lailer75

lailer75 Smart Dumby

wow gigantour sucked? what would you expect from a tour headlined by one of the all time WORST live bands.

16. ChaNce

ChaNce Auto-banned?

It didn't suck. Everyone but Megadeth was great, and Megadeth was old, not bad. Broderick was amazing.

17. _detox

_detox lurkin'.

In Flames are playing oldies for sure, first day of Gigantour setlist:

[​IMG]

18. JBroll

JBroll Hard-On For Freedom™ Contributor

Fail.

Jeff

19. lucasreis

lucasreis ERG Ambassador

I wish I could see In Flames live.

I´ve seen Megadeth 2 times and they were good when I saw them (1995 and 1998)

20. Nats

Nats SS.org Regular

gigantour 05 fo lyfe!