So, Fallout 4...

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by SkapocalypseNow, Nov 14, 2013.

1. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Was anyone else a little disappointed by the game? I mean I did enjoy it on the whole but but it had some issues that held it back to being a good game as opposed to a great game.

Good points:
    Art direction/style/Graphics. Loved the look of the world
    Companion side quests especially Nick Valentine
    Diverse world and locations

Bad Points:
    Weak main story and many weak missions. No real god tier missions (think thief's elder scrolls guild heist from oblivion)
    Settlement and building related tasks are not enjoyable. I found that it was really forced on you.
    Radiant quests.
    Character animation and movements, yikes. Party like it's 1999.

This is all just my opinion but I would like to know if anyone else shares a similar sentiment?

On a side note I'm glad that the mentioned the TES-VI is a long way off. I hope the get their engine up to par and maybe get some new blood to help write better stories and missions.

2. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I didn't mind the main story, but I also felt like I had no reason to go back to playing once I finished it, not until I want to start a new character and try the 2 other outcomes of the story anyway.

I agree with you on settlement building, it is forced on you, next to completely useless aside from being a time sink, and pretty rough to use without some mods.

I still haven't come back to any of the DLC and figure I'll do it all in one swoop when i go back to a new character. I can probably shave off a lot of time if I just focus on the story missions and not waste dozens of hours on settlement building.

3. ferret

ferret Not worthy

If I told you I have nearly 200 hours into the game and have yet to do any DLC OR the main quest (Never been to Diamond City), what would you think?

4. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

200 hours and I've beaten the main quest once. I like walking around and shooting stuff.

5. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

The missions overall were a little weak. Short lived, too. There never seem to be truly engaging stories, or even lengthy ones. Oblivion seems to be the last game in Bethesda's open world RPG catalog that had some truly in depth quests. I remember in Skyrim just sort of bumbling haphazardly through the Companions quests and being surprised when it was over so soon. I felt it was a tad bit of a let down, and was even more bummed out to find out that the main quest/all other faction quests were pretty much just as short and unfulfilling. It was just a bit of a bummer, and that carries over into Fallout 4. There's a lot of content overall if you want to do most things in the game, but if you're legit role playing you end up getting sucked out of it much more quickly. Still, the general gameplay is still fun and I have wasted many hours on the game. I just haven't been able to stick to one "role" for too long before I'd run into unavoidable barriers forcing me out of the characters mindframe.

Perhaps a bit nit picky, but I also didn't like the fact that a family was chosen for you/forced upon you as a part of the main game. Kind of hard for me to play the role of a lesbian who dislikes the idea of having children when I'm forced to have a husband who impregnated me and I'm bumbling around the wasteland crying about "where my son is." Perhaps easier for some to not care about, but as a lesbian who has no desire to have kids IRL, it's a tad jarring to not be able to roll said character in a game made by a company that generally makes things like that totally up to the player. It doesn't outright take the fun out of it for me, but it's a something I noticed straight away. Doesn't help that you can just bum rush out of the vault, moping out your dead husband, straight into the arms of Cait, Piper, or Curie. It's just weird. :lol:

As for the settlement building, that's absolutely debatable. I personally love the idea of it. I'm impatient though, so scrounging up a bunch of junk to build stuff isn't for me. I cheat, and build amazing things, then don't feel like I deserve the outcome. My wife, on the other hand, is very meticulous. She hordes junk like it's nobodies business. She spends hours upon hours building settlements, and they are amazing. She builds things that look like they belong within the game; things that look as if they were built into the vanilla game. She builds crazy cool and fully functioning towns, and they make me envious that they're not in my game. lol The best part about it though, is that if you don't like it, you really don't need to do it to any real extent. A few points require you to do a small bit of tinkering around, but the requirements are negligible. I think it's fantastic that they implemented it for those who would like it, but didn't force it as a main point for those who couldn't care any less.

Radiant quests are a tad boring, but it does give you incentive to move around the map once you've completed a large chunk of the game. I neither like nor hate them. They're just there.

Animation in these games is always a let down. They serve their purpose, but a lot of it is just stale. I doubt that will change much in the future. Bethesda games aren't ever really cinematic in any way, and I doubt that will change. The games are fun though, and that does trump the not-so-top tier graphics (including animations) less of an issue though.

I wouldn't really count on it. I'm willing to bet the next TES game will be insanely great fun, but I wouldn't hold out hope that they won't just have a buggy engine with stiff animations. I do hope they focus more on more involved stories for the quests though. Great questlines are still absolutely possible in the newer games... For whatever reason though, they seem to want to to a bunch of small bits of content that equals one huge piece of content.

6. BlackMastodon

Don't get me wrong, I spent 120 hours on my 1 play through I think and spent a lot of it getting sucked into the settlement building. I definitely enjoy it, but I just wish there was more of an in-game benefit to doing it. The only one I can think of it having the mortar strikes and calling in back up from the Minutemen. I think the abruptness of the ending just made me feel like all the settlement building was for nothing except for bragging rights, which unless someone sees the settlements themself, isn't even worth it.

Also Piper never wanted to get with me so f**k this game, 0/10. :lol:

7. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Been using almost entirely pure melee with the exception of some explosives. Bad part is, optimizing a melee build can detract from Lockpicking/Hacker skills which will bar you from a quite a few goodies along the way. Good news is, if you scavenge all the ammo you find when you kill ...., you basically almost get stimpacks entirely free from Trashcan Carla, because that ammo will more than pay for it. It make take a little while to get enough, but it's worth it. Using a Heavy upgraded Sledgehammer, doing 159 damage. One shotting most things except Mirelurk Queen and things of that nature. Quite enjoying Melee as it's the closest thing I'm getting to Skyrim remastered until October.

8. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

FO4 50% off on Steam.

And for some reason its getting a lot of negative reviews lately. Man, people are nitpicky :lol:

9. BlackMastodon

The Steam crowd is f*cking ridiculous when it comes to the reviews. As soon as there's more than one DLC they get their pitchforks out and start dragging the average rating down as far as they can. If I ever take the ratings on there into consideration I take it with a heaping pile of salt and read a good mix of good and bad, but usually I just check review sites for more objective opinions.

10. Fraz666

Fraz666 SS.org Regular

230 hours.
    then I installed some mods (with a good rep).
    a crash, so a restart of the game.
    ALL the old saves are lost.
    I can still play from the 230th hour, but the saves are marked with a [M] and I can't finish some achievements

life is darker now

11. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

mods > achievements.

I installed mods as soon as they started coming out. And hey, starting a new game is really fun.

12. ferret

ferret Not worthy