So... 2016 smartphones. anybody upgrading?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Forkface, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

I got me a Galaxy S6 Edge back in December practically for free (coming from a Galaxy S3), and I love it to absolute bits. It's gorgeous, fast and snappy, the screen is damn incredible, and I've taken some sweet friggin' shots with the camera.

My only complaint about it is that it isn't bigger. I initially wanted to get an S6 Edge+, but the price was too high compared to what I got the regular Edge for. Tried an S7 Edge the other day, and it felt perfect. I still like the design of the S6 Edge+ better though. I guess I'll wait for the S9 to come out before my next upgrade then. :rolleyes:

2. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I got the s7 edge a few days ago. Have to say I like it. I was actually set on the normal s7 but when I checked them out at the store I changed my mind. I really like the screen to body ratio. Especially coming from a 4.5 inch screen, 5.5 feels great. And it still fits in my pocket, although when I'm biking I sorta wish it was a tad smaller. But yeah, overall it seems pretty great.

3. Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis SS.org Regular

I've had a Galaxy S7 since about a week after they came out and am very happy with it. It still pissed me off though that nobody makes a phone with a physical keyboard anymore. I loved my Droid 4 and the ones before that.

4. Maybrick

Maybrick SS.org Regular

I had an HTC One M7 which I loved (had it since release) but upgraded to a Nexus 6P in December. I really like it, especially the large screen size which I know isnt to everyones taste.

5. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Lord Green Fingers Contributor

Just upgraded to the Galaxy S7 a couple of weeks ago. So much better than the LG G3. Battery lasts longer than a day with normal use, great camera and looks nice in Gold Platinum too.

6. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Not really a gadget guy anymore; not like I used to be.

iPhone 5s .... the bed, and while I use it for almost nothing but texting and work emails, I gotta get those emails. Eligible for upgrade, so went in and grabbed the 6s. I thought about the 6S+, but cmon. That thing is friggin HUGE. The 6s was big enough that I was uncomfortable with it in my pocket the first few days, and I dicked up all my texts/emails because they changed the keyboard layout. Camera is nicer by far though.

Used to it after a week and don't need anything bigger. I hope they don't all go to this phablet format, can't do it.

7. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

I finally decided to take the jump in May - I usually buy a generation behind, and I was still on a Galaxy S3. The S7 is mindbogglingly fast, the battery life is excellent, and the UI is almost perfect (admittedly, to someone who used an older version of TouchWiz for a long time.)

Plus, GoogleNow is 100% ready for prime time with this phone - all of the voice stuff works great!

8. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

+1 to that. Grabbed an S7 Edge the other week, coming from an S5 - really digging it.

9. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

I have failed my goals of keeping my G3 for atleast two years. I've had 19 months of every day usage with no problems, but now my g3 has been acting up. The usb-port isn't too good anymore (I have to wiggle the charger if I want to charge my phone and then I can't touch it or it stops charging again) and the sound quality in calls isn't good either. Lots of crackling and hissing sounds on the earpiece. Oh well, this phone has been dropped on the pavement and floors at least 20 times, it has swam in the ocean, I have stepped on it, my son has played with it extensively as a baby... So maybe it's time to retire this and put it to desk drawer or sell it to somebody

At first I was going to get a new lg... But then I thought that the g4 isn't such a big upgrade and I'm not a bit interested in the modularity of the g5. V10 could have been a good phone, but there's already a new one coming, so I didn't want it either.

Then I looked at HTC and just said "nope". There's something on htc's new products that just don't jive with me.

Next up was sony. I don't like the new xperia xa's (and other ones) somehow. They just seem a bit lackluster to me. Don't really know why.

Then samsung. Damn expensive and I really don't like the new direction they've taken with those edge displays. I feel like I'd do a ....ton of errors with the slanted edges.

Motorola had one interesting model and it was the."unbreakable" one, but it has a plastic screen and I feel like it could be scratched pretty easily (could be wrong there, though...) so it's a no go again. Damn.

So then I ordered a oneplus 3. It was relatively cheap and the specs were good enough. Dash charging was one of the biggest selling points to me. It also looks quite attractive (I got the soft gold one). There's no sd slot, but 64 gigs make up for it a bit. It should be here tomorrow or friday at the latest. I hope I don't have to regret my decision.

10. Pav

Pav ???

I have one month left until I can upgrade to an S7 Edge and I am beyond excitebike.

11. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Op3 arrived on thursday. I almost immediately rooted it (can't stand all those ads on the webpages and apps). This phone works like a charm. Not a single hickup or any lagging so far. I can't really imagine why I would pay double for some other phone when I can have something like this for such a reasonable price.

12. Mik3D23

Mik3D23 things

I'm glad to hear this. I just ordered one today.

How long was your wait? It seems to be on backorder everywhere

13. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

7 days. I got my phone from a finnish phone operator.

There was a bug which turned the phone back to silent mode after using the alerts slider button (and it would correct itself after switching the slider to silent and back again), but it was fixed in a day after I found it. I couldn't download and apply the quickfix version of the update since my phone is bootloader unlocked and rooted, but op provided a flashable full rom version of the update, so I could flash it and immediately root it again afterwards.

It's great to have a phone company that doesn't void your warranty because of rooting and actually encourages for you to do so by making the bootloader unlockable straight from the phone's options. :agreed: