So... 2016 smartphones. anybody upgrading?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Forkface, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Arkeion

Arkeion SS.org Regular

I always crawl back to the iPhone, but I can't recommend the Nexus devices enough. I've always loathed Android until I bought a Nexus. Vanilla android is where it's at. The bloatware on other flavors makes me nauseous.

2. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I'm pretty happy with the HTC 816 - it does all the usual functions I need and runs on prepaid so costs less, which is a must for me these days as I refuse to pay $70+ a month for phone service - or more if you decide to pay for your phone over a contract. I'm now running $45 for all the data i need (3gb) and unlimited talk/text which is good, not great. If i lost it i'd probably get anther used one.

3. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I have an S5, my contract is up now but at this point I'm not really seeing any need for an upgrade, for the first time really. Prior it would be things like going from 1280x720 to 1920x1080 (since I have a whole bunch of my Bluray's ripped to 1080p), size increase, etc. But my S5 has been going great and I'm not too keen on the constant push for even higher resolutions that have zero benefit on a screen that size. The new S7 is 2560 x 1440 which is double 720p but not double 1080p, so the upward interpolation would likely make a 1080p movie look worse than just viewing it on a 1080p 1:1 pixel ratio screen. Not that I can say it would be noticeable on a phone screen, but still.

Besides, my S5 is water proof already, already has a microSD slot, and already has a removable battery. So I'm not sure what the S7, or another phone, would improve. The camera... definitely the camera, but I really don't use the camera much outside for the occasional shot while on vacation mostly and the S5's camera is still pretty damn good.

Rev.

4. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

My contract is up with my Galaxy Mega (stop laughing!) and I'm thinking about a new phone. With all the companies asking for me to *gasp* pay for a phone- which to me is ridonkulous - I'm thinking of a used Note or something or going outside the box and getting the new Caterpillar phone. Thermal imaging cam built in? Dig it. Check for drafts. Take it swimming and take pictures? Dig it.

I long for the days when the phone companies only burned you for the bill- not leasing the damn phone to you too.

5. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I just don't need a new phone. I bought an HTC One M7 just after it was first released and it's still going strong.

6. asher

asher So Did We

Got a 6S+ over Christmas, because my Lumia Icon was just getting too long in the tooth. I'm pretty anti-Apple on the whole, but it's been rather a treat, and can't see any reason to move on until (or maybe IF) Verizon gets a flagship level Windows Phone (the 950/950 XL aren't CDMA, hence the iPhone).

The thing's huge :lol: but I've adjusted much better than I expected. No way could I use anything bigger, but the regular 6S is just too small for me.

7. Arkeion

Arkeion SS.org Regular

My first phablet was the Nexus 6, and I thought 'Mother of God, I'll never get used to this monstrosity'.. but after using it just a few days, I don't see how I ever used anything smaller. Love my 6S Plus to death.

8. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

smartphones? I don't really follow trends or whatnot. Bought an iPhone 4 when it came out, used it to point it can no longer be used(battery/obsolete OS/etc). Got me an iPhone 6 last year will use it until the same circumstance(s) arises. I'm old fashioned. To waste money to keep up with the latest gadgets is worthless, to me at least.. Rather spend that kind of money on guitars or pedals. Sometimes it is cool to see all the specs and features manufactures keep coming up with to stay ahead of the pack..

9. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Nah, not going to upgrade my LG G3 anytime soon. It's still great.

10. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Lord Green Fingers Contributor

Still have my G3. Had it for over a year and it's still holding up well.

My upgrade isn't due till February but I may upgrade earlier and get the G5, that looks sweet. Still glad they went with a replaceable battery.

11. baptizedinblood

baptizedinblood Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢

I grabbed the S7 Edge last week, switched from my Nexus 6. Phone is rad as hell. I used to hate touchwiz, but now it's actually pretty damn sweet. Vanilla android gets too much praise IMO, it's boring as hell and the Nexus line of phones are way too barebones with specs that hang just barely under the flagships.

12. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

My iPhone 6 is still going really strong, so I'm not going to upgrade this year.
    My GF is due for a new phone, as the nexus galaxy is pretty outdated and can't even keep charge for half a day (lol).

13. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

I got a Galaxy S7 last week, as we're expanding from an iOS-only shop at work. It's actually really nice - easily competitive with the iPhone and seems a bit faster than my iPhone 6. I hated Android 4.x and the devices were slow as crap, but this one is nice. Would I choose it over the iPhone? Jury's still out. But this phone, combined with Android 6.0, make a very positive first impression and I imagine even better for the Android faithful. Google Chrome is trash (I love it on desktop...) - I like the Samsung browser paired with ad block.

Visual Studio debugger won't connect to it, because of course it won't.

14. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

No intentions even going for 'smart' devices - been working with IT security, so..
    Still have an old Siemens A36 :spock: no Swiss-cheese hole-poked Java, no GPS 24/7 2meter resolution BBWY, no ID theft...

Ai, that was so uncharacteristically offtopic; couldn't help myself ;)
    I do have an older Nexus-1, rooted, so works without card, use it as a control surface.

15. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

How'd you characterize the security flaws of the current smartphones, hence your reluctancy to upgrade and being a professional?
    I'm fairly convinced that ID theft is a fairly rare crime amongst uninitiated yet moderately cautious individuals, so actively preventing that seems like overkill. GPS being on? I haven't faced any cases where anyone has cared to use that data, so I have literally zero negative impact from that technology.

16. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Identity theft is almost always initiated by something else such as theft, a scam, or algorithms that pump out numbers and names until they work. Phones are less secure than desktops, but not so much so that I'd argue they pose a serious risk (aside from losing an unlocked phone that is). If I were that concerned about ID theft I'd personally just pay $10-$20 a month to have someone watch my accounts and credit score.

17. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

I just updated my G3 with the new 6.0 firmware. Gosh, it's much better than lollipop ever was! The phone is lightning fast now and everything is so freaking smooth. :agreed:

18. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Lord Green Fingers Contributor

I've been looking forward to that update but there's no sign of when us in the UK will get it :noway:

19. ferret

ferret Not worthy

I've got Samsung Galaxy S4s, and I honestly don't know of any reason to upgrade. Still getting new Android builds, no speed or battery problems.

20. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Have you tried to search for updates on the pc suite software-thingy? My phone didn't get it OTA, but I connected it to my pc and there it was!