SNES Classic Edition announced

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by StevenC, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Yeah and unfortunately people actually are willing to pay $250 for a $90 gadget.

StevenC likes this.
  2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yup, and it's always been the way. In 1995 my grandmother managed to get a Buzz Lightyear for my brother for Xmas, and was offered many times the prize by everyone in town. And sometimes companies just genuinely can't get the supply that some hits demand.

3. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

So my coworker, who works at BestBuy at night, told me BestBuy wasn't taking preorders.... Soooo I took the first half of the day at work on release day, will drop my son off at daycare early, and proceed to wait on line for 2 - 3 hours and hope people haven't been camping overnight. Said coworker also said "Well, if you happen to come in this particular Sunday morning as we're opening, there MAY be some Nintendo Switch's in stock." That turned out to be a fruitful endeavor:fever:

Mathemagician likes this.
  4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Years ago, when I was trying to get a Wii for the kids, I had a friend who worked at WalMart. He strongly hinted to me that a shipment of Wii's were coming in on X date. When I got there about an hour and a half before the designated time, there were already three people waiting in line. The store ended up with three Wii's, so I was empty-handed. Another rumour a couple weeks later turned out to be only one unit, and I was the second one in line, after waiting 2 hours. And both times, there were quite a few folks who got in line after me.

I would think that the NES mini and SNES mini would be a lot less in demand, but it seems like the supplies are kept proportionately low as well...

Good luck!

5. Ralyks

Now said coworker is saying Bestbuy DID take preorders (at 3 AM, like every other company did, which is a load of BS), but is going to see how many are shipped when the stock comes in.... Sooooo hoping they send more than the preorder amount.

6. Mathemagician

People were reporting gamestops getting quoted like 2-4 units depending on store. It's LOW volume.

7. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

Nah, nostalgia levels are super high these days, and the buying the original games has become prohibitively expensive for most people so these 'classic' systems are seen as the cheap way for them to relive their childhoods.

8. bostjan

Erm, some of the games are prohibitively expensive to obtain (Earthbound, I'm looking at you), but most of them are really cheap on eBay ($10-30 or so). It depends on which games you want. You could easily get a working SNES with 3-4 original popular titles for a hundred bucks, or you could easily stick to one rarer title and blow a thousand trying to track it down.

9. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

Honestly, $30 per game IS prohibitively expensive to most people lol. I have worked in a game store (and currently own) for over a decade and I see these trends. I can list how much each of the games on something like the SNES Classic system go for without even looking at ebay.

A good working original console will be $60-70 by itself
    Mario Kart - $30
    Star Fox - $15
    Earthbound (yes this is the big one) - $150-200
    Super Punch OUt - $25
    Secret of Mana - $50
    Super Mario World - $20-25
    Super Mario All Stars - $20-25
    Super Metroid - $50
    Donkey Kong Country - $20-25
    Super Mario RPG - $60

It adds up pretty quick with only half of what the SNES classic includes, and the fact that many TVs that people have today don't support the old composite hook ups and You can see why the demand for a convenient all in one unit is so high.

10. bostjan

I just bought Super Mario World for $12 off eBay. I've seen a lot of those recently for $5 less than you list with buy-it-now, but that's not really a big disagreement. Your point is still valid and I believe my point is still valid as well, since I was only saying that I would have expected demand for SNES mini to be less than demand for the Switch. If the Classic Collection for the Switch had come out when it was expected, then that could have put a dent into that demand, but, with that delayed until after the SNES mini comes out, who knows. Nintendo is doing some smart things in the short term. I worry that their strategies like this, over time, will piss off enough people to drive away customers. But that's a complex issue...

11. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

It's fine, but Yes, many people that I encounter falsely think that these games will be dirt cheap just because they are old and don't realize they are quickly becoming highly collectible. I'm personally not interested in any of these 'Classic' systems because playing the games on anything other than original hardware feels hollow but to each their own and I can see why the appeal is there.

12. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

I have a fair-sized collection of game consoles including the SNES. For all of them, I buy a console with games, then sell the games off on ebay or Craigslist. This means that I often get a console for half the going rate or sometimes free. I then use flash cartridges like the "Everdrive" line to play games. This allows me to play games on real hardware. It's a very feasible option for most everybody. The problem is that you can't line your walls full of old plastic boxes, but that's the difference between a player and collector.

I've been wanting a Virtual Boy for a couple years, but they're pretty expensive, typically $100-$150. I recently found one complete with stand and visor in working condition with six games for $118 shipped on eBay. The games are worth about $50, so I'll have a working VB for under $70 once I sell the games off.

Overall, video games are a cheap hobby compared to guitars. How much did you spend on your last 3 guitars?

13. Mathemagician

I'm just not interested in "clutter" anymore. Any high I get from buying a physical copy of a game that can induce that glorious glorious nostalgia is soon trumped by "fuck...where do I put this?"...

I've realized that collecting just isn't for me. More power to the collectors though, and digital is great too, you mostly get collectors who want the item to have it, not to hoard multiple copies hoping that the price will increase.

Because people like me will just buy a convenient digital copy - like Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars, one of the best rpgs of all time and stay out of the physical market.

14. Ralyks

So now my co-worker that works at BestBuy at night told me they got a shipment of 82 Super NES Classics in. And they only took 9 preorders.

Looks like I’m going into work late and show up outside of Bestbuy at 8.

CrazyDean and Mathemagician like this.
  15. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Good luck, mate! I hope you get one.

16. Ralyks

Couldn’t get the time to go into work late. Just going to hope either BestBuy or GameStop have extra in stock by the time lunch break rolls around.

17. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Well... Raspberry Pi3s were on sale for $40 (sans SD card) on Amazon today so my bets are hedged.

18. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

narad likes this.
  19. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

No luck here. It looks like people had better luck getting them in stores but not so much online. Scalpers are priced conservatively- a little over 2X sale price as opposed to 4X for the NES Classic- which might be a good sign.

20. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Mine arrives tomorrow. I'm supposed to give it to my sister as a present, but it turns out she went and bought one for me too. Our exchange is going to be weird... :lol: