Snap,CRACKLE,F**k

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Omzig, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

So been out of thing for a while the job i was doing with my bro's company ran over and on the last day working there i tweaked my back,blah blah blah anyways a back crack/fix/meds later i thought it was time to start messing in the shop again (i'll get around to updating my other build/refinish threads over the next few days)

So anyhows the point of this thread......Ive been on the look out for a 80/90's crackle finish guitar for a while now,but even lower end stuff like the vesters have started to go for stupid money....

So i found a few bodies/guitars i took apart a while ago but never gotta around to refinishing & grabbed so Montana colours and a can of there Crackle spray to do some testing

First up a Vester (manic II i think) body that was never used (vol/tone switches aren't drilled)

This i started with base coat followed by a few overcoats streaks of orange/red

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    FAIL......Yep it Has some Cool looking sections (rear heel is pretty cool) but the crackle is far to tight on the front and it's a bit Steel Panther/leopard print rather than Metal ;)

This body has an epoxy sealer coat so this one's coming off (rubbing alcohol/mess pad does the trick to remove the Montana stuff)

Well as i had 60% of the crackle paint left and most of the red (chili) i decided to slap it on an old Yamaha body that's been a bit of a paint test dog for about 5 years (i had prepped it to try some hydro film dipping but getting this right was bugging me ;) )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Much much better. I did manage to get it to crackle back to the base coat in a few places on the front,but as the splits are opened up i should be able to get some thinned out red dripped in to cover the white.....Keeper i think.

Its a bit of a mad finish to try and predict lots more testing inbound.

Shorting though my Crackle guitar pics folder i think i found the finish im going to work towards for the vester body

[​IMG]

Time to reorder some more paints......:)

All_¥our_Bass, KR250, budda and 13 others like this.
  2. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

Lol, crackle finishes almost never come out right the first time...but you’re getting it! Just an idea if you’re experimenting anyway: maybe try the soap method instead of actual crackle paint- it has a more “drastic” effect if that’s what you’re going for

Omzig likes this.
  3. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

DING DING Round 2.......

So got my 2nd batch of paints and used the following method

Key body and undercoat with all colours in there various places

Dry/Cure for 24 hours

Repeat with 2 lighter colour top coats 20 mins apart blending and making sure everything has a fresh coat of paint to react with the crackle coat,that got me here (looks like a mad Ice pop,montana white/gloss colours really do POP)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

leave the final coat of colours to vent 45 mins the apply Black Crackle top coat.....

[​IMG]

And FAIL......LOL

Seems at every point (front and back) were i have overlap of the colour coats the crackle top coat refuses to react and just leaves behind a sooty charcoal powder..... (id just rubbed some away in the above pic)

Im going to fire Montana an email and ask them if is an expected result......there blurb doesn't say you can mix base coats but it also doesn't say you can't....

So as the weather is about to take a turn for damp and nasty here in the UK ive decide to give it one more try tomorrow as it should be clear ,this time im going to go for just the Tropical blue base coat with a black crackle topcoat from the heel section above.

Might have lost this battle but the war goes on ;) will wait for a reply from montana about mixing/blending....hummmm

aesthyrian likes this.
  4. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

OK 3-4-5 time lucky ;)

[​IMG]

Love this blue,reminds me of how my HM strat would have looked 30 years ago!

[​IMG]

Looks pretty cool sofar and was still cracking somewhat when i left it this afternoon,i'll see how it looks tomorrow but atm i like it so PASS.

Will return to this if the weather stays OK and i can get hold of a few more SS bodies to test on,i want to try a few different spray caps as the fan type the crackle coat comes with is a bit to wide imo...TTFN

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I kind of like all the results so far. All em of.

LeviathanKiller and NateFalcon like this.
  6. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

If I could get paid for failing on custom paint jobs I’d have the greatest job ever!

LeviathanKiller and Omzig like this.
  7. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Yep i did kind like the results of the tests so far but i wasn't quite happy with the over all effect so they got wiped ;) good job this stuff comes off so easy with thinners

Haha yep would be cool to mess about with paint effect all day and get paid for it (i still want to try so sarren wrap-Urea/crystal and i have some hydro films to mess with in coming the post)

not so cool when its costing you £8/10$ a fail though lol ;)

Tinypic seems to be down atm so i will rehost if its still off in a day or 2 so here's and attached picy

8. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

Try putting a coat of clear over the multi colour before the crackle.
    The blue one looks great.

aesthyrian likes this.
  9. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Thats awesome.

Omzig likes this.
  10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

This thread is awesome. That is all.

Manurack, aesthyrian and Omzig like this.
  11. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Thanks PM i think your onto the secret sauce part of this effect.

I was just watching the Vreeble crackel video on YT and they also place a clear coat on 45 mins after the base (they use 2k but fk 2k im not going near that stuff it will kill you dead lol) which is left to flash for just 5 mins before they use there crackle and the top coat splits almost instantaneously!

So i think the 45 mins min wait montana suggests might be a little long for the degree of split im looking for (i see more tests to the horizon)

Ive had a quick poke about there website but i can't see a clear coat that is compatible with there "white" range of colours i have atm,thought there is one for the "Black/Gold" range which still has some great colours and are also compatible with the crackle top coats,next time im ordering i'll throw some one or two on to test with

as i have about 1/3 of the black crackle left i'll do some passes with just a base coat at 5/10/15/20 mins flash off to see what the reaction is like,i guess montana are expecting ppl to use this stuff on some art and craft projects not trying to turn back the clock to the late 80's ;)

Awesome waste of time and money lol ;) but thanks guys you make the modding and building all the worth while !

12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Too bad you're not in the US. You're knocking these the fuck out.

Omzig and aesthyrian like this.
  13. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

It’s all about who you know, and I know Crackle.

budda and aesthyrian like this.
  14. budda

High five.

Hollowway likes this.
  15. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

That red and black one is amazing!!!! I love crackle. I have two axes with that (BCR & Jackson) and am building my own V that will have the red/black.

Omzig likes this.
  16. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Hey guys

Thx for all the feedback and thread likes ;)

So had a nice warm clear day today so i thought id carry on with my Dr stein testing & have a bit more of a mess with this crackle finish

All colours have x2 mediums coats @ 20 mins apart,if you slap anymore of this montana stuff on than that it will run,but it has masses of pigment in it so x2 coats give very good coverage

Blue crackle was sprayed over after 45 mins vent (i did some tests with wait times under 45 mins but the effect it gives is very thin lines like glass spider webbing cool but not what i want so i thinner wiped it)

[​IMG]

Yellow : standard Crackle fan cap/x2 mediums coats of blue crackle

Light blue: standard Crackle fan cap/x3 medium coats of blue crackle

Green : standard Crackle fan cap/x1 medium coats of blue crackle

Pink: standard colour cap/x2 overlapping medium coats of blue crackle

And as i thought replacing the crackles "fan" type spray cap with the more focused cone that comes on the colours allows more of the paint to go down in one place and resist the breaking from the venting gas in the base coats

In case anyone is wondering this body is from a Maverick X1 that i keep around for testing metallic sprays on (no doubt it will now get stripped and fully crackled ;) )

cwhitey2 likes this.
  17. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Did some cavity area testes first and no lift/peel so i got x2 coats of Solarez on today (just did front /back didn't get chance to do the sides got called out)the Black crackle coat is now black not just sooty black should be able to get the sides done tomorrow then on to....flatting clear coat oh joy!

[​IMG]

18. budda

Damn.

Omzig likes this.
  19. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

A man of few words :) i like that,say what you mean & mean what you say hehe & thx for the feedback

So got around to flatting out the top/back today and noticed that there'ed been some shink back of the clear into the blue (somewhat expected due to the thickness of the crackle coat)

[​IMG]

Totally shitty weather here in the UK today so no sun shine UV and i need to add another coat of solarez so time to get Macgyver ;)

[​IMG]

Rebuilt from 30W UV insect killer from my local curry house (they've not to long had a refit and i found this in the skip,it just needed rewiring and re-jigging !)

[​IMG]

3rd heat thinned coat has leveled things up nicely,Still lots to flat out but a test on the upper horn 1200>1500>T-Cut>Wax & polish

[​IMG]

Oh joy onto flatting out all weekend lol, im sure like a lot of you here i have a love/hate thing with flatting out clear coats,hate to do it but love the end result.

Laters
    Giz

20. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

So im getting this flatted out,i can only stand doing an hour or so a night as its so mind Numbing lol

Looking at the clean maple FB/Headstock today and decided it needed to match the Blank-N-Blue body....

[​IMG]

Much much better (mav x-one body underneath/back slowly getting stripped for a multicolour/icepop crackle coat)

electriceye likes this.