Small Electric Motor Transports

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by vilk, Jul 24, 2017.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

We've all seen those goofy handle-less segways that look totally fun as a novelty. I'll admit it, I've wanted one as soon as I saw it. Also a product called the OneWheel, which is like a segway-skateboard. Someday...

[​IMG]

However, if you look up some more recent motorized scooters and bicycles, they seem like they are made to be a legitimate mode of transport more than they are made to be toys.

[​IMG]

I live about 16 miles from where I work, certainly even closer as a crow flies. However, because of where I live, the traffic can get pretty messed up. With optimal traffic, it's only a 30 minute drive, but at 5pm every weekday it's often 60 minutes. Sometimes longer if there's an accident. I'd say on average I'm door to door in just barely under an hour. Which isn't so bad, but let me tell you that it can feel frustrating to only travel 16 miles in an hour's time. With how much gas my SUV uses commuting (through stopped traffic) every day, I bet I could stand to save a lot of money if I commuted by electric motor. It would at least pay for itself within the first 6 months, probably

20 miles is just about the distance that most seemingly good quality small electric motors can take you on a scooter, bicycle, etc. One product called the EcoReco has a version which can go 40 miles. That ought to get me to work without having to worry at all about running out of juice.

Have any of you ever owned or ridden one of these things? What do you think about them?

[​IMG]

As someone who lives in a city where bikes are considered roadway vehicles that are prohibited from traveling on the sidewalk, these scooter type ones have an added appeal. IDK if I will ever really [have the spare money to] buy one, but if anyone has interest or experience with these kinds of products lets talk about them in this thread!

2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

If I still lived in the city, you bet your ass I'd already own a OneWheel+

vilk likes this.
  3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Yeah, OneWheels look super fun, but the battery on those only goes like 7 miles.

4. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Given that it charges in 20 mins, that's not bad at all, especially since a good amount of places I used to go where like, 20 mins away for 5 miles of city driving. You could find a car charging station/general receptacle (provided it's not something like a 30A charger) around the city and fuel up :lol:

5. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

I've thought of this too, my daily commute is 14 miles which is a breeze in the morning but can get a little jammed in the afternoon. I actually have a road bicycle, a cheaper entry level bike, no motor though, all chain and legs. My biggest problem is that it'd be very inappropriate for me to walk in to work dripping with sweat. Granted I could bring a change of clothes, but it'd still require a shower. There's no showers for me to use when I get there either. Unless somehow I could make it a one way bicycle on the way home in the afternoons.

There's also the fact that cyclists get hit way too often for comfort, at least where I live. Makes me nervous as crap to get on busier streets. Your only defense is be alert, stay visible, stay agile and travel in numbers when trying to commute in something lesser than a fully enclosed vehicle cabin.

But still, would love to look further into it.

This is the bike I have

Could easily be modded with add on after market motor kits.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P0IN13K/?tag=sevenstringorg-20

6. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Yeah, that's the same reason I'm less interested in bicycles. I actually really enjoy riding a bike, but sharing a street with city drivers is risking your life.

I have a friend who lives in Indianapolis and commutes to work by bike using their famous Monon bike trail, something ridiculous like 11 miles each morning and evening. Shows up all sweaty, but they have showers for him. Anyway, he got all fucked up, wasn't even the fault of bad drivers. He's moving really fast, signalling to turn, checking his blind spot, hits a pot hole, falls off and gets gnarled up. I don't need that. I think I'll stick to surrounding myself with a steel frame so long as I'm cruising on a motorway.

But sidewalks, so long as they aren't downtown, are probably wide open in the morning. You probably just cruise and cruise and cruise on one of those scooters.

7. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Hello from Denmark!
    I live in Copenhagen where there are more bicycles than cars. I have gone to work / university / school using a bike, so hopefully I can shine some light on the subject.

Here we have bicycle lanes which makes it really easy:
    [​IMG]
    However, if you don't have these, and will be trying to bike on the road along with a lot of cars I think it could get quite dangerous, especially because people where you live are not used to have people on bikes/small electric transportation devises in the middle of traffic, so they will likely not see you, and if they do, you might be on the receiving end of some road rage.

I know a couple of people that drive on electric bikes, and while they like their bikes, they also say that because electric bikes can go quite fast, they are harder to control, and again more dangerous than an old school bike, especially if you don't have your own lanes on the road.

Another thing to consider is weather:
    [​IMG]
    While going on some electric thing or a bike is nice in the summer, it is not so much in the winter, or if it is raining. You can still do so, but I would consider if it is a thing for you. Ofc it also depends on the weather where you live.

The alternative with going on the sidewalk with some small electric thing depends on the amount of pedestrians. If there is noone on the using the sidewalks in those hours of the day, it might work, but if there is crowded, I wouldn't do it.

8. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Oh yeah, winter gets pretty rough here in Chicago. I'd definitely be taking my car for at least a few months of the year.

But my office is the opposite direction from downtown, so the sidewalks look pretty empty every day as I'm driving past them.

So, even though the digital display in my Escape says that I'm getting 17.5 mpg, I've killed half my 16 gal tank and the tripometer only reads 95mi. It means I'm getting like 11 mi/gal it's fucking horse shit